Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Nick Davis: Lost to the Code

Quote Originally Posted by SwansFan1972 View Post
    Consistency is over-rated. Consistently we can finish 4th to 10th each year (and we appear to be locked in to doing just that), but it usually takes something freakish to achieve something special. Roosy's reaction immediately after "the" semi showed that. There are plenty of consistently good players out there - but will they ever take a game by the throat and win it the way Nick did that night? Sure, everyone has a part to play in a win, but someone has to kick the goals and each of those last quarter goals were stunners in their own right. Sadly, there are few on our list confident enough in front of goal who can entertain hopes of ever repeating that effort.

That game ranks above the grannie in terms of emotions - the despair when the first final quarter goal went to the cats, and the incredible feeling when the siren went at the end of that game! Ok - Leo's mark is up there too - but we were always in that game. After that final quarter goal to the cats, only the most blindly optimistic could see four goals coming to win, on top of three all night.

Consistency that night meant diddly squat! Thanks always Nick for those (and many other) special moments. The parting of ways between you and the club is very sad and I think ultimately the club will be poorer for it.
    Best post I've read on here for some time.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Quote Originally Posted by SwansFan1972 View Post
    Consistency is over-rated. Consistently we can finish 4th to 10th each year (and we appear to be locked in to doing just that), but it usually takes something freakish to achieve something special. Roosy's reaction immediately after "the" semi showed that. There are plenty of consistently good players out there - but will they ever take a game by the throat and win it the way Nick did that night? Sure, everyone has a part to play in a win, but someone has to kick the goals and each of those last quarter goals were stunners in their own right. Sadly, there are few on our list confident enough in front of goal who can entertain hopes of ever repeating that effort.

That game ranks above the grannie in terms of emotions - the despair when the first final quarter goal went to the cats, and the incredible feeling when the siren went at the end of that game! Ok - Leo's mark is up there too - but we were always in that game. After that final quarter goal to the cats, only the most blindly optimistic could see four goals coming to win, on top of three all night.

Consistency that night meant diddly squat! Thanks always Nick for those (and many other) special moments. The parting of ways between you and the club is very sad and I think ultimately the club will be poorer for it.
    It was consistancy, team work, strong work ethic and a collective culture that got that team of largely dedicated average palyers into the finals series in the first place. I've seen two types of teams play in the red and white. The collection of talented individuals (that consistently underperformed for decades) and the strong collective ethos that won a premiership. Personally i'll take the latter every day. As for Davis don't re-write history. There was a player called Jason Ball who tapped brilliantly in the forward line (particularly the last goal against the Cats) and a desperate team that lifted and ran through fatigue and pain to keep the ball in the forward line. Davis did not win that game, much less any other game off his own boot.
    Bevo bandwagon driver

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by connolly View Post
    It was consistancy, team work, strong work ethic and a collective culture that got that team of largely dedicated average palyers into the finals series in the first place. I've seen two types of teams play in the red and white. The collection of talented individuals (that consistently underperformed for decades) and the strong collective ethos that won a premiership. Personally i'll take the latter every day. As for Davis don't re-write history. There was a player called Jason Ball who tapped brilliantly in the forward line (particularly the last goal against the Cats) and a desperate team that lifted and ran through fatigue and pain to keep the ball in the forward line. Davis did not win that game, much less any other game off his own boot.
    @@@@ off connolly. Bitch and moan about everything else, you can never take away his performance that night. Suck on it. Can't wait for the next exciting tackle that we'll be talking about for decades.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    @@@@ off connolly. Bitch and moan about everything else, you can never take away his performance that night. Suck on it. Can't wait for the next exciting tackle that we'll be talking about for decades.
    Yes it was a fantastic team performance. Ball's brilliant tap work, Davis goal kicking, ROK's relentless running, Kennelly's drive out of the backline and a team that kept running and never say die team spirit. Wonderful memories. And merry christmas to you too.
    Bevo bandwagon driver

Blog Entries
    So I take it you then simply believe that no player has ever won a game of football off their own boot? If that's your belief then I honestly apologize for having a spat.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    So I take it you then simply believe that no player has ever won a game of football off their own boot? If that's your belief then I honestly apologize for having a spat.
    As a very young kid i saw Bobby Skilton do it one day. From (fading) memory the champion had 15 possessions in the last quarter, playing in an otherwise outclassed and beaten side . Maybe i was spoilt at a young age. I saw Skilton play.
    Bevo bandwagon driver

Blog Entries
    Then if you think it can be done, I respectfully disagree with the suggestion that Nick Davis did not do it that night.

I've been spoilt too; I didn't see Skilton play, but I was at the SCG when Nick Davis kicked 4 goals in a quarter to beat Geelong.

Suspended by the MRP reigning premier's Avatar
    Is that the truth?? Or did you read it in the Telegraph?
    Most ridiculous post you've ever made. And that's saying something.

Take Davis out of the game and replace with ANY player that has EVER played the game from ANY team in the world and the result is a loss to the Swans. To suggest that Davis was not the sole factor for the Swans winning that game is totally moronic.

Connolly I can see where you are coming from but to say Davis did not win that game for us that night is imo utterly ridiculous. You can not take away from what the other players in our team did in the last quarter, but it was Davis who made the big plays, who kicked the goals. If there is a ever a time where the saying that a player won the game off his own boot applies, then this is it. You can never discount the team's role in it, but Davis was very special that night!

Players like Davis make footy exciting, people like Bevan make you pleased that players who seem marginal can get close to being good team players and pull out the odd blinder. The Swans have problems getting the best, consistently, from raw talent. I will miss Davis very much.

Well then I wait for the day when Bevo does a "Davis" goes on to kick four goals in the final quarter of a semi final, the last goal being in the dying seconds of the match which gets the Swans over the line. I have a better chance of winning first prize in a beauty contest than ever seeing a performance like that ever again.

Mind you Connolly was probably standing there non plussed on that Friday night in 2005 more concerned about Bevo's non existent stats than what Davis did - maybe Connolly is Paul Roos - it would explain alot
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..................
    Chickens drink - but they don't pee!
    AGE IS ONLY IMPORTANT FOR TWO THINGS - WINE & CHEESE!

So we are back to discussing the one thing davis will be remembered for some three seasons ago.

That is why he has been lost to the list. Dont you think the swans were fair in giving him a further three seasons on the list in which no one seems to recall any mercuarially match winning briliiant moment.

Thats three seasons. Isnt that enough chances to prove your match winning ability (assumming from what I read that everyone agrees that otherwise he isnt known for his consistency).

I loved that Geelong game but the fact has become that it was the high point of his career and I also thank him as he was the matchwinner on the night. Yes others contributed but some of the goals were from unbelievable positions.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast