Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lets enjoy September

Regular in the Side

Lets enjoy September

My view is that Swans fans should enjoy their team's September. Let's face the facts: we are not going to win the flag, and with Geelong likely to be in the path in week 3, we are not going to make the GF either. And it is likely that Sydney may not play finals again for some time. So lets just enjoy the month.

Week1. Hopefully a home game against North Melbourne gives us a really good start. Sydney's home Finals record stands a good 6 wins and 2 losses. North was the only top 8 side that DIDN'T beat us this year. Further, since the 1996 GF Sydney's record against the Kangaroos stands at 10 wins, 7 losses, and a draw.

Week 2, would mean a MCG game against either Hawthorn or the Bulldogs, (probably the Bulldogs). Sydney have won 2 of their last 3 Finals games at the G. And until this year at least, we had a fantastic recent record against both clubs,(Hawthorn 6-0, 2004-07; Western Bulldogs 5-0, 2003-07).

Week 3, probably the farewell of the season against the eventual premiers Geelong. I hope its not too much of thrash.
    Last edited by top40; 31st August 2008 at 07:28 PM. Reason: mistake

So if Adelaide cause a boil over against Geelong we could make the GF without having to play them.

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbo View Post
    So if Adelaide cause a boil over against Geelong we could make the GF without having to play them.
    Yeah, Thats a pretty big IF. We would also then have to beat Adelaide in Adelaide. That's if we win our first two games. Lets not get ahead of ourselves just yet.

Adelaide won't beat Geelong, if you get within 30 points of Geelong it's about as good as beating most other sides so beating them will be just about impossible. We'd have to play out of our skins to win the flag, but as long as we try our best and play good footy i'll be happy with that.

Its all about enjoying it this year for me as well. if we get a couple of wins/ scare one of the bigs guns Id be stoked but lets see what happens. With a bit of luck the Saints will get the percentage boost needed to overtake Adelaide and thus remove us of having any chance of playing either till the GF

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    I think i will enjoy the first week much more now that Collingwood have to travel to Adelaide for a sudden death game! It was really p**sing me off that they could have finished eighth and still would have played at the MCG.

StKilda sneak into 4th.

You're right, Bulldogs could be vulnerable in week two should we win and they lose to the Hawks.

I don't think the Kangas can be underestimated though. Before the weekend, they were the form team in the competition after Geelong and many were tipping (including me) a Cats-Roos grand final.

We'll need to be at our absolute best to beat them on Saturday.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

This round (22) for me has set this September up to be great from the get go...regardless of the Swans position (although I reckon ours couldn't be better providing we can get over the Roos...no easy job) .

Geelong vs Saints
    Hawks vs Dogs
    Swans vs Roos
    Crows vs Pies

Couldnt have asked for a better start to September in terms of match ups...there will be some of the great footy from Friday.

GO SWANS..... (im happy regardless) more September campaigns than any other team (we've only missed 2 in 10 years)
    "We talked five times. I called him twice, and he called me twice."

Eddie McGuire

Regular in the Side
    GO SWANS..... (im happy regardless) more September campaigns than any other team (we've only missed 2 in 10 years)[/QUOTE]

Go even further, we've only missed 2 in 13 years. Further, for the 14th straight season the Swans have ended up with a percentage in excess of 100A remarkable achievement of consistency.

couldnt agree more. Lets just sit back and enjoy it. We've finished higher than last season, and have unearthed some great young players.

Will go into the first final as favourites, so a win there will definitely surpass most pre-season expectations.

It's great playing in September again. I agree let's enjoy it. Most commentataors in Melb have written us off not just in September but also for 2009. I think Roos was wise telling everyone a lot of players are past their use by date - as reality hits - if they don't perform their careers are likely to be over - they will fire up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast