Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Spida Retires

Quote Originally Posted by reigning premier View Post
    Back on subject, Congrats on a great career Spida... Pity none of those good games were with the Swans.

We really did get him a year too late. The year before and it would of made a differnce. Yet another reason to barrack for anyone but the Hawks next weekend....

Jeff White anyone?
    White? As another example of a ruckman past his use-by date?

ROLLLLLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!! Glenn's Avatar
    Spida had some very good games for Sydney, granted not the same impact with Hawthorn but fill a void nicely between the retirement of Ball anf the next generation.
    All the best Spida for whatever the future holds.
    Premiers 09,18,33,05

"You Irish Twit", Quote attributed to a RWO member who shall remain nameless.

What a year 2005 SSFC/CFC
    Quote Originally Posted by Donners View Post
    White? As another example of a ruckman past his use-by date?
    I don't really want him myself but average touches in the high teens this year in the bottam side,
    Sports do not build character. They reveal it....Heywood Broun

I always turn to the sports pages first, which record people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures......Earl Warren

Senior Player
    Ah , yes - we will always wonder what might have been , if you had been here in 2006 .

Spida - well done , mate ! Enjoy the camping trips.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    If you have no idea of social appropriateness, you're probably too late in your life for me to teach it to you.

But let's try anyway: a mate of yours has a partner that you hate. The partner dies suddenly. The next conversation with your mate after their partner's death may not be the appropriate time to proffer your opinion, 'I never liked that stupid, lazy moron anyway. Good riddance.'
    Poor anology, poor try and spare me the crocodile tears. There has hardly been a positive post on RWO about Spida over the 2 years with us and there was plenty of objection to his drafting based on his well document poor attitude. The bloke retires and people become all condescending of any poor marking of his playing ability with us.

Because I have criticism of a player's ability doesn't mean I hate him. You may speak the way you have suggested what I might say when making a comment, but I don't speak like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Crap career for us and a waste of time and a space on the list.

Hope he doesn't stay at the club in any capacity as he is clearly not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Let him go and take up caber tossing or something but not at our club.
    Whether you like him or not as a person and a player surely you can see the value he can add by helping out with the young ruckmen coming through? There is no doubt in my mind he is one of the best tap ruckman that has ever gone around, and surely he has plenty to offer in this capacity.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Whether you like him or not as a person and a player surely you can see the value he can add by helping out with the young ruckmen coming through? There is no doubt in my mind he is one of the best tap ruckman that has ever gone around, and surely he has plenty to offer in this capacity.
    Mcs I can't see him being any value. Our clearance work has gone backwards since he has been at the club. He just taps the ball anywhere and all I see of his value to us has been making a contest. We lost the game in the midfield and surely any Swans supporter who watched the game last night must been have incresingly frustrated as the Bullies slaughtered us at centre clearances and around the ground. It was 47 to 26 clearances at half time.

All his centre bounce second efforts were bumbling and fumbling attempts to smother the ball. Can anyone recall more than the very rare secondary clearance kick by him. Grundy would have been a far better option in the ruck last night.

Why would you pay him $100 grand to teach players to tap the ball (reports show Currie already has that talent) and I haven't seen him place himself in too many advantageous positions around the ground in the past 2 years like Jolly does. I reckon Jolly has done a great job given the little or no support he has had for 2 years.

Regular in the Side
    I bemoan the obvious fact that we got Spider a year too late.

There is not a shadow of doubt in my mind that if Spider had played for the Swans in 2006 we would have won back to back premiership.

Shame on you Hawthorn!

Spider had a good 2007. Unfortunately, he was a year too old in 2008.

Count me as one who offers no congratulations or sings any praise for his ineffective time at our club. Don't know what anyone can see as a positive from his time as a list clogger.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Spida had some very good games for Sydney, granted not the same impact with Hawthorn but fill a void nicely between the retirement of Ball anf the next generation.
    The void is just as great now as it was then. There are no proven options ready to step up.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Donners View Post
    The void is just as great now as it was then. There are no proven options ready to step up.
    You are right Donners and sure we have Currie coming on but no one else. I'm buggered if I know why Jessie White wasn't persisted with. He seems to have paid the ultimate price for one exuberant act, that changed the rule but condemned him to trivia night fame. Surely he would have added some pace and a contest as compared to Everitt.

If we don't draft a ruckman from the U18 comp then we have rocks in our heads. There is an upper age ruckman named Renton at the Eastern Ranges who seems to be a barometer to their form. When he plays he invariably is their best or close to and they usually win.

Drummoyne..INNER WEST BABY!! (Bay 29 SCG)
    We definitely need to recruit a ruckman with a late pick. Most likely a 20 year old from the VFL ala Mott.

We can't be banking everything on an ex Rah rah and Volleyball player as back ups to Jolls and Currie.

White will have to be groomed as a KP forward next year as there is simply no one coming through to fill the gap in 2010 when Magic and Hall pull up stumps.
    Official Driver Of The "Who Gives A @@@@ As The Player Will Get Delisted Anyway" Bandwagon.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast