Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Who is worth trading for high draft picks?

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Why on earth would you trade top core players like Goodes, Malceski and O'Keefe. Do that and you can get on for the spoon, put your house on it
    There is a good reason why you would trade top core players, to get high draft picks. That's because this year is going to be the last fair draft for the next 3 years at least (gold coast and west sydney concessions). It has also been touted as a very stong draft. If we don't off load some top tier but aging stars, this year, then we won't get a look in for many years. In the meantime our tradable stars will all become too old for trading.
    No one wants to see Goodes or O'keefe or Buchanan or Malceski go, but the debate is if we don't trade them now then we'll be relying on low draft picks for years to come as the club meanders through season after season being a middle tier club.....No thanks.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    No no no no - Nico is correct. Let's please not trade away two of our elite players (ROK and Goodes).

33 Years of Support Alibi Monday's Avatar
    As I see it, here's the trade value of our list:

1. O'Keefe - Pick 6-10
    1. Goodes - Pick 6-10
    1. McVeigh - Pick 6-10
    4. Jolly - Pick 10-15
    4. C Bolton - Pick 10-15
    4. Vezpremi - Pick 10-15
    7. Bird - Pick 15-20
    7. Currie - Pick 15-20
    9. Jack - Pick 20-25
    9. Malceski - Pick 20-25
    9. Moore - Pick 20-25
    12. Buchanan* - Pick 25-30
    12. Hall - Pick 25-30
    12. Mattner - Pick 25-30
    15. Ablett* - Pick 30-40
    15. Grundy* - Pick 30-40
    15. Richards - Pick 30-40
    15. Schmidt - Pick 30-40
    15. Meredith - Pick 30-40
    15. J Bolton - Pick 30-40
    21. Bevan - Pick 40-50
    21. Barlow - Pick 40-50
    21. Thornton - Pick 40-50
    24. Davis* - Pick 50-60
    24. Fosdike* - Pick 50-60
    25. Brennan - Pick 60+

If Malceski could have progressed as expected this year without the injury - he would have been the only player able to trade for a Top 5 draft pick.

* These are the only players I think we should be shopping around unless another club offers up a better pick than my estimation. We have other players ready to walk straight into their spots.
    Last edited by Alibi Monday; 25th August 2008 at 11:26 AM.

I can't see Goodes being traded under any circumstances. Anyone who thinks ROK is irreplaceable though has rocks in their heads. If we could get a first round pick and a good young player then the club would seriously consider it IMO.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

If he had any interest at all in returning to Melbourne, ROK would be the perfect one to trade. If he is really keen on staying in Sydney then I see little reason to trade him.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

This years draft is IMO one of the worst to be trying to trade players for high draft picks.

Everyone is panicking about the following drafts so even good players wont have very high currency. Only the trade for Judd managed to scrape one top five draft pick last year and then about pick 18 so I dont believe anyone will be trading top ten draft picks this year (unless it is a big big name like Kerr or Brown maybe).

I still believe that everyone is getting a little hysterical about the trade chances in 2009. There is no way that GC can just take all their draft picks and not use some for proven players. Therefore the ability to trade in the year before they are due to enter is probably better than this year and former seasoned premiership players may have good currency to develop what will be a very young list.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    This years draft is IMO one of the worst to be trying to trade players for high draft picks.

Everyone is panicking about the following drafts so even good players wont have very high currency. Only the trade for Judd managed to scrape one top five draft pick last year and then about pick 18 so I dont believe anyone will be trading top ten draft picks this year (unless it is a big big name like Kerr or Brown maybe).
    It depends on each clubs' needs. Hawthorn, for example, are in a position to trade their first round pick to for an established star who can slot straight into a team ready to challenge for a premiership. It's exactly what we did in trading for Jolly in 2004.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by Alibi Monday View Post
    As I see it, here's the trade value of our list:
    1. McVeigh - Pick 6-10
    I think your dreaming here.
    McViegh has been much improved this year, but still goes missing in big games. If we could get a top 10 pick for him, then he should be traded immediately.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Quote Originally Posted by swansrule100 View Post
    goodes
    As crazy as that sounds....(and as much as I find it an abhorrent concept....heart talking) if it could get Natnoui would probably be worth it.

Natnoui will be Goodes and then some, plus we would also get another first rounder.
    "We talked five times. I called him twice, and he called me twice."

Eddie McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    the idea of trading O'Keefe is ridiclious, he is untouchable as is Malceski and buchanan. I think that there will be three to retire and one to be delisted or traded. Leo barry, Peter Everitt and Ben Mathews will retire, Nick Davis could be traded if there can be a deal. there will be more kids to come into the side next year, Brendan Murphy, Daniel Currie and others I can't think about at this stage. maybe I would like some feedback and suggestions.
    correct

On the Rookie List Darren Thomson's Avatar
    I don't think we are topping up a mediocre list. We have introduced young blood to the game this year. We need a key defender and a couple quick midfielders with developed skills, we might have toi develop them ourselves, this will take time. Trade ROK or Goodes, this is as silly as suggesting Kirk should retire. Goodes is clearly injured, and gutsing it out best he can, ROK has the biggest motor in the club. I reckon leave it to the experts, Roos did a pretty good job building a premiership side and I reckon he could do it again. Yes the current era is over, the future lies with Bird, Jack, McVeigh, Vezpremi, Buchanan is young and a real goer. Just add height and pace please. People thought Mick was finished years ago but like fine wine, some people just get better and I wouldn't swap him for anybody, Hally can keep going if he can keep his cool, Leo is the dodgy one, no disrespect but I would hate to se him stuffed into a back pocket as a fill in. We can't get any value for trades at this point so lets go into the draft and get another Goodes at pick 39. I really don't want to see Grundy in red and white next year, just has not progressed. Give some other blokes a go, too bad Schmidt is injured. Anyway, I'll be turning up as usual no matter what because strange things happen in footy

Paul Roos for PM

Very good draft for tall talent coming up so we need to keep our first round pick and go hard for a KP defender/forward.

We desperately need a stop gap measure for a KP Defender so I would look to trade our second pick and throw in something of value (Nick Davis/Bucky) that might be able to tempt a team who is close to a premiership in off loading a potential KP Defender who is behind current team members for a spot in the side. They are around but we will have to be inventive in our search.

The next step is to pray that a number of young midfield options we have drafted over the last 2 or 3 years in Schmidt, Barlow, Thornton, Laidlaw, DOK and Meredith all have injury free pre-seasons and can play round one.

And finally, Currie is ready to play senior football and that either White or Murphy can become that third tall marking option we so desperately need up front.

At total rebuild is not what is needed (or what we as a club can take) but a few subtle changes, a KP Defender and a bit of luck with the midfield runners will see us competitive next year.

DST
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast