Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Nick Davis: Lost to the Code

Blog Entries
    Whilst Davis's 4 goals were special, without the rest of the team the ball wouldn't have got to him. And there were many extra efforts involved.

Quote Originally Posted by 573v30 View Post
    Without Davo, the Swans wouldn't have the 2005 premiership.
    derrrrr

Could you say without Davo the Swans would have won the 06 premiership?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    So we are back to discussing the one thing davis will be remembered for some three seasons ago.

That is why he has been lost to the list. Dont you think the swans were fair in giving him a further three seasons on the list in which no one seems to recall any mercuarially match winning briliiant moment.

Thats three seasons. Isnt that enough chances to prove your match winning ability (assumming from what I read that everyone agrees that otherwise he isnt known for his consistency).

I loved that Geelong game but the fact has become that it was the high point of his career and I also thank him as he was the matchwinner on the night. Yes others contributed but some of the goals were from unbelievable positions.
    That game is the problem. How can anyone be expected to repeat a performance like that? Given the occasion, it's probably the best individual quarter I've ever seen.

He played several good games after the Geelong one. Sure he wasn't consistent, but can you give me a player in the competition who plays as a small forward, that is consistent?

You need players who are consistent and do their job every week but you also need the Davis types - players who can win you a game with individual brilliance.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    That game is the problem. How can anyone be expected to repeat a performance like that? Given the occasion, it's probably the best individual quarter I've ever seen.

He played several good games after the Geelong one. Sure he wasn't consistent, but can you give me a player in the competition who plays as a small forward, that is consistent?

You need players who are consistent and do their job every week but you also need the Davis types - players who can win you a game with individual brilliance.
    Rhys Shaw will be that player

edit: Gee Frog, I guess you'll be handing out infractions hand over fist in this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    well suggest that you get some spelling lessons for a start!

You have proved the point - it takes a prat to know a prat!
    I know you are, but what am I?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunger View Post
    Could you say without Davo the Swans would have won the 06 premiership?
    Or we would have won if we'd got Spida a year early?

It is fair to say that without Amon Buchanan we would not have won the Premiership. And the common feature for both games is that that we would not have won without Jason Ball's tap work. So Jason Ball contributed to the Premiership more than anyone else. I wonder if he's still at Mac Bank - or one of those who got the chop?

Spot on!

For all the consistency zealots out there - yes, of course a team needs to be consistent - to a point. But the ones that go on and do something special (like win a premiership) generally need something unique to happen which sets them apart. Just ask Hawthorn - was Stuart Dew the most consistent player all year? Nope, but would the Hawks have held firm without his brilliant cameo in this year's big one? Maybe they would have or maybe they wouldn't, but that essentially doesn't matter. The bigger picture is that he was there, he impacted when he needed to and his story is now (another) one to warm any fan's heart. But if the "consistency neo-cons" and "football scientists" had held sway at Hawthorn at the start of the year, we would never have seen it.

There should always be a place for the unique players - they may not train the hardest, or always toe the party line, but they are at any time possibly just a blink away from giving you a memory to last a life time.

There is a relative handful of players in history that have done just that, and Davo is one of them.

For those who are content to have seen him bundled out (and even dancing on his grave a bit) I've put in an order from Honda for you. Now that they aren't racing cars, they will be well placed to create sixteen teams of Honda-bots to play for your entertainment. They can be painted any colour you like, (but purple, green and white should be the inaugural team's look - the folk that like those colours have been on an eternal - but so far fruitless - search for consistency) and you can turn up each week knowing they will give you the same consistent and even performance every week!

Just think - they will be so well drilled, you'll be able to time your dunny run at the SCG at just the right time so as not to miss anything interesting (ie, you'll be able to go when the urge calls, rather than having to hold on during a tense part of a game), and even have time to pick up a beer on the way back to your seat! All your matches might end as draws however, so you'd better hope there is a siren gate or two through the season to keep things interesting!

And they probably won't be able to rush behinds in the Honda League either!

Veterans List
    I suppose having players with talent AND application is too much to ask?

If you are a great kick but hate training and team discipline and love fast food wouldn't you just find a sport that suited you. The NFL where you only have to run on and kick and you can be back at the fries before they even cool sounds perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    I suppose having players with talent AND application is too much to ask?

If you are a great kick but hate training and team discipline and love fast food wouldn't you just find a sport that suited you. The NFL where you only have to run on and kick and you can be back at the fries before they even cool sounds perfect.
    What about the players that we have with very little talent but they have the application? It works both ways surely.

Concessions are made for blokes with crap skills - the same concessions weren't made for Davo's deficiencies.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Knickers View Post
    There wasn't a game that I didn't enjoy seeing him run out with the boys in Nbr 2. He always enjoyed his footy and it was a pleasure to watch him doing so.
    I wish him all the best. He's a living legend of the club now.
    Just to go back, I think Knickers summed it up for me with that line.

I go to the football because I enjoy watching football, in all honesty (and as gripping as they can be at times) I don't go to enjoy a dour struggle. It's not a war out there, you aren't going into the trenches. It's a game.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Veterans List
    What about the players that we have with very little talent but they have the application? It works both ways surely.

Concessions are made for blokes with crap skills - the same concessions weren't made for Davo's deficiencies.
    Do you really think we have players that aren't up to AFL standard? Who?

And what concessions? For who?