Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: retirement

lets say for arguement sake crouch matthews and barry are finishing this week

should they announce it this week so

a/ the fans can say goodbye
    b/ in mathews case he can get selected and have a farewell game-should he be given that
    c/ theres extra emotion and motivation to win
    Theres not much left to say

If we were serious, most of the following should be tapped on the shoulder for different reasons:

Of these, I would only keep the two captains, on a year-to-year basis.

We have so few match-winners on the list, I would keep Davis.
    "As a player he simply should not have been able to do the things he did. Leo was a 185cm, 88kg full-back and played on some of the biggest, fastest and best full-forwards of all time, and constantly beat them." Roos.
    Leo Barry? you star! We'll miss ya, ''Leapin''.

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    Still a chance of a home final so probably not.

Mathews, L.Barry, Crouch and Everitt should all retire at season's end in my opinion.
    And the season should end for them this week.

Give them alast hurrah and pick kids to give them a taste of finals the following week.
    sprite

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    He won a match three seasons ago (apart from the reserves match in Canberra this year apparently). More accurate to describe him as the Andy Warhol of footy. The fifteen minutes of fame (that almost exactly how long it lasted) is part of history.
    Bevo bandwagon driver

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    If we were serious, most of the following should be tapped on the shoulder for different reasons:

Of these, I would only keep the two captains, on a year-to-year basis.

That's too many in one year. Hall, O'Loughlin and Kirk are still playing good footy. While they're doing that, they can keep playing. The rest of them are struggling.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Thats one more match than bevan.

this pavlovian response is bizarre particularly given bevans poor performance on the weekend (a performance in which he was far from alone so i don't think criticism should be particularly directed towards him.

besides look again at the final series in 2005, as well as the gf in 2006 and you will see someone who chased and competed

like many a half forward flanker he is a confidence player and when he has been treated like a pariah he has not been confident.

whether he would want to be kept or whether the club will let him go is now up to the club and him.

and he will always have my gratitude because i was there that night and i remember how depressed i was at 3/4 time.

i dont remember ever being grateful for bevan, other than thinking there are a lot of others in the league that might do what he has ac hieved

Quote Originally Posted by connolly View Post
    He won a match three seasons ago (apart from the reserves match in Canberra this year apparently). More accurate to describe him as the Andy Warhol of footy. The fifteen minutes of fame (that almost exactly how long it lasted) is part of history.
    can we just take it as a given that if davis is mentioned you think he is under achieving, useless, doesnt chase or tackle and want him gone and then you will eventually compare him to bevan who is the best ever?

ok we know what you think we get it its done!
    Theres not much left to say

Brett Kirk leads the league in tackles, is 4th in clearances and leads the Swans in disposals and contested posessions and yet he should retire?

On the Rookie List Darren Thomson's Avatar
    Retire Kirk? Have you gone mad. He is the Robert HArvey of our side and with the way he plays could play on indefinitely. What he needs is to have a quick midfield built around his toughness. Leave Jude there for a year or two, hope Ablett gets form back and hunt up some pace. Fair enough retire some of the older players and do so with their dignity intact. Some of these, most of these blokes your talking about are great servants of the club who busted a gut to get us a flag. Correct it is a young blokes game, but you still need leaders and are we as a suppoter group prepared to cop the pain of a few mediocre years while the youg blokes find their feet and other imports fit intop the side. If we whinge about losses and bag the players relentlessly as does the Melbourne press, how is that constructive? Look at how much better we as ateam have handled ourselves as opposed to the WC evils. How much can these blokes give? Not enough to satisfy some people obviously

Paul Roos for PM

Apparently all the life members of the club that retire make a farewell speach at the bnf so at least i will have last photo opportunities and hear the speachs!
    OUR EDGE IS REG

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    That's too many in one year. Hall, O'Loughlin and Kirk are still playing good footy. While they're doing that, they can keep playing. The rest of them are struggling.
    I don't regard good footy as playing 8-9 games in a year and being an uncontrollable embarrassment to our football club. Hall has 'STRUGGLED' big time this year, and since 05 in fact.

I don't call leading to the boundary line or pushing opponents out to get a mark or crum good footy. O'Loughlin has no pace and rarely wins a one-out marking contest on a straight lead. He starts 5 metres in front and gets spoiled continually. That is 'struggling'. If he's playing 'good footy', how many goals has he kicked this year?

Kirk are Leo are doing well enough to play on, but are year-to-year at this stage. Most importantly, there is no-one to take the vital place of either of them.
    "As a player he simply should not have been able to do the things he did. Leo was a 185cm, 88kg full-back and played on some of the biggest, fastest and best full-forwards of all time, and constantly beat them." Roos.
    Leo Barry? you star! We'll miss ya, ''Leapin''.

Very simple, Matthews and Everitt should be given the option to retire and if they don't they will be delisted.

Both Crouch and Leo Barry may still have something to offer, but this decision should be left to the club and their list management team. If the club feels they still need cover for what they offer then by all means keep them. But a couple of youngsters will be given first crack for their roles like Jack, Bird, Moore and Thornton (but for injury) got this year.

Laidlaw for Crouch and one of Faulks or Murphy for Leo.

Trade for a CHB, such as Kosi form the Saints.

Would be interesting to see a team Round 1 like this:

FB: Bevan C Bolton Faulks
    HB: Malceski Kosi Thornton
    C: Goodes Bird Kennelly
    HF: ROK Hall Vespremi
    FF: Moore MOL White

R: Jolly Kirk McVeigh

Int: Currie, Jack, Mattner, Laidlaw

Emg: Fosdike, J Bolton, Schmidt, Barlow and take your pick of DOK, Merideth. Murphy or our first pick from the 2008 draft

One key position defender signing, a couple more youngsters in Thornton, Faulks, Currie, Laidlaw and White will give us a further new look after this years first phase over haul.

DST
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast