Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sydney International Rules game

Sydney International Rules game

I'll be in Sydney at the time .
    Missed everything else , so Ill be going to this.
    Anybody else excited ?

give it to the game

Will be an absolute blood bath. Can't wait to see it, but it won't work. The only reason the pro version might work this year is all the media attention that's on it. Plus, they've intoduced suspensions that carry into next year's AFL & GAA comp, unlike this local one.
    Was at the one 2 or 3 years ago when East Coast played their best team at the time, the Cusacks, and it was mayham. I'm all for it cos it's going to be brilliant to watch live.
    Good luck to whoever has to umpire the thing.

aka Mr Taxman
    There will be an official umpire from each code ... maybe even a 3rd one from Brisbane who was excellent knowledge of the rules having umpired it at international level for about 5-6 series.

Should be a great game - I am expecting two very evenly matched sides. The ECE v Cusacks final a few years ago was a cracker with Cusacks winning in golden point extra time.

If the match is a success then it is likely to bring the main game to Sydney in 2 years time (almost got it this year but the Rugby League World Cup booked out all major stadiums in Sydney!).
    See me run a marathon again as a leprechaun?
    Donations

We played that day, was a great insight into the other game, they are so quick, seem to run in twos and threes at you, one with the ball runs straight to you, you commit to the tackle, at the last second he has dished off the pill and the other two are tearing down the paddock. Dont think we touched the ball more than twice consecutively in two years of Gaelic, frustrating but alot of fun. Might head down for this one. Geez we got drunk watching East Coast v Cusacks play, that was a great game.

The ECE v Cusacks final a few years ago was a cracker with Cusacks winning in golden point extra time.

Poor bastards, cant even win a final in another code.

On the Rookie List
    Pekay it wouldnt have been that hard for use to get drunk i seam to remember we were playing for 2 sides as ours sort of had a bit of a dismal turn out and you guys helped us and vice versa i do feel for Irish33 thou he was playing for 2 afl sides and 1 gaelic side and he was a mane instegater of getting that all started as a preseason thing his head would have been spining anyway all sounds like a great idea to see what should end up a very close game.
    Carn' The Crows

What date is it on?

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Super_man View Post
    What date is it on?
    International Rules match at Mahony Park (Illawarra Rd, Marrickville) on 18 October 2008
    Carn' The Crows

Quote Originally Posted by RPM View Post
    International Rules match at Mahony Park (Illawarra Rd, Marrickville) on 18 October 2008
    Although the SydneyAFL website has it down for Mahony park, I've read & heard else where that's it's at Henson Park Marrickville?

When are they going to name a squad (it was meant to be this week) and how many blokes are actually going to make themselves available? I'd have thought they'll have to ask a stack of players to come up with 22. Good chance for any keen types to get a run I suppose.

aka Mr Taxman
    Quote Originally Posted by Super_man View Post
    Although the SydneyAFL website has it down for Mahony park, I've read & heard else where that's it's at Henson Park Marrickville?
    No its definitely at Mahony ... Henson was originally scheduled for the match but problems with council & sizing of ground has meant a shift to Mahony which is probably preferably anyway given the right size to suit the AFL boys.
    See me run a marathon again as a leprechaun?
    Donations

Quote Originally Posted by Rafters View Post
    ....which is probably preferably anyway given the right size to suit the AFL boys.
    Don't know how that is preferable as it has to get re-lined to the standard rectangle pitch...
    But there's no changing rooms or any decent facilities, seating etc, at Mahony? Poor choice. You can't try and make this thing a 'big event' and have the players changing in front of everyone on the sideline.

I really hope the Sydney AFL team smashes them, on the scoreboard that is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast