Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leo and Crouch must retire

Leo and Crouch must retire

Now that Crawford has shown the way and retiring at the top, Leaping Leo and Crouch must retire for the good of the team.

My reasoning is that this next draft will be the last time in the next 3 that the Swans will have a chance to draft a good crop of nearly ready to play youngsters.

We only have 3 picks in the draft and if Leo and Crouch retire, we wil have 5 and its looks like this draft is quite deep.

Leo and Crouch must now think what is best for the team as do the coaches.

We badly need some key defender types as well as a key CH or F forward AND WE MUST GET THEM NOW.

Please Leo and Crouchy, be men and know that your time has come.

The next TEAM List changes must be submitted within the next 2 weeks before the Draft itself.

Go gracefully now, Leo and Crouch and give us a chance to pick another 2 picks in the draft.

I disagree about Crouchy. If he can get his body right, I think he'll do alright next season.

As for Leo, I think the only reason he's running around again, is becase there was noone ready to step-up. Obviously Peter Faulks was not the one and Jesse White is untried as a full back. Based on this, I am afraid next season will be one season too many for Leo, much like Matthews and Everitt this year.

You're kidding right?
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Kidding about what Annie - Crouchy or Leo?

For Leo, there were some definite signs throughout this season that his career is coming to a close.

He is not as quick as he once was, therefore, was getting tackled and caught with the ball more often. His decision making was below an acceptable standard and his opponents were more often younger, quicker and stronger.

Perhaps, if Roosy plays him away from a KP he may find a spot, but in saying that, would be up against a few other players that can play the flanks/wings better than what Leo could.

I would love it for Leo to retire on a high and not retire after a season in and out of the seniors.

Crouchy is just fine. Leave him be.

Leo, well I thought he would go at the end of this season, but no. He does create a diversion with his crash bang, but he gives away so so so many frees. Dunno. Perhaps it would have been better he retired, but.....
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by Chilcott View Post
    Kidding about what Annie - Crouchy or Leo?

For Leo, there were some definite signs throughout this season that his career is coming to a close.

He is not as quick as he once was, therefore, was getting tackled and caught with the ball more often. His decision making was below an acceptable standard and his opponents were more often younger, quicker and stronger.

Perhaps, if Roosy plays him away from a KP he may find a spot, but in saying that, would be up against a few other players that can play the flanks/wings better than what Leo could.

I would love it for Leo to retire on a high and not retire after a season in and out of the seniors.

Both.
    Agreed Leo has the decision making skills of a junkie, he was caught because of a few bad decisions, but in the main he's still able to get the ball out of the defensive 50. We need Leo at least for another year ... if he's playing at 75% so be it. The kiddies NEED him - you can't buy the type of defensive experience Leo has.
    As for Crouchy - the year off did him the world of good. As the season progressed so did his skills for the "new" game. Barring injury, Crouchy has at least two seasons left in him. He's a gun.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Suspended by the MRP reigning premier's Avatar
    Is that the truth?? Or did you read it in the Telegraph?
    I's like Crouchy to stick around. Even if it is just to @@@@ with Aker's head.

On the Rookie List
    I hope they both prove you wrong!!! Let's be positive!! Maybe LRT could have played full back to replace Leo or maybe Jesse White - don't think so!

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    We need Leo at least for another year ... if he's playing at 75% so be it. The kiddies NEED him - you can't buy the type of defensive experience Leo has.
    I disagree. The squad as a whole has so much experience that Leo being there as well isn't as beneficial as it would be in a defense such as, say, Richmonds.

Anyone who took Leo's spot would play on the 3rd or 4th tall of the oppositions anyway with Bolton, Richards and LRT already in the side.

Not going to happen.

If the club wanted Barry to retire, they would not have offered a one-year contract. One suspects that it will be the last though, barring a miraculous turnaround in form and fitness.

Crouch is still on contract, so the club won't cut him.

As for the players involved, it's all very well to say "they should retire for the good of the team". Would anyone voluntarily give up a contract and a year's salary for the good of the team?

It'll be one last year for each of them. It's not like we have a lot of early picks either. The order looks like it will be: 12, 30, 61, 62, 78, 94, 110, 128.

So we would get the chance to use picks 62 and 78 - Not super inspiring considering the extra money the club would have to pay to use them.

177th Senior AFL Match - Round 4, 2009 - Sydney vs Carlton, SCG. This is obviously out of date. I suppose I'll update it once I could be bothered sitting down with the fixture and working it out....
    Des' Weblog

Quote Originally Posted by reigning premier View Post
    I's like Crouchy to stick around. Even if it is just to @@@@ with Aker's head.
    A perfectly good reason
    10100111001 ;-)

Senior Player
    I had a feeling I saw that Leo was offered a one year and it was understood that he would not be an automatic selection? I'm quite prepared to be told that I imagined it. Anyone else have that memory?
    Also,I thought Crouchy finished the season quite strongly as he ran into match fitness and got hold of the 08 plan. He gets another year for sure in my books.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast