Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Finals Umpires

Quote Originally Posted by Xie Shan View Post
    Nobody loves Raymond?

(Sorry!)
    No. We call him Napoleon. Little Big Man Syndrome.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Still the holding the ball non calls were laughable, if you are tackled and drop the ball then that is holding the ball (not that it was paid on Sat night)
    It is NEVER paid anymore, it has been frustrating the hell out of me for weeks now. I can't remember the last time I saw a free paid for dropping the ball.

Still the holding the ball non calls were laughable, if you are tackled and drop the ball then that is holding the ball (not that it was paid on Sat night)
    Yep, more blatant than dragging the ball in! It really is poor umpiring.

I'd be surprised if Chamberlain gave a FF to the Swans that night
    "In some ways we?re less predictable to ourselves and sometimes that can be detrimental because we don?t really know where we?re going" - P.Roos

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Is that "improper release of the ball"? Happens a lot and it's a real lottery whether the player gets pinged or not. Gablett is a master at it, so is Leon Davis. If someone holds a mark for the time they have the ball, it usually gets paid, but not when the shoe's on the other foot (so to speak).
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Is that "improper release of the ball"? Happens a lot and it's a real lottery whether the player gets pinged or not. Gablett is a master at it, so is Leon Davis. If someone holds a mark for the time they have the ball, it usually gets paid, but not when the shoe's on the other foot (so to speak).
    I'm also noticing alot of players just purposely dropping the ball, as if to throw it ahead of them..or was that what you were referring to (Re:Gablett)?
    "In some ways we?re less predictable to ourselves and sometimes that can be detrimental because we don?t really know where we?re going" - P.Roos

Suspended by the MRP reigning premier's Avatar
    Is that the truth?? Or did you read it in the Telegraph?
    Umpiring has NEVER changed the result of a game....

It's entirely up to the team on the field.

The better team will win, it always does. Stop whining and making excuses.

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    No. We call him Napoleon. Little Big Man Syndrome.

We were on the boundary in Bay 121 and he made quite a few bad calls right in front of us to which we screamed "Back to oompa loompa land for you Ray!"

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by shaun.. View Post
    I'm also noticing alot of players just purposely dropping the ball, as if to throw it ahead of them..or was that what you were referring to (Re:Gablett)?
    With him I was thinking of the way he releases the ball at times when he is tackled, but does it in such a way that it's as if he hasn't actually held it. I think that is improper release of the ball.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by reigning premier View Post

Whining? Rather I'm thinking of the way we may be perceived as a team that kills the ball, and as a result get pinged where others can play on. I don't think umpires go out of their way to give frees against us. On the other hand, as I pointed out elsewhere (umps thread), when we are first to the ball and use it to advantage, the frees seem to favour us as happened on Saturday night.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Another great pre-game call connolly.
    My heart sank when i saw the flea go and park himself in our defensive 50 for the first quarter. And sure enough the malignant midget payed a succession of early highly technical frees to the bankrupts. He was worth 2 goals to them in the first quarter.
    Bevo bandwagon driver

Bandwagon Driver australian_made's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by connolly View Post
    Really important our defenders play in front particularly in the first twenty minutes of the first quarter. The little flea Chamberlain will try to "stamp his authority"on the game early as they say in the classics. Pity no one can stamp on the flea.
    The first goal of the night went to Chamberlain didnt it?

I used to play junior footy with Ray for Tuggeranong. If you think he is short now, you should have seen him at 15

But seriously, he was always the centre of attention back then so its no surprise that he wants to be the centre of attention now. He is quite a charismatic, self confident little man.... which always made you want to punch him in the face even more.

and oh boy does he have a mouth on him! he used to draw so many free kicks just cause the opposition used to smash him for mouthing off.
    If the siren sounds in Tasmania, and the umpires don't hear it, does it make a sound?

Quote Originally Posted by reigning premier View Post

That's crap. How long have you been following Aussie Rules?
    Occupational hazards:
    I don't eat animals since discovering this ability. I used to. But one day the lamb I was eating came through to me and ever since then I haven't been able to eat meat.
    - animal psychic Amanda de Warren

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast