Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: State of the list Clarified

State of the list Clarified

As seen here http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTIC...x?newsId=70550

Coney is officially listed. From memory all clubs are entitled to 2 more plyers than normal...ie 46 for normal clubs and 49 for Brisbane and Sydney... though some clubs seem to have 47 places...which might be to do with having an international rookie (Dyas at Collingwood for example).

So we have 5 places remaining on our rookie list. I suspect that 3 of these have to be from NSW...otherwise why would be allowed 3 extra rookie places.

If memory serves we once placed a Swan who had two years on our list onto the rookie list as a NSW player based on the fact that he had lived in Sydney for 2 years (McGlone?) but I presume that loophole is closed (if it really existed.

So, in summary, I have no idea how many real picks we have or who we will use them on

My guess is 3 locals....Bruest, Klempke and Bruce, plus 2 in the Rookie draft...Thornton, Faulks and....damn we've run out!

If we want Sibasado (or similar...Gourdis??) then we will have to lose one of our 2008 players, I think.
    Last edited by ScottH; 3rd December 2008 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Fixed Link
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

I have answered my own question...NSW scholarship elevations are also outside the normal numbers....so Geelong, Hawthorn, Collingwood - Scott Reed (to name a couple) have 47 places.
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Veteran Site Admin
    I think we have another pick over and above the spaces shown because Pyke counts as an extra.

Drummoyne..INNER WEST BABY!! (Bay 29 SCG)
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    As seen here http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTIC...x?newsId=70550

If memory serves we once placed a Swan who had two years on our list onto the rookie list as a NSW player based on the fact that he had lived in Sydney for 2 years (McGlone?) but I presume that loophole is closed (if it really existed.

!
    I think it was Matt "Smokey" Davis who was from SA.
    Official Driver Of The "Who Gives A @@@@ As The Player Will Get Delisted Anyway" Bandwagon.

Veterans List
    Who's Coney?

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    Who's Coney?
    Irish import.

Senior Player
    Did smokey Davis disappear?

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think we have another pick over and above the spaces shown because Pyke counts as an extra.
    I heard someone say that non irish Internationals don't even count on the list....but that's not what the list is showing. Anyone know where that ruling might be written down?

I heard someone say that non irish Internationals don't even count on the list....but that's not what the list is showing. Anyone know where that ruling might be written down?
    I'm 99% sure they don't. Probably a mistake. When a page like that is new on afl.com.au, it's bound to be riddled with little errors like that.

That would leave us with 6 rookie picks. Conceivably:

Klemke, Breust, Bruce, Thornton, Faulks, SIBOSADO!!!!! At least, I'm hoping for Sibbo. Also, Klemke has been training with Richmond, I think.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Veteran Site Admin
    I realise you can't believe everything you read on Wikipedia but here it is at least written somewhere!

AFL Draft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regular in the Side
    i read somewhere (just can't pin anything don ca we?) that only 6 teams were participating in the pre-season draft and i'd assume we are not one of them?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by alison.z View Post
    i read somewhere (just can't pin anything don ca we?) that only 6 teams were participating in the pre-season draft and i'd assume we are not one of them?!?!?
    Correct....Port, Saints, Carlton (taking Paul Johnson from Melbourne) Brisbane (possibly taking one N. Davis from Sydney), Richmond and one other...Hawthorn I think.

With reference to Klemke, if Sydney wish to pick him up with a priority NSW rookie listing but Richmond indicate that they want him for their primary list, then I assume that Klemke can choose the Swans by simply not nominating for the pre-season draft.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast