Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what do we do if a trade for rok isnt done?

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Stuff pick 16. They've indicated they treasure it dearly. Ask for Thorpe and pick 34. Not Boyle, not Dowler. And if they're not prepared to deal, walk away.
    Liz that is a bluff re pick 16.

They knew full well what we wanted and would not have invested this much time and effort to get ROK to lower his salary demands if they are not willing to give us pick 16.

The issue now is whether it is Pick 16 on it's own, Pick 16 plus a player of the calibre of Boyle/Dowler or maybe Mitch Thorp and pick 34.

Not much chance that Thorp will be traded as he is highly regarded.

The Hawks are probably having discussions with the Dogs re Boyle but the Dog's are stuffed re their first pick for Cordy and can't get a trade done with Farren Ray at present to throw that pick at Hawthorn for Boyle.

The deal will be done with Hawthorn just remains to be seen if we can extract a player with pick 16/

DST
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

Veteran Site Admin
    I was being sarcastic re them "treasuring it". But I am serious about telling them to stuff it. I don't think it's worth that much, not enough to make them lose something they want. And if they want ROK they should give something else up they want too. I'd much rather have Thorp than pick 16. He is a risk because he's been injured but he's a talented forward who is unlikely to fit into their forward line anytime soon. So even if they covet him, they're unlikely to be able to use him.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I was being sarcastic re them "treasuring it". But I am serious about telling them to stuff it. I don't think it's worth that much, not enough to make them lose something they want. And if they want ROK they should give something else up they want too. I'd much rather have Thorp than pick 16. He is a risk because he's been injured but he's a talented forward who is unlikely to fit into their forward line anytime soon. So even if they covet him, they're unlikely to be able to use him.
    Understand where you are coming from re Thorp, but it is risky if he ends up playing 10 years of great footy and Hawthorn don't win another premiership while ROK is still playing.

It is also talked that Thorp could be the best of him, Boyle and Dowler to adapt to a KP Defender role which is what the Hawks still need.

DST
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by DST View Post
    Understand where you are coming from re Thorp, but it is risky if he ends up playing 10 years of great footy and Hawthorn don't win another premiership while ROK is still playing.

It is also talked that Thorp could be the best of him, Boyle and Dowler to adapt to a KP Defender role which is what the Hawks still need.

DST

If clubs never traded a player they thought might play good football at another club, everyone would go stark raving bonkers worried about "what ifs". When the Swans traded a club favourite last year they knew he was capable of contributing to the Saints. They knew he might even kick the winning goal against us one match. But they assessed there was another player on the list capable of covering him in the Swans 22 and chose to mix up the mix in the squad (whether you view that we traded him for Mattner or for Meredith).

And I have no doubt that Thorp is potentially the best of the three. The other two don't tickle my fancy at all.

I'd rather we lost him for nothing in the PSD than let the reigning premiers rip us a new one. Even if he landed up at Carlton, it would be better to see him play with them and increase their competitiveness

Why would you want him at Carton - who have stolen Swans for years (Rhys-Jones, Mitchell - via Collingwood, Williams) - and are being set up as the next contender with #1 picks aplenty for years?

Melbourne, yes - RO'K will have sired a father-son selection before they shake the top 8 again.

But if he signs for a final 3 years with the Swans, what's wrong with that? As long as he plays a good standard of football, he's valuable. He's a strong mark, handy goal kicker at times and a good runner.

Sure, the Hawks number #1 pick and a player would be great, but if they wont come to the party, why do so many people want ROK punished for trying to get the last bit of ga$ out of his career tank? Does anyone see him being a career coach or in the media post his AFL playing days?
    Last edited by goswannies; 9th October 2008 at 06:09 PM.

On the Rookie List
    Just confirmed on CH 10 news sport report that hawks are not willing to give up pick 16 as a trade for o'keefe and those scum from carlton are enticing him into the PSD with a huge offer! We are in big danger of losing him for nothing here unless we can somehow convince him to stay or accept a crap trade

I would be prepared to cave in and settle for a 2nd rounder on it's own, as long as it's not Hawthorn we're dealing with.

As much as I hate giving up players for less that what they're worth, it's better than giving them up for free.

Suspended by the MRP reigning premier's Avatar
    Is that the truth?? Or did you read it in the Telegraph?
    Hawthorn will cave.

ROK is the best talent in the draft this year and they are in teh beginning of a big premiership window. Picking up a 18yo now does nothing for them. Picking up a proven performer and premiership player does everything to enhance their opportunities over the next 3, 4 & 5 years.

They are not in a position to bargain. And if they don't give us what we want, we really haven't lost anything anyway. Except maybe the chance that he may stay.

Over to you Hawthorn....

ROLLLLLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!! Glenn's Avatar
    Sports Tonight saying talks have broken down with the Hawks...
    ROK to Melbourne in the PSD...enjoy the spoon collecting Ryan
    Premiers 09,18,33,05

"You Irish Twit", Quote attributed to a RWO member who shall remain nameless.

Quote Originally Posted by reigning premier View Post
    Hawthorn will cave.

ROK is the best talent in the draft this year and they are in teh beginning of a big premiership window. Picking up a 18yo now does nothing for them. Picking up a proven performer and premiership player does everything to enhance their opportunities over the next 3, 4 & 5 years.

They are not in a position to bargain. And if they don't give us what we want, we really haven't lost anything anyway. Except maybe the chance that he may stay.

Over to you Hawthorn....
    It's a case of take it or leave it for Hawthorn. They've got a great forward line already and recruiting O'Keefe will merely give them salary cap pressure that they don't really need. If they can get O'Keefe on the cheap they will but I can't see them trying too hard to be honest.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Sports Tonight saying talks have broken down with the Hawks...
    ROK to Melbourne in the PSD...enjoy the spoon collecting Ryan
    What are crap result for both parties if that happens, Swans and ROK that is.
    I only support one team: The SYDNEY SWANS!!!!!

Veteran Site Admin
    Roos wants to get some more pace into the midfield...

1.30pm Pelchen still being a dick. Roosy gives mate Rossy a call and say, hey there, how about getting ROK - you always loved ROK, didn't you Rossy -giving us pick 31 and sending the Schneiderman back up the highway...

Not a perfect outcome but sure beats being bent over by the Pilchard and at least enables O'Keefe to go to Melbourne to play with a decent team.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast