Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is worth trading for high draft picks?

Blog Entries

Who is worth trading for high draft picks?

On the assumption that we are "rebuilding" and that there is not a flag on offer for 4 years minimum, who do we draft for a couple of high picks (and also give an opportunity to play somewhere else in their twilight years).

I'd put Bolton J and Buchanan up straight away.

Eski :late first round pick
    Buchanan : second round
    Ablett : second round pick
    ROK : high first +

And then total rebuild..means we would have 3 first round picks, 2 second round picks.

Spida: pension
    Matthews: retire
    Crouchie and Fossie, the juryt is still out

This makes no sense.

If we are rebuilding then I would put up the entire list and see what is made available. To pick a couple of players of marginal value who are unlikely to get us much (what exactly did we get for schneider and dempster ? and are buchanan and bolton so much better) is pointless. we should look at whatever is available and if there is something there we should grab it

On the other hand if the club means anything I am not against having people like jude bolton (who has been one of the few really decent players for us this season and is a genuine clubman) adam goodes etc be retained as one club players.

goodes
    Theres not much left to say

That is not a bad idea at all..2 first round picks for him and you would need carefully evaluate it..

I hope we go for draft picks and the club ends the crap about needing to stay competitive. The priority has to be getting a team together capable of winning a premiership and that means getting the best young players in the draft.

Paul Roos has lamented the lottery of the draft but surely it's a more reliable way of getting good players than recycling other club's rejects is. Ted Richards and Henry Playfair are honest footballers but will never form the nucleus of a premiership side.

There is no denying we lack class across the park, but particularly in the midfield. The most talented young players in the country are snapped up in the national draft, they're not put up for trade in trade week or languishing on rookie lists.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Veteran Site Admin
    No point in putting Jude up again. No club was willing to give up a late first round pick for him last year. Even though he's had a much better season, he's a year older, a year more battered, and with (somewhat misguided) panic over the lack of draft picks next year, I doubt anyone would give up a pick in the 20s for him this year.

We do need to inject more class into the midfield but I reckon younger players benefit by playing alongside some hardened warriors. If Jude can play a couple more seasons like 2008 (or at least the second half of it) I think he's of more value helping Jack, Vez, Meredith and whoever else become good midfielders than a pick in the 30s is likely to be.

B Hall
    A Goodes
    M O'Loughlin
    R O'Keefe
    T Kennelley
    B Kirk
    D Jolly
    J McVeigh
    C Bolton
    N Malcheski
    T Richards

After we clear all of those losers out, we need some retirements and delistings, such as....

N Davis
    B Mathews
    J Bolton
    P Everitt
    N Fosdike
    L Ablett
    L Barry
    J Crouch
    A Buchanan
    H Grundy

That should sort us out
    P Bevan
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

On the Rookie List
    it does make me laugh when i see people on here suggesting we trade players like ablett and fosdike plus about 5 others ... im not sure what people expect to get for players who are fringe players in a middle of the road team. I doubt we would get much more than a 3rd round pick.

If we are to really make the hard decisions that everyone talks about then I think we have to look at trading jolly or okeefe or both.

Both players regularly let us down in big games, yet they would still attract a lot of interest from other clubs.

Okeefe would probably attract a pick of somewhere between 6-10 and jolly probably 10-15. You would think that someone like Carlton or richmond would fall over themselves to trade for either of them ... so we could possibly get both of their first round picks.

So i think that is what we need to do, mcveigh would almost fit into the category as well but as he is still young and has improved so much this year then he is worth keeping.

Trading players for draft picks means we will have to delist more players.

After my last extremely serious post, I'll say that trading players like ROK, Hall, Goodes etc etc is

1. Against what so many here call the 'bloods spirit' For me it's simply respect and contracts. They played most or all of their career with the Swans, they played in a flag, they walk into the best 22, so they stay.
    Simple as that.

2. If we were to trade these types of players, you'd want some sort of a guarantee that we're gonna end up with something better than what we traded.
    When people talk about trading our better players, there is no safe bet that we'll end up with anyone better.
    All these people who suggest trading our better players will be the ones arcing up when what we got for them isn't performing.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

the idea of trading O'Keefe is ridiclious, he is untouchable as is Malceski and buchanan. I think that there will be three to retire and one to be delisted or traded. Leo barry, Peter Everitt and Ben Mathews will retire, Nick Davis could be traded if there can be a deal. there will be more kids to come into the side next year, Brendan Murphy, Daniel Currie and others I can't think about at this stage. maybe I would like some feedback and suggestions.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast