Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Nick Davis: Lost to the Code

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Knickers View Post
    Some Davo memories:
    - I hate Collingwood badge
    - Tackle tackle lost his shoe
    - TOP one-handed contested grab against Port Adelaide in that glorious PF in 03 and slotted through for a nice goal
    - The best 13 minutes of football I have EVER seen in my life that made Cam Mooney cry
    - The J Ball piggy back post GF 2005
    Add to that such moments as one of the best 40 metre, off the ground drop punt goals ever seen....against Carlton at Princes Park
    Red and white till I die

Drummoyne..INNER WEST BABY!! (Bay 29 SCG)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsAllGoodes View Post
    Add to that such moments as one of the best 40 metre, off the ground drop punt goals ever seen....against Carlton at Princes Park
    That was an absolute pearler.
    Official Driver Of The "Who Gives A @@@@ As The Player Will Get Delisted Anyway" Bandwagon.

He played some sensational finals and had some great cameos in finals.

- '03 QF Vs Port Adelaide - Didn't play all that well but his one handed grab and goal was huge under pressure.
    - '05 QF Vs West Coast - Played well all night.
    - '05 SF Vs Geelong - Our best all night, not just THAT quarter.
    - '06 PF Vs Fremantle - Dockers were getting back into it, Davo kicked one from outside 50 to stop their momentum.
    - '06 GF Vs West Coast - Played a huge part in getting us back in the game.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Shame - was hoping he would get picked up by the Blions so we could lose some of the deadwood round these parts who rate Davo above the club.

Had some great games and his form leading into and during the 05 final series was top notch.

Was a very useful and sometimes mercurially brilliant player for the club who will unfortunately be looked at historically as a wasted talent who shone in the geelong final.

Being overlooked by the other clubs is very unfortunate (especially when some are prepared to take a player of hayden skipworths ability in preference) but I think there is a lot more to the Davis issue than meets the eye. You dont just dump a possibly matchwinning player unless the greater sum of his other issues including what it seems is a consistent failure to remain at AFL fitness levels outweigh that advantage.

You would have thought if he really wanted another go, he would have worked on issues like fitness so that someone like Brisbane would have no question marks over him. yet it seems this was one of the main issues they raised when doubts surfaced over him being taken.

Further why would you appoint an ex rugby league player (and a forward for that matter ) with no managament experience in any code as your manager at the very time your career hangs in the balance. If that is an indication of this guys state of mind then he only has himself to blame for his failure to find a home.

He is probably better suited to now playing for a vfl club or someone who wont necessarily require that extra level of commitment that is required at afl level. In those surroundings he will again be would be outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by T-bag View Post
    Self conceited drivel!!!

ALL OF THIS!

Self conceited drivel!!!!!

NIck is a @@@@ing hasbeen. get over it!

You guyys are prats

And yes I'm pissed bu twhat ya gonna do about it

sorrry scotth but really I am pissecxd

well suggest that you get some spelling lessons for a start!

You have proved the point - it takes a prat to know a prat!
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..................
    Chickens drink - but they don't pee!
    AGE IS ONLY IMPORTANT FOR TWO THINGS - WINE & CHEESE!

I will always stick up for Davis - have always felt that because he didnt fit into Roos's mould of boring yes men, that he didnt stand a chance. But some agree with this stance and some dont - so be it. So I appreciated your efforts - and despite what others say - if you weren't there that Friday night in September '05 - we would still be waiting for that flag. All the best with what ever you do.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Self conceited drivel!!!

ALL OF THIS!

You guyys are prats

Simple - don't drink before posting!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Silver member, not Gold pinkemu's Avatar
    Self conceited drivel!!!

ALL OF THIS!

You guyys are prats

Watch your drinking, look what it has done to me (see profile pick)

Booo @@@@ing hooooo!
    Without Davo, the Swans wouldn't have the 2005 premiership.
    I only support one team: The SYDNEY SWANS!!!!!

Consistency is over-rated. Consistently we can finish 4th to 10th each year (and we appear to be locked in to doing just that), but it usually takes something freakish to achieve something special. Roosy's reaction immediately after "the" semi showed that. There are plenty of consistently good players out there - but will they ever take a game by the throat and win it the way Nick did that night? Sure, everyone has a part to play in a win, but someone has to kick the goals and each of those last quarter goals were stunners in their own right. Sadly, there are few on our list confident enough in front of goal who can entertain hopes of ever repeating that effort.

That game ranks above the grannie in terms of emotions - the despair when the first final quarter goal went to the cats, and the incredible feeling when the siren went at the end of that game! Ok - Leo's mark is up there too - but we were always in that game. After that final quarter goal to the cats, only the most blindly optimistic could see four goals coming to win, on top of three all night.

Consistency that night meant diddly squat! Thanks always Nick for those (and many other) special moments. The parting of ways between you and the club is very sad and I think ultimately the club will be poorer for it.

Quote Originally Posted by SwansFan1972 View Post
    Consistency is over-rated. Consistently we can finish 4th to 10th each year (and we appear to be locked in to doing just that), but it usually takes something freakish to achieve something special. Roosy's reaction immediately after "the" semi showed that. There are plenty of consistently good players out there - but will they ever take a game by the throat and win it the way Nick did that night? Sure, everyone has a part to play in a win, but someone has to kick the goals and each of those last quarter goals were stunners in their own right. Sadly, there are few on our list confident enough in front of goal who can entertain hopes of ever repeating that effort.

That game ranks above the grannie in terms of emotions - the despair when the first final quarter goal went to the cats, and the incredible feeling when the siren went at the end of that game! Ok - Leo's mark is up there too - but we were always in that game. After that final quarter goal to the cats, only the most blindly optimistic could see four goals coming to win, on top of three all night.

Consistency that night meant diddly squat! Thanks always Nick for those (and many other) special moments. The parting of ways between you and the club is very sad and I think ultimately the club will be poorer for it.
    Beautifully put! that game still gives me that "shiver" I will never forget it.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast