Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Fixture

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    surely the club should be looking to actively promote these people into something closer to full club membership?

For its all well and good to say there are 10000 that only go to Homebush, but surely in the short term we should be trying to make them into full members.
    I think the club is trying to do just that.

From what I can understand, the Homebush pass was designed to cater for supporters who live close to Homebush, or find it too difficult to get to the SCG. It's probably been a stepping stone into full club membership for a few people.

I think the club is worried about losing some of the Homebush-only people to the new western Sydney club, so they're trying to pioneer different types of supporter packages to reach and hold onto as many people as they can.

I hope they are cheer squad as you hit the point on the head about the western Sydney club. I wonder what the actual retention rate of people is when they become members? I would think it would be very high, whereas ticket sales even for the supporters packages are naturally spasmodic and variable.

Regular in the Side
    Saturday afternoon games in Sydney is just crazy. There is no tradition in Sydney. The Jewish factor has already been mentioned.

But there are additionally of course the families whose kids play sport, (AFL in my son's case), on Saturdays. Marketing madness! And they're trying to promote the game in Sydney!

My prediction will be that neither game, notwithstnding the traditional following of the Melbourne clubs (Essendon and Carlton) will get any more than 15,000. Just madness!!!

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post
    But there are additionally of course the families whose kids play sport, (AFL in my son's case), on Saturdays.
    I didn't even think of that!!

I play netball and It would be a big decision for me to decide between my game and a swans game - and i wouldn't start until 2 so there's no chance of seeing both!!! Very weird ...

Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    Why do they keep making us play Geelong in Geelong.
    That's so I don't have to get the car out of the garage!
    CHER - Who has two types of blood cells "RED ones and WHITE ones"

Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    I love going to Geelong too, I know I'm getting off the subject now but there is a little family owned and run restaurant exactley opposite SS on the main road that will give you a huge serving of either roast pork, beef, lamb or chicken, a mountain of hot chips and heaps and heaps of veges for just $7.50, can you believe that? $7.50. I always look forward going to this place as unfortunately, the long drive home back to Melbourne with my 2 swans mates is always fairly quiet as we have just lost.
    Would that be Ripper Roasts? Not that I would call it a restaurant but can't think on anywhere else you can be talking about.
    CHER - Who has two types of blood cells "RED ones and WHITE ones"

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post
    Saturday afternoon games in Sydney is just crazy. There is no tradition in Sydney. The Jewish factor has already been mentioned.

But there are additionally of course the families whose kids play sport, (AFL in my son's case), on Saturdays. Marketing madness! And they're trying to promote the game in Sydney!

My prediction will be that neither game, notwithstnding the traditional following of the Melbourne clubs (Essendon and Carlton) will get any more than 15,000. Just madness!!!
    One of the reasons given for the Sat arvo games was to give those with Sunday sport commitments a chance to get to a Swans game.

I wonder what the actual retention rate of people is when they become members? I would think it would be very high, whereas ticket sales even for the supporters packages are naturally spasmodic and variable.
    Sales of the Homebush-only passes have gone from zip to 10,000 in three years, so there is clearly some demand out there.

The club has been having a problem with some full club members who don't want to go to Homebush. They're being catered for this year with a new SCG-only membership. I suppose all these different packages just reflect a fact of life in Sydney

Ill be interested with how the sales for the homebush passes go next year. Would be good if they were to rise again. Pity more then a few of those that bought them turned up to the final out there. I would like to see a week 1 final @ the scg and then week 2 and 3 if they were to happen played @ telstra.

But you are exactly right having to cater for every need and want in Sydney. Its just a funny town when it comes to getting out and supporting their footy teams.

As for the Sat arvo games, I reckon they might draw decent crowds. I agree with the Sat arvo sporting clashes, but its not different in Melbourne and even when crappy teams are playing they usually draw a decent crowd anyway.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    One of the reasons given for the Sat arvo games was to give those with Sunday sport commitments a chance to get to a Swans game.
    I acknowledge that there may be some people who have Sunday sport commitments. And I have no available statistics. That said, the reason why Saturday Rugby League games were shafted in Sydney was because of very low crowds on Saturdays compared with Sundays.

I will bet London to a brick that the crowds for the SCG Saturday afternoon games next year will be very very disappointing.

Saturday or Sunday I'm not too fussed. 2.10pm is great!

Although it will be a proud moment to be part of the normal footy tradition and turn up on a Saturday arvo after a morning of whatever a quick lunch wherever and with whomever then watch the game however and still have time to return to family or party on.

I've been looking forward to it for a long time.

Ill be interested with how the sales for the homebush passes go next year. Would be good if they were to rise again. Pity more then a few of those that bought them turned up to the final out there. I would like to see a week 1 final @ the scg and then week 2 and 3 if they were to happen played @ telstra.
    yeah well that wont be happening for a few years yet simply because of the next faze of construction - Sadly the SCG aint the MCG in that they could take out an entire stand and you could still get 60,000 to a game comfortably. With the replacement of the MAN & The Bradman (not sure when construction on those start) that will take out a considerable chunk of seats. that will mean all finals (if we get there) will be played out at Homebush.

However, the AFL will need to put some advertising dollars towards getting more bums on seats if there is another final - because there was absolutely none prior, but then the add got a run after the game had been played It would be safe to say that the AFL would not want another repeat of the scant turnout of the EF so they will throw loads of dollars at an advertising campaign. (or is that wishful thinking??).
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..................
    Chickens drink - but they don't pee!
    AGE IS ONLY IMPORTANT FOR TWO THINGS - WINE & CHEESE!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast