Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Goodes ready to be captain?

Quote Originally Posted by ROK Lobster View Post
    Goodes is not captain material. Leadership group, yes. Community ambassador or some such crap, absolutely. But as a player he is hot and cold, on and off, brilliant or average. He does not need the pressure and the team does not need a skipper that has weeks when he cannot get it right. He is a genuine superstar, but a captain he aint.
    Absolutely spot on.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

3 captains

3 captains...just a wank

I don't think Goodes in captaincy material based on his erratic behaviour in recent seasons. He gets in a weird headspace sometimes which is hardly what you need for a leader.

If he's deemed mature enough now then I hope it helps him take his game to a more consistent level.

If he's overlooked and gets down about it then it merely proves again he's not ready.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Goodes ready to be captain?

Goodes was one of six captains was he not! From memory he did not lose a game as captain. My preference is Captain Kirk, but Goodes would be a sensational captain!!!

Quote Originally Posted by givekidsakick View Post
    3 captains...just a wank
    Is there anything that the club does that you are happy with?

I'm not trying to pick a fight, but you seem to disagree with almost everything that the club does.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bedford View Post
    one day some people will realise what a player he is, thats when they start to get some knowledge of AFL footy
    How is this relevant to a discussion of Goodes as captain? Is the post some sort of troll, or are there people that are truly that ignorant?

Personally I am thinking that we should have a sole leader.
    And I am very much in favor of dumping the pretentiousness that is the 'leadership group'

Aside from that, to the original question.
    Goodes may be a good captain, he may not - the club is in the best position to judge that.
    The hot & cold argument tends to hald water though....
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

On the Rookie List Darren Thomson's Avatar
    One captain would be a better option on field I think(when my brain actually works). The leadership group is still a good idea though and has been adopted by most clubs as far as I know. I like Kirk as captain, but it may be time to give it to someone a little younger. Make Vez captain, that way he is sure to get a game

Paul Roos for PM

Just make Kirk sole captain...
    I only support one team: The SYDNEY SWANS!!!!!

Suspended by the MRP

The Whip It

The whip is a duall Brownlow medalist. Surely he is a leader of of significance and a captain worthy of taking the opportunity to toss the coin and kick into the breeze?

crack that whip & whip it GOODES!

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Goodes is not captain material. Leadership group, yes. Community ambassador or some such crap, absolutely. But as a player he is hot and cold, on and off, brilliant or average. He does not need the pressure and the team does not need a skipper that has weeks when he cannot get it right. He is a genuine superstar, but a captain he aint.
    Agree.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

His performance in the last half of the 06 GF marked him as a potentially great captain. He has the ability to lift a team by deed. Great leaders have their off days. Jesus spat the dummy, Churchill hit the turps and Kennedy took time out for the occasional shag.
    Bevo bandwagon driver

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast