Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Who is worth trading for high draft picks?

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Thomson View Post
    I don't think we are topping up a mediocre list. We have introduced young blood to the game this year. We need a key defender and a couple quick midfielders with developed skills, we might have toi develop them ourselves, this will take time. Trade ROK or Goodes, this is as silly as suggesting Kirk should retire. Goodes is clearly injured, and gutsing it out best he can, ROK has the biggest motor in the club. I reckon leave it to the experts, Roos did a pretty good job building a premiership side and I reckon he could do it again. Yes the current era is over, the future lies with Bird, Jack, McVeigh, Vezpremi, Buchanan is young and a real goer. Just add height and pace please. People thought Mick was finished years ago but like fine wine, some people just get better and I wouldn't swap him for anybody, Hally can keep going if he can keep his cool, Leo is the dodgy one, no disrespect but I would hate to se him stuffed into a back pocket as a fill in. We can't get any value for trades at this point so lets go into the draft and get another Goodes at pick 39. I really don't want to see Grundy in red and white next year, just has not progressed. Give some other blokes a go, too bad Schmidt is injured. Anyway, I'll be turning up as usual no matter what because strange things happen in footy
    Darren, the team that played on Saturday looks a million miles from challenging for a premiership.

I agree that getting some quick midfielders with good skills is a priority. Unfortunately you look at Schmidt, Moore, Bird, DOK and even Meredith and none can really be described as quick. These are players that have been described as our future midfield. Of our existing brigade you can add in Kirk and Ablett as a couple of plodders. The centre is where Collingwood found us out on Saturday and clearly needs the most attention, although I can't say I'm overly confident about our bare key position stocks.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

33 Years of Support Alibi Monday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    I think your dreaming here.
    McViegh has been much improved this year, but still goes missing in big games. If we could get a top 10 pick for him, then he should be traded immediately.
    I think we all tend to forget just how young he is. He was a bottom age selection and has just turned 23. Just to give you an indication of his influence this year, Champion Data rates the only younger players ahead of him regarding output are Cooney, Franklin, Deledio and Pendlebury! All players that most regard as up and coming elite.

I think he's now definitely one of our most valuable players if you were to take him to market.

With regards to big games - Bulldogs game in Canberra was a fairly crucial one for us don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Alibi Monday View Post
    I think he's now definitely one of our most valuable players if you were to take him to market.

With regards to big games - Bulldogs game in Canberra was a fairly crucial one for us don't you think?
    Name some other big games where he has been prominent??
    There aren't any, and this is his 5th season at the club.
    As I said before if they could get a top 10 pick for him, then they should trade him.....but it won't happen either way.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    Name some other big games where he has been prominent??
    20 possessions and a goal in the season opener against a Premiership favourite, St Kilda.
    23 possessions against reigning Premiers Geelong in Round 5.
    21 possessions against Top 4 hopefuls North Melbourne in Round 6.
    24 possessions and 2 goals against the Western Bulldogs in Round 7.
    28 possessions and a goal against St Kilda in Round 12.
    18 possessions and a goal against Hawthorn in Round 15 (OK, he hardly dominated, but he certainly didn't go missing).
    19 possessions and 4 behinds against Adelaide in Round 17 (4 behinds isn't good, but the point is he wasn't missing).

The only big games he has really gone missing in are the games against Collingwood, and the more recent game against Geelong.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Quote Originally Posted by BSA5 View Post
    The only big games he has really gone missing in are the games against Collingwood, and the more recent game against Geelong.
    Yep, I think he's a gun. Only 23 and looks like he's only going to get better, as he learns how to deal with a tag.

Quote Originally Posted by Alibi Monday View Post
    As I see it, here's the trade value of our list:

1. Goodes - Pick 6-10
    Surely a 2 time brownlow medallist (albeit an inconsistent one) is worth more than that?

Unless O'Keefe wants to go home, I wouldn't be trading him either. He is one of the few very good footballers that we have.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

If you consider who will be getting picks below us in the draft Melb, WC, Freo, Port, Essendon, Carlton , Brisbane, richmond - I cant see who of those would be prepared to give up a draft pick for an experienced player . Possibly Essendon, Richmond or Brisbane at best.

Therefore you could probably rule out picks 1 - 4 entirely and therefore forget any of the really big names like nanatoui or rich etc being constantly floated around.

I believe that Richmond , Brisbane or Essendon might probably trade for a decent midfielder or mobile forward so of our lot that probably offers Malceski (yes I know he is HBF but he could play centre if he stayed uninjured) , Okeefe or goodes (and possibly coupled with another like Davis). Big losses for an unknown pick 5,7 or 8 but nonetheless would leave us with one of those picks plus pick 9 and twenty something. Essendon have already freed up about 8 spots going on todays news.

Of those players , although I have loved him as a player I reckon O keefe would have the most currency at this point in time and would probably be the most expendable of those three IMO going forward with a young list.

Otherwise, if a trade like tha is not in mind I wouldnt trade anyone else as I dont think there is enough currency in doing so. Consider that at best you will probably get a late second or thrid round pick (I think even akermanis was only a swap for a third round pick).

Outside of a possible one big trade, the rest will be natural attrition, Everitt, Crouch, Matthews, Barry should go and they will probably be let go one or two off the young guys (I cant comment as i dont see ressies) and at least three or so rookies.

That will leave us recruiting about 6-8 players to the list (if Davis is swapped) plus another three or so rookies. Thats a fair turnonver for the swans.

Unless O'Keefe wants to go home, I wouldn't be trading him either. He is one of the few very good footballers that we have.[/QUOTE]

ROK is one of your most consistent small talls. I would find room for him at NMFC anyday......

Quote Originally Posted by Legs Akimbo View Post
    That we struggle to see which players on our list could be of interest to other clubs, speaks loudly of the state of our list.
    I agree 100% with that statement.
    Reading through the comments makes me think we want to buy champagne but only have a beer budget.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Our team is not that bad we need to fleece the whole thing.

The youngsters tapered off as they often do towards the end of a season. Cant see us bottoming out at all.

For my two cents, I've been impressed with Grundys last couple of games. He's looked pretty composed in the backline, and looks like he belongs. I'm not sure why so many have his name on the dart board.
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    I'm not sure why so many have his name on the dart board.
    Me either.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    Me either.
    Add me to that as well.

Should be played forward though.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Add me to that as well.

Should be played forward though.
    I agree with that as well.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast