Thread: More fiddling with the rules

pr. dim-melb; m not f

More fiddling with the rules

I suppose the rushed behind change was inevitable, although I have no problem with the present rule. If they want to change it, why not treat it like any other intentional out of play - free to the other team?
    Extra umpire? OK
    But I don't like a further increase to the kicking distance - there's a place for the short kick in the game's tactics - and using the padding on the posts as a kind of boundary is stupid when there's a line already drawn on the ground. That one sounds like a retrospective attempt to justify the decision on BH's goal against us.

AFL to rub out rushed behinds - realfooty.com.au
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

They use the padding because if the ball hits the padding behind the line it is a behind. So it makes sense to move the line back given that's the way they adjudicate it.

The new rules for rushed behinds is stupid. They are adding rules onto rules rather than looking for why the increase is happening. The increased speed in the kickout is the reason - they should simply remove that and return to the old rule of waiting until after the flags.

The only rule I think should be brought in on rushed behinds is that a bounce should take place (say 30m out directly in front) if a rushed behind is given by the player taking the kick-in with no one else touching it.

I like the idea of increasing the kick distance to 20m. These dinky 15m kicks are a joke.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

The RB rule should be left how it is,if a team wants to rush 100 points who cares their giving away points to the opposition.
    Now this is a thread that i would expect on the ego -centric, wank session that is redandwhiteonline.com...
    MAD
    Pushin Limits

Blog Entries
    I like the youth policy rule for the pre season comp.
    Show's how ahead of the game we are. We've been following that rule for years.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    I like the youth policy rule for the pre season comp.
    Show's how ahead of the game we are. We've been following that rule for years.
    so very true!

Every bloody year now they fiddle with the rules because they didnt like the way that one team was able to use something to its advantage. I wish they would leave them alone. The game has become too offciated as it is. Hawthorns tactics were clever and the Cats should have deployed a game plan to overcomeit but they didnt. Demetriou, Bartlett etc should butt out!
    Occupational hazards:
    I don't eat animals since discovering this ability. I used to. But one day the lamb I was eating came through to me and ever since then I haven't been able to eat meat.
    - animal psychic Amanda de Warren

Quote Originally Posted by cruiser View Post
    Every bloody year now they fiddle with the rules because they didnt like the way that one team was able to use something to its advantage. I wish they would leave them alone. The game has become too offciated as it is. Hawthorns tactics were clever and the Cats should have deployed a game plan to overcomeit but they didnt. Demetriou, Bartlett etc should butt out!
    This person speaks for me.
    10100111001 ;-)

Someone needs to extract Bartlett from the rules committee. Nathan Buckley (a very cluey man) resigned in disgust over the ridiculous hands in the back rule because Bartlett refused to consult with him. So why invite him on the Committee? One minute they are considering "capping" the amount of hanballs per chain, another minute they are thinking about capping the amount of interchanges per quarter, now it's something about rushed behinds. Why don't these GEEKS stop looking at statistics and trying to manipulate data by introducing idiotic rules!

Scrap the whole damn committee, and let the coaches decide what rules need to change (if any). This is just a yearly virus that affects our great game. Pathetic.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Chow-Chicker View Post
    Someone needs to extract Bartlett from the rules committee. Nathan Buckley (a very cluey man) resigned in disgust over the ridiculous hands in the back rule because Bartlett refused to consult with him. So why invite him on the Committee? One minute they are considering "capping" the amount of hanballs per chain, another minute they are thinking about capping the amount of interchanges per quarter, now it's something about rushed behinds. Why don't these GEEKS stop looking at statistics and trying to manipulate data by introducing idiotic rules!

Scrap the whole damn committee, and let the coaches decide what rules need to change (if any). This is just a yearly virus that affects our great game. Pathetic.
    Buckley is right - the game evolves under its own steam (i.e. players and coaches work out what to do) - so leave them to it.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)