Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Who is worth trading for high draft picks?

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    the idea of trading O'Keefe is ridiclious, he is untouchable as is Malceski and buchanan. I think that there will be three to retire and one to be delisted or traded. Leo barry, Peter Everitt and Ben Mathews will retire, Nick Davis could be traded if there can be a deal. there will be more kids to come into the side next year, Brendan Murphy, Daniel Currie and others I can't think about at this stage. maybe I would like some feedback and suggestions.

I dont think there is anyone in our team who is untouchable. I think we have to look at which players we have who have high currency. I think the general consensus is that we are probably going to struggle for the next couple of years, or at least we need to struggle a little bit so that we can get back up into the elite sides.

Trade Nick Davis???? what? for pick 60? that is hardly going to change our side. If i was going to put someone in the untouchable category, i would probably put malceski in there because at his best he is an elite player, but would probably struggle to attract more than a 2nd round pick after his injuries this year.

If we really are going to revamp the team we have to trade out a player (or players) who is at their peak now.

trading players like ablett, fosdike, davis, lrt is not going to cut it. If you look at a side like Hawthorn they have traded out some of their best players to get in early at the draft (Thompson, rawlings, croad, mcpharlin). In okeefe and jolly we have 2 players who would be wanted by most other sides in the comp.

Having said all that, i think there is some merit to treating premiership players with respect, particularly okeefe ... so i think we need to ensure that the players were happy to leave, from memory jolly and okeefe have both held out on contract talks before.

Really the only players other teams will be interested in trading from us are those couple who have performed for us and are young enough that they are going to give their new club mileage.
    In all honestly I would not think clubs would go after a Malceski (for example) after this season whereas he would have been seen as an attractive offer 12 months ago.We have quite a few that would come into that category.

For round 1 or 2 picks:
    Goodes (past his best), Malceski (a return to top form looks debatable at best), Buchanan( inconsistent)
    For round 3+ :
    Ablett, Grundy, Davis, Fosdike
    Retirees:
    Barry, Everitt, Mathews, Hall(boxing beckons)
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    For round 1 or 2 picks:
    Goodes (past his best), Malceski (a return to top form looks debatable at best), Buchanan( inconsistent)
    For round 3+ :
    Ablett, Grundy, Davis, Fosdike
    Retirees:
    Barry, Everitt, Mathews, Hall(boxing beckons)

sometimes i really do wonder over the mentality of some of people on here. malceski has played in the same year as doing his knee and already we are saying a return to top form looks debatable ... ridiculous

goodes is apparently past his best, yet we all know he is injured and at the end of last year he played 8 weeks of the best football that you will probably see.

Buchanan - inconsistent? Am i the only one who thinks that he is one of the only players we have who is capable of consistenly breaking the lines and creating run.

grundy, davis, ablett, fosdike would not attract 3rd round picks, maybe very late 3rd round ... but more likely to be somewhere between 50-60. however i doubt anyone would bother with grundy as a trade. If he was available in the preseason draft someone might pick him up.

I could keep going, Hall should not retire ... Since he came back from his first suspension he has basically been our best player and if we were playing well i think he would be back to the form of 03/04/05/06. Leo Barry has already said he wants to play on next year, so he wont be retiring. The only one you probably got right is everitt and mathewss retiring. The rest is garbage.

Rok and Amon would have value.
    The rest not sure about.
    We need Jolly no doubt about it.
    ROK would land us the extra 1st rounder that would definitely go along way in the yrs to come.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by snappy View Post
    ROK would land us the extra 1st rounder that would definitely go along way in the yrs to come.
    It wouldn't "definitely go a long way". The chance of even a top 10 pick becoming as good a player as O'Keefe has been (and still is) is probably less than one in five. And unless that player went onto become a Gablett, Judd type, it is unlikely they'd make much difference on their own, especially compared to the impact of a club trading (against their will) a player who busts his gut each and every week (even when he's not having a great game).

If O'Keefe, out of contract, wanted to move (is there any evidence or even suggestion he does?) that would be a different matter. But when was the last time a club, any club, voluntarily traded one of its top 5 players still at the peak of his career? It doesn't happen, simply because the chances of the trade paying off are next to nil.

Veterans List
    Why on earth would you trade top core players like Goodes, Malceski and O'Keefe. Do that and you can get on for the spoon, put your house on it.

We keep our good core players, restructure with young players coming through to energise the core, reset and go for it. We still have a good core of players. I think it is a matter of throwing the inexperienced players in and leaving them there, we have no other option.

That we struggle to see which players on our list could be of interest to other clubs, speaks loudly of the state of our list.
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.

Probably the only player with currency would be ROK, I wouldnt suggest for a minute we trade ROK for a kid but for an established KPP.

The Swans only need minor tweaks for next year and continued improvement from the kids.

IMHO If we add a experienced KP defender and a established pacey midfielder to our current player group plus given improvement in the kids - Bird Jack Ves & Malceski comes back fit, Goodes is fit, Mattners second year Fossie & Crouch injury free - we could give it a crack.

But we would have to trade ROK and probably give up first draft pick to pick up the 2 experienced players we need.

Chasing a flag can back fire but given many on our list will dissapear after next season maybe on this occasion it is the correct direction to take
    ??

Cheers

Waz

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    It wouldn't "definitely go a long way". The chance of even a top 10 pick becoming as good a player as O'Keefe has been (and still is) is probably less than one in five. And unless that player went onto become a Gablett, Judd type, it is unlikely they'd make much difference on their own, especially compared to the impact of a club trading (against their will) a player who busts his gut each and every week (even when he's not having a great game).

If O'Keefe, out of contract, wanted to move (is there any evidence or even suggestion he does?) that would be a different matter. But when was the last time a club, any club, voluntarily traded one of its top 5 players still at the peak of his career? It doesn't happen, simply because the chances of the trade paying off are next to nil.
    I generally agree with you Liz, though as far as rebuilding goes and as hypothetical trade talk builds, ROK is the only player in our team that would demand a 1st rounder.
    Hes 28 this yr? In another year he might not be worth anything (injuries) who knows. Another year on and GC17 take most of the top young talent. We would be at least 3/5yrs away from being a serious finals team again. The question is weather or not we want to trade vigorously for draft pics. As you said theres no guarantee a 1st rd pick will be good as he is, though imo its definitely worth considering.
    Anyway does anyone know how long hes contracted till?

Veteran Site Admin
    Unless he's signed up in the last few weeks and the club has kept it quiet, he's out of contract in a month's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wazza View Post

Chasing a flag can back fire but given many on our list will dissapear after next season maybe on this occasion it is the correct direction to take
    ??
    The current era is over - even Roos admits it. Topping up a mediocre list would be disastrous for the short to medium term future of the club.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast