Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SCG planning on knocking down more stands

Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    Until when? Is there a 10 year clause or something like that?
    I'm sure there is time limit but the summary of the StadeOz submission to the planning application for the Trumper Stand didn't mention it though the phrase "long term seating capacity" did appear.

StadeOz reverts to public ownership in 2031 so the restriction is probably until that date.

I'm sure it would not be just the SCG that is restricted, it most likely prevents any Stadium (existing or new) being big enough to compete directly.

http://www.duap.nsw.gov.au/asp/pdf/0...ection_4-5.pdf
    5.5 Maximum Seating Capacity
    Issue Summary
    5.5.1 The status of the project in the light of the Stadium Australia Project Agreement as amended on 20
    December 1999 by the Stadium Australia Project Agreement Amendment Deed.
    Raised By
    5.5.2 Telstra Stadium; Sydney Olympic Park Authority (SOPA)
    Consideration
    5.5.3 There are commercial and contractual arrangements that exist between NSW State Government and
    the Stadium Australia Trust as set out within the Stadium Australia Project Agreement as amended on
    20 December 1999 by the Stadium Australia Project Agreement Amendment Deed. This agreement is
    applicable to redevelopment of major stadia in NSW including the SCG.
    5.5.4 The ?Redevelopment of an Existing Competitive Stadium? section of the Deed places restrictions and
    notification obligations upon the NSW Government in situations where it assists in the redevelopment
    of new and existing competitive venues. The rationale for this is to ensure that the private sector could
    plan for its business needs over the duration of the 30 year lease.
    5.5.5 The term ?redevelopment? within this section of the Deed refers to an increase in the maximum seating
    capacity to in excess of 48,000 seats. The development proposal will increase the maximum seating
    capacity of the SCG from 44,000 to 46,746 seats. This increase in seating capacity at the SCG will not
    therefore contravene the provisions of the Deed.
    5.5.6 Whilst it is acknowledged that there is reference within the EA to future redevelopment at the SCG this
    falls outside the scope of the current application and does not form part of the current development
    proposal. The Department?s assessment of the application has been carried out on the basis of an
    overall increase in seating capacity from 44,002 to 46,746 seats.
    Department?s Position
    5.5.7 The Department considers it appropriate to recommend that the Minister impose a condition upon his
    approval limiting the maximum seating capacity to the number of seats proposed (with limited
    contingency) (Condition A2). This limit is based upon the outcomes of the Department?s merit
    assessment of the environmental impacts associated with the proposal as set out in Section 6.
    Last edited by j s; 12th September 2008 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by j s View Post
    I'm sure there is time limit but the summary of the StadeOz submission to the planning application for the Trumper Stand didn't mention it though the phrase "long term seating capacity" did appear.

StadeOz reverts to public ownership in 2031 so the restriction is probably until that date.

I'm sure it would not be just the SCG that is restricted, it most likely prevents any Stadium (existing or new) being big enough to compete directly.

http://www.duap.nsw.gov.au/asp/pdf/0...ection_4-5.pdf
    I noticed somewhere, possibly on the SCG site that they were looking at doing the reno's without public money being used. If that is the case it could, in my unlearned Legal opinion, go ahead without the priviso

5.5.4 The ?Redevelopment of an Existing Competitive Stadium? section of the Deed places restrictions and
    notification obligations upon the NSW Government in situations where it assists in the redevelopment
    of new and existing competitive venues.
    The rationale for this is to ensure that the private sector could
    plan for its business needs over the duration of the 30 year lease.
    Coming into effect.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

ROLLLLLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!! Glenn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I just hope they keep working their way round to the Members and Ladies stands...

Members and Ladies are heritage listed so doubt they will be touched.
    Premiers 09,18,33,05

"You Irish Twit", Quote attributed to a RWO member who shall remain nameless.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Members and Ladies are heritage listed so doubt they will be touched.
    Surely public safety must come before some sentimental heritage listing.

Not to mention the fact that they are impracticle and look totally out of place.

They could quite easily relocate them to Nth Sydney Oval like the other old stands.

It's all the cricket traditionalists that are the problem.
    "My theory is that the universe is made out of stupidity because it's more plentiful than hydrogen" - Frank Zappa

I like the Members and Ladies stand gives the place a bit of character imo. They do need some reno work though that is for sure.

Good news that Daily Messenger stand is going its a piece of junk that is for sure. Wish they were doing the O'Reilly at the same time but ah well a bit at a time is better then none at all!

On the Rookie List Darren Thomson's Avatar
    That article sort of answered my question. I am guessing that eventually the old tinderbox stands will go and the seating capacity will be 50,000.
    I had a weird understanding that these buildings were heritage listed, like the one they moved to North Sydney Oval. Would anyone know if that is a fact or a legend (myth)?

Paul Roos for PM

It's only the members safety.....
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

I noticed somewhere, possibly on the SCG site that they were looking at doing the reno's without public money being used. If that is the case it could, in my unlearned Legal opinion, go ahead without the priviso

Coming into effect.
    The "assistance" can also be getting the land at anything other than market value - even though it was a long time ago I think the SCG would fall under that criteria regardless of where the money came for the actual construction.

Quote Originally Posted by j s View Post
    The "assistance" can also be getting the land at anything other than market value - even though it was a long time ago I think the SCG would fall under that criteria regardless of where the money came for the actual construction.
    It will be interesting to see what occurs.

Regular in the Side
    Sounds like it time to revisit an earlier thread posted this season.

Any new SCG grandstand should be named after Michael O'Loughlin and Adam Goodes, once the latter one of those two AFL greats retires. Call it the Goodes-O'Loughlin Stand (akin to the Lillee-Marsh Stand at the WACA in Perth)

Why?

1. It recognises the contribution made by the Swans to the SCG for approaching three decades now. (Herein, if you look at the SCG websight, 8 of the 19 greatest moments at the ground since 1982 were Sydney Swans moments)

2. It recognises Micky O's achievement of (possibly next year) over 300 games: the greatest number of games and finals in the club's over 130 year history.

3. It recognises Goodes' brillance. The only Sydney Swan to win two Brownlows, and the only Swan to win the Rising Star award. Plus his contribution to Aboriginal social issues outside the field.

4. It's an acknowledgment of Aboriginal Australian sport. The name 'Brewongle' Stand is by and large meaningless. It mean "meeting place", and developed into an official name in the early 1950's. Unfortunately, when the new Brewongle Stand was build in the late 1970's, there was no great Aboriginal sportsman from the relevant sports of cricket, rugby league or rugby union, from whom the Stand could be named. Hence the SCG Trust retained the name. Now there are two greats, but they come from AFL.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123