Thread: Coaching

What a year 2005 SSFC/CFC

Coaching

I have been concerned for some time about our tactics, last night showed yet again that we are apparently bereft of ideas.

We seem almost unable to play on, and last night when we did, we slipped the ball backwards to someone standing still.The good sides this year, especially Geelong play on at all costs with runners everywhere. When we run we slip handpasses short too often to someone who is covered.

Last night the refusal to kick the ball at all early blew the game within 7-10 minutes. Pies got their tails up and we collapsed.

We can sack most players on the strength of last night but when any team gets flogged and are chasing all night they look slow and horrible.

You can see teams play us with a distinct plan, we seem to have no Plan A let alone a Plan B.

Our zoning is non-existent, we continually turn over soft goals from kickins. I am not sure even in the bad old days we gifted so many stupid goals to the opposition as we have in the last two months.

Our forward pressure is just nowhere near the now required standard. Last night we went inside 50 countless times without even getting a shot off. We are not even taking shots from 40 now let alone 50.

I must also agree with another thread that some of these 'senior' players who bring nothing to the side despite their experience should make a hasty departure from a financial and developmental approach.

It seems the players seem to have lost (or are not developing) their basic footy instincts and I think we should take a long hard look at our large and well paid coaching panel.
    Sports do not build character. They reveal it....Heywood Broun

I always turn to the sports pages first, which record people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures......Earl Warren

I think we have two distinct game plans:

1) Handball, handball, handball, kick to opposition.

2) Handball to feet of team-mate, get tackled and hndball to feet of team-mate, get tackled and hndball to feet of team-mate, get caught holding the ball.

Throwing random defenders forward is hardly going to give us another target, by the way. Maybe if we hadn't decided to alienate a mid-sized forward with plenty of goal-scoring ability, we could have had another target...

On the Rookie List
    It hurts to say it but it can't be the players fault when they are clearly not motivated to play at AFL standard. Other threads want wholesale clean out of the older players but many similar aged players have resurrected their careers under a new coach playing different roles.The Roos era is over! fantastic job but it's finished! The new coach won't have a bad bunch to work with and plenty of promising youngsters. I can't see 2009 being anything but a rebuilding year.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Whilst obviously dissapointed with our downturn in fortunes, one or two forum members may be somewhat smugly sitting back and feeling their powers of perception are perhaps a little better than their persecutors gave them credit for.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Blog Entries
    The leadership group has also run its race.

I am not usually one for predictions, but... I'll go out on a limb and say that there is not a player on our list that will win another (or a first) premiership with the Swans. We are 10 years, at least, off being serious contenders.

Veterans List
    Robbie Bloods whilst your observation may appear to have legs that we wasted the ball by foot in the first 7-10 minutes, I believe we may have had as little as 3 kicks up to the point of the first 4 goals to the Pies that came in the first 10 minutes.

Our problem was the inability to win a centre clearance or at least hold it up for a secondary bounce. Our midfield coach is a disaster and has been all season and in 2007. Why is it that when we play Collingwood we always try to negate their centre bounce players instead of trying to find the pill ourselves.

The real disaster with all this is that Ablett is bound to get a swift recall.

There is no doubt we all owe PR for his efforts. He has stated that he will not be a career coach, and I personally admire his honesty. He delievered what no other could in 70plus years. He will know when it is the time to go, and we should afford him that respect and loyalty.
    My concerns are:
    1. If, as he has stated he is undecided, then obviously he will not stay around for a re-build. If he would do that, then we need repay the faith as clearly, he wouild be the one to do the rebuild. If he is undecided or wont commit, then it is time to move on.
    2. My major problem is, the succession path. Horse is the annointed one. My view is that if and when PR goes, we need a clean out in the coaching panel, new blood, new ideas, new style etc. Horse belongs to the former generation, lets go for someone like Vossy or similar.

Quote Originally Posted by ROK Lobster View Post
    The leadership group has also run its race.

I am not usually one for predictions, but... I'll go out on a limb and say that there is not a player on our list that will win another (or a first) premiership with the Swans. We are 10 years, at least, off being serious contenders.
    it takes 72 years to win a premiership, we are tracking ok thus far toward that plan, quit poo pooing it!!
    Theres not much left to say

Regular in the Side

coaches

I asaid a number of weeks back that when we lost Ross Lyon was the beginning of our free fall. I am sure he was a strong backup and was one who got the midfielders working. What do we do we replace him with Blakey as forward coach when he was a solid defender and take Horse out of the forwards and we have gone backwards. Assistant coaches do help, agree we need to lookj again at ther panel. If Roosey is saying he is not a carreer coach I think its time. He is only interested in changing the way a head coach works, to something like a manager in soccer,

I really enjoyed last night when the camera cut to Malthouse. Even though the Pies were 8 goals ahead, the passion he displayed when his players made mistakes demonstrated the intensity he approaches the game - and that same intensity was evident in his players ...interesting isnt it?

Waz

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
    I really enjoyed last night when the camera cut to Malthouse. Even though the Pies were 8 goals ahead, the passion he displayed when his players made mistakes demonstrated the intensity he approaches the game - and that same intensity was evident in his players ...interesting isnt it?

Waz
    It's the oldest rule in teaching"your students mirror your attitude" Collingwood players were intense like their coach

Is it too late to implement a "Plan B" ? (that is if there is the remote chance that we actually have a Plan B)
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..................
    Chickens drink - but they don't pee!
    AGE IS ONLY IMPORTANT FOR TWO THINGS - WINE & CHEESE!