Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: State of the list Clarified

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    Correct....Port, Saints, Carlton (taking Paul Johnson from Melbourne) Brisbane (possibly taking one N. Davis from Sydney), Richmond and one other...Hawthorn I think.

With reference to Klemke, if Sydney wish to pick him up with a priority NSW rookie listing but Richmond indicate that they want him for their primary list, then I assume that Klemke can choose the Swans by simply not nominating for the pre-season draft.
    Getting drafted on to Richmond's main list or the Swans rookie list, I think putting the fact that he is a Swans barracker aside, that the Tigers option looks the better deal for young Kade.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Getting drafted on to Richmond's main list or the Swans rookie list, I think putting the fact that he is a Swans barracker aside, that the Tigers option looks the better deal for young Kade.
    Then again, the Swans have quite a reputation for utilising the rookie list, more so than most other clubs. Getting put on the rookie list of another club tends to mean that it's a long shot that you'll get your chance to play senior footy. At the Swans, it's probably more like 50/50. Philips, Brennan, Jack, Smith, O'Dwyer, Grundy, Barlow, and I'm sure there are others I've missed. Hell, even Kirk was rookie listed, but that's going back a fair way. We have a pretty good strike rate with rookies in terms of getting them games, as Roos has shown himself willing to put his faith in them.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BSA5 View Post
    Then again, the Swans have quite a reputation for utilising the rookie list, more so than most other clubs. Getting put on the rookie list of another club tends to mean that it's a long shot that you'll get your chance to play senior footy. At the Swans, it's probably more like 50/50. Philips, Brennan, Jack, Smith, O'Dwyer, Grundy, Barlow, and I'm sure there are others I've missed. Hell, even Kirk was rookie listed, but that's going back a fair way. We have a pretty good strike rate with rookies in terms of getting them games, as Roos has shown himself willing to put his faith in them.
    I'm not entirely convinced. I believe we perceive the Swans to be better utilisers of the rookie list because:

1. We are more intimately acquainted with the Swans rookie players and their successes/failures.
    2. With the exception of Brisbane, we have a larger rookie list than the rest of the clubs, meaning that on an absolute scale we could have had more rookie listers play but probably on par on a percentage basis.

Perhaps if someone (hint hint ) had the time to do a study of the rookie list history of each club.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    I'm not entirely convinced. I believe we perceive the Swans to be better utilisers of the rookie list because:

1. We are more intimately acquainted with the Swans rookie players and their successes/failures.
    2. With the exception of Brisbane, we have a larger rookie list than the rest of the clubs, meaning that on an absolute scale we could have had more rookie listers play but probably on par on a percentage basis.

Perhaps if someone (hint hint ) had the time to do a study of the rookie list history of each club.
    Yeah, that could well be it, but I've read articles and heard interviews that have praised the Swans success with the rookie list. I'm pretty sure commentators have mentioned it as well, at times.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    ...Carlton (taking Paul Johnson from Melbourne)
    Chris
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

If Pyke really is an 'off-list' rookie, that means that with the 2 additional rookie allowances for GC17 this year, Sydney could (should) take a grand total 50 person list into 2009!

Contrast this with North Melbourne who, on the bones of their arse just a couple of years ago, could I think only afford 1 rookie, so would've had a 40-odd person list.

That's some difference.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by BSA5 View Post
    "The Bevanator".

Regular in the Side
    is there anyone we can put on the rookie list to make space... nudge nudge

Regular in the Side
    I can easily think of one very arguably long-term mentally damaged player

Quote Originally Posted by robamiee View Post
    is there anyone we can put on the rookie list to make space... nudge nudge
    Someone's done it...here.....http://http://www.news.com.au/herald...-19742,00.html and the swans are very clearly NOT the top rookie churning club. That would (I think) be West Coast or Melbourne (esp if you include the couple of melbourne rookies now at other clubs....Aaron Davey, James MacDonald, Darren Jolly even Russell Robertson FFS!
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12