SWANS v POWER - MATCH REPORT
Cliff Hammond 7 Sept 2003

There aren't enough superlatives to describe the Swans' all round team effort that pulled off a sensational Qualifying Final upset win against Port Adelaide at AAMI Stadium. Sydney now moves straight into the Preliminary Final in a fortnight's time against either Brisbane or Adelaide.

The Swans went into the game depleted by the late season injuries to Jason Ball, Michael O'Loughlin and Jason Saddington. Add to that the concerns over Daryn Cresswell's groin injury, and the lack of match fitness of Brad Seymour and Stephen Doyle, and it's no surprise that Sydney started this match against 2003's most successful side as rank underdogs.

The Swans defied the odds with a brilliant six-goal burst at the beginning of the second quarter that set up what proved to be a match-winning 40-point half-time lead for the Swans. The Power finished doggedly but couldn?t reel in the Swans, who held on to record a 15.10 to 13.10 victory.

Adam Goodes starred as the lone hand in Sydney's ruck, while Barry Hall showed Tredrea how Centre Half Forward should really be played, kicking six goals to be the game's best forward. And tagger Brett Kirk (24 possessions) demonstrated his capacity to dominate in his own right with a superb performance in midfield.

Rather than the defensive flooding tactics that Port coach Mark Williams had anticipated, the Swans used the man-on-man method that got Collingwood home in similar circumstances last year. With the game reduced to 18 individual battles around the ground, it was the team-wide determination of the Sydney players that destroyed Port. Then, when Port rallied in the second half on the back of a string of free kicks in their forward 50, the Swans showed tremendous maturity and professionalism to see out the game with only 19 fit players.

"I watched that Collingwood game during the week, and I probably didn't realise it at the time until I watched it again how similar things were," Swans' coach Paul Roos said. "It was really interesting to watch how they went about it and a lot of our preparation did revolve around that game last year."

"More than any other team you just can't give them time and space, they're the most skilful team in the competition and they use the ball extremely well. We had a set way we wanted to play and our guys carried it out to the letter," Roos said. "It was 10 out of 10 at half-time in terms of what they'd been able to achieve what we talked about before the game ? it was just about a perfect start for us."

Two goals just before three-quarter time saw Port close within four goals and Roos gave his players an almighty spray at the huddle in anticipation of a Power comeback.

"I am in awe of the player group ? what they did today was beyond comprehension in some regards, the fact we came over here undermanned," Roos said after his team ended the match with Tadhg Kennelly, Brad Seymour and Stephen Doyle added to a long injury list.

"To have only 19 guys in the second half and come out with a win was outstanding. I played 300 and something games and I can't remember too many like that."