Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nick Davis: Lost to the Code

On the Rookie List

Nick Davis: Lost to the Code

Amid all the Cousins hysteria, as Swans fans let's not overlook the fact that Nick Davis didn't get a Lions guernsey today. As someone who appreciated his efforts for our club, on balance, I am disappointed to see the AFL door closed on such a talented and exciting player.

Its a bit like Schneider. I really enjoyed him playing for St. Kilda this year and he showed he can really play. I missed him in Red and White. Roos might say it was for the best of both parties, but I'm still not sure.

But unlike Schneider, the Davis career is now over. Its a bit sad, but I see his Dad was quoted as saying that his son should be respected: that he'd played in a premiership and played more games than he had. That's a good way to look at it.

Anyway, I thought our site should acknowledge Davis's career and wish him well. I see he's thinking of that ridiculous gridiron code. I'm unlikely to watch, but I thank him for the good times and wish him well.
    lachlanc

His failure to find a club, despite the efforts of the most brilliant manager since Don King, vindicates the decision to cut him. He should play in the VFL for Port. Still his wonderful fifteen minutes against the Cats in 05 will remain in the memories of Bloods fans forever.
    Bevo bandwagon driver

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Perhaps he's a victim of timing. If he had gone into the draft in a year when clubs weren't obsessed with getting as many youngsters as possible the story may have ended differently. But he will always be remembered, and remembered by all Swans with gratitude, for THAT quarter.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

That quarter will never be forgotten by any true blood. You could argue quite strongly that the quarter of brilliance that night won us the flag in 2005. Without Davis, I have no doubt we would have not been able to pull ourselves out of the hole we were in. Sensational to say the least, and it still give me shivers every time I watch it. A sad end to his career, but thats footy for you I guess!

Sad to see Davis gone. I think even Roos said recently that qrtr was the best qrtr of finals football ever played by an individual I will ever be grateful for the joy that that qrtr and the succeeding 8 qrtrs of football brought into my life.

Thanks Nick, all the best for whatever the future holds.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Without Nick Davis, it'd be 75 years and counting.

Disappointed that he's no longer at the club and disappointed that he couldn't find a new home.

He played a lot more than 'one good quarter of footy' as many claim - he was actually our best player over the whole night and had a huge impact on several other finals.

Absolute gun on his day and I will be forever grateful for his time at the Swans.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

A great talent. The thing at the end of the day is consistency. That's just the nature of the game in this day and age and it was one flaw in the Nick's makeup. I wish him well in his future endeavours.

My american brother-in-law reckons he'd do REALLY well playing gridiron and that he's been "scouted" for an american team.

If Davo's watching this ... go for it. Gridiron's perfect for you. The "kicker" only has one job - kicking the ball. No running, no tagging, no marking, no nothing. Just kick the ball - and Davo's got a huge kick.

For as much as I still think he's a showpony, he did have an amazing 15 minutes that got us a flag. He'll always be remembered for that.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Good luck to Davo, an absolute gun on his day. He'll always be remembered for THAT quarter.

With his boot he's surely a good prospect with the NFL.

From the Swans' POV, the indifference of the entire AFL coaching panel toward Davis surely validates the decision to let him go.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Suspended by the MRP reigning premier's Avatar
    Is that the truth?? Or did you read it in the Telegraph?
    I think there's a lot off assholes here who can't even give this guy the credit he is due now that they've got their wish and he is gone.

You know who you are. And it makes me sick that I support the same team that people like you do.

Quote Originally Posted by reigning premier View Post
    I think there's a lot off assholes here who can't even give this guy the credit he is due now that they've got their wish and he is gone.

You know who you are. And it makes me sick that I support the same team that people like you do.
    Agree with you entirely.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I shall not be retiring my I love Davo badge.
    Some Davo memories:
    - I hate Collingwood badge
    - Tackle tackle lost his shoe
    - TOP one-handed contested grab against Port Adelaide in that glorious PF in 03 and slotted through for a nice goal
    - The best 13 minutes of football I have EVER seen in my life that made Cam Mooney cry
    - The J Ball piggy back post GF 2005
    There wasn't a game that I didn't enjoy seeing him run out with the boys in Nbr 2. He always enjoyed his footy and it was a pleasure to watch him doing so.
    I wish him all the best. He's a living legend of the club now.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast