Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sydney Swan sculpture for the SCG in April

Regular in the Side
    I never wrote that Paul Kelly was the greatest NSW player ever. What I said was that he was the only AFL Hall of Famer to play his entire career in NSW. The suggestion of Wayne Carey misses the point. He might of come from Wagga Wagga, but he never ventured across the Murray to play senior football. And his recent conduct would be an embarrassment.

Bobby Skilton is an icon to the Swans, a club representing two cities. However, he never played a game at the SCG.

The Nick Davis suggestion is actually a reasonable one to a point. Think about it. In the context of the SYDNEY CRICKET GROUND, who was the greatest hero that led to the Swans' 2005 flag. Further, he was born and bred in metropolitan Sydney. I'm not particularly serious of course, but Nick Davis is in my opinion a better choice that either Wayne Carey or Bob Skilton.

In The Apple Isle Cheer Squad mbr's Avatar
    I reckon so. Still, Kelly would surely be the early favourite though.
    "Two cities, One team, Together, Living the Dream."

Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post
    I never wrote that Paul Kelly was the greatest NSW player ever. What I said was that he was the only AFL Hall of Famer to play his entire career in NSW. The suggestion of Wayne Carey misses the point. He might of come from Wagga Wagga, but he never ventured across the Murray to play senior football. And his recent conduct would be an embarrassment.

Bobby Skilton is an icon to the Swans, a club representing two cities. However, he never played a game at the SCG.

The Nick Davis suggestion is actually a reasonable one to a point. Think about it. In the context of the SYDNEY CRICKET GROUND, who was the greatest hero that led to the Swans' 2005 flag. Further, he was born and bred in metropolitan Sydney. I'm not particularly serious of course, but Nick Davis is in my opinion a better choice that either Wayne Carey or Bob Skilton.
    I was referring to Hayden Bunton Snr. Davis certainly moved like a statue when he played for us.
    Bevo bandwagon driver

Quote Originally Posted by connolly View Post
    I was referring to Hayden Bunton Snr. Davis certainly moved like a statue when he played for us.
    Gee didnt see that one coming

Well we can say with a great degree of certainty that it WONT be Paul Bevan cast in bronze, stone or playdough. However, if a statue of the blond pretender was commisioned, common comment from the general public would be "Bevo who?" but I'm sure the statue would appeal to gastric strickin pidgeons in large numbers, so there is an up side.

Out of left field prediction - Geoffrey Edelsten for services to the pink helicopter industry and the introduction of the Swannettes.

Actual prediction - its a tie between Kelly and Lockett.
    Last edited by Wardy; 6th January 2009 at 06:57 AM.
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..................
    Chickens drink - but they don't pee!
    AGE IS ONLY IMPORTANT FOR TWO THINGS - WINE & CHEESE!

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    Gee didnt see that one coming
    Yep, a bit tiring, some people just don't know when to let go.

Well we can say with a great degree of certainty that it WONT be Paul Bevan cast in bronze, stone or playdough. However, if a statue of the blond pretender was commisioned, common comment from the general public would be "Bevo who?" but I'm sure the statue would appeal to gastric strickin pidgeons in large numbers, so there is an up side.
    I don't think pigeons would be the only ones.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Davis certainly moved like a statue when he played for us.

Boom boom

Love your work.....if there is a report of an earthquake in Ulverstone on the news don't worry it was just me laughing so hard and my morning cup of holiday tea being sprayed over the computer screen.Great way to start the day.
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I get what you're saying, when someone tried to lay a hit on him they may as well have gone to Trafalgar square and tried to bring down Lord Nelson- so hard Davo was.

I like the cut of your jib, connolly.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Is there a KFC at the SCG??
    Oh you!
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

+1

Blog Entries
    Unlike Bevo, who thinks like one.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    Well we can say with a great degree of certainty that it WONT be Paul Bevan cast in bronze, stone or playdough. However, if a statue of the blond pretender was commisioned, common comment from the general public would be "Bevo who?"
    Either that or "Bevan? He was a cricketer, why did they put a statue of him up as a footballer?"

Actually, I think it would be more likely to see a statue at the SCG of Michael before Paul, even if he did also play for SA and Tassie.

I'm on the Chandwagon!!!

If you cannot compete for the premiership, it's better to be young and exciting than middle-aged and dowdy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_B View Post
    Either that or "Bevan? He was a cricketer, why did they put a statue of him up as a footballer?"

Actually, I think it would be more likely to see a statue at the SCG of Michael before Paul, even if he did also play for SA and Tassie.
    Very good point - I didnt think of the cricket bloke.
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..................
    Chickens drink - but they don't pee!
    AGE IS ONLY IMPORTANT FOR TWO THINGS - WINE & CHEESE!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast