Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Leo Re-signs ...

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Will he stand down as co-captain?
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

[QUOTE=Rob-bloods;415189]That is very bad news. For those who think he had an OK year he gave away around the most frees in the league I understand, and what about all the goals he gave away from direct mistakes in possession.

QUOTE]

We have a winner for THE most ignorant, myth-based opinion re AFL football.

You clearly have never played the game (kick to kick after the game does not count).

The AFL key defender role is the hardest job in the team, and is a multi-dimensional role. Your guesswork and attempt to boil it down to one or two areas, and the inability to even understand those, exposes you.

Go and do some real research to back up that opinion next time
    "As a player he simply should not have been able to do the things he did. Leo was a 185cm, 88kg full-back and played on some of the biggest, fastest and best full-forwards of all time, and constantly beat them." Roos.
    Leo Barry? you star! We'll miss ya, ''Leapin''.

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    Will he stand down as co-captain?
    I would say he probably would.

As a great club man, he would definitely be on the front foot to ask whether he should step aside, and pave the way for Goodesy.

It will depend on the internal feedback.

Although I am a one-captain person myself.
    "As a player he simply should not have been able to do the things he did. Leo was a 185cm, 88kg full-back and played on some of the biggest, fastest and best full-forwards of all time, and constantly beat them." Roos.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post

As a great club man, he would definitely be on the front foot to ask whether he should step aside, and pave the way for Goodesy.
    A carrot to entice O'Keefe to stay might be to offer him the captaincy.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Great news.
    Think it will be more a mentor role though ( Faulks/Murphy ).
    He still has something to offer especially if the kids arent up to it.

Must stand down as Co Captain though.
    Est 1874
    SMFC

Drummoyne..INNER WEST BABY!! (Bay 29 SCG)
    I think it's good news. Onya Leapin.
    Official Driver Of The "Who Gives A @@@@ As The Player Will Get Delisted Anyway" Bandwagon.

Veterans List
    My gut feeling is that they re signed him for another year on a significantly lower package. The danger with giving him what he previously had is what many people have said on here: what if his form drops dramatically. Surely they couldn't fall for another Spida Everitt who it seems got a game regardless of form.

By putting him on the list for another year at a lower rate takes away the notion of list clogging and frees up some of the cap for other purposes.

At a lower rate Leo gets to play another year and we save on the cap: a win win situation. As someone said it's not as if he hasn't got a well paid job to go to after footy.

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Is Leo on the veterans list?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Knickers View Post
    Is Leo on the veterans list?
    Yes.

What a year 2005 SSFC/CFC
    [QUOTE=Bear;415257]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob-bloods View Post
    That is very bad news. For those who think he had an OK year he gave away around the most frees in the league I understand, and what about all the goals he gave away from direct mistakes in possession.

QUOTE]

We have a winner for THE most ignorant, myth-based opinion re AFL football.

You clearly have never played the game (kick to kick after the game does not count).

The AFL key defender role is the hardest job in the team, and is a multi-dimensional role. Your guesswork and attempt to boil it down to one or two areas, and the inability to even understand those, exposes you.

Go and do some real research to back up that opinion next time
    Well hotshot I don't actually get personal on the dribble that is served up on here, but your insulting rhetoric fits right in.

Yes, Leo is right up there in frees given away, actually I believe the stat in there that was reported in Melbourne was the most hands in the back decisions for the season.

And I stand by my assertion that he bled costly turnovers this season through dumb play, plain and simple. That is KPA for a defender, frees and turnovers.

Did I say the job was easy....and what's the excuse, it's tough being an old undersized defender so we forgive his sins. I'll wager your Brownlow medal, I presume YOU are of course so WELL QUALIFIED, he will be an embarrassment next year but I hope he proves me wrong, for I do make mistakes.

I daresay I have watched more games than you and had more football involvement, and you know what, even if I hadn't I'm still entitled to an opinion.

I don't bag the RWO "hated players of the month" but you know what, when I think a player is finished I'll say it. I always loved Leo, even when he was lattempting those stellar marks in the twos as a half-forward flanker and I'll be forever in awe of that mark.
    Sports do not build character. They reveal it....Heywood Broun

I always turn to the sports pages first, which record people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures......Earl Warren

Thought it was way over the top myself Rob-bloods and I too, reckon Leo's probably going one season too many. Don't know why Bear got personal over a difference of opinion.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Leo will definitely be on a lower base payment. Firstly he's missed 5-6 games in each of the last two years through injury AND he's over 30.

The same should apply to all players in exactly the same situation if they re-negotiate at this point e.g. O'Loughlin should receive a lower base payment but still have good match payments if selected in the firsts.

Luckily for players like Crouch and Hall that although they've missed even more of the last 2 seasons than Leo and the MOL, they don't have their current contracts changed.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast