Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: South Melbourne/Port Melbourne FC supporters

bloodstainedangels Emerald Hill's Avatar

South Melbourne/Port Melbourne FC supporters

Through another thread, I've made contact with a couple of other South Melbourne and Port Melbourne FC fans.

Thought I'd start this thread for fellow SMFC/PMFC lovers to publicly declare their love for, and their experiences with, the Bloods and the Borough.

I remember as a young boy being there for Fred Cook's 100th goal. The funny thing was when he was on 99, he kicked quite a few behinds (I think it was 7 in total), before he kicked his 100th. Every time he kicked a behind, us kids would jump the fence only to be told it wasnt a goal and we would have to go back over the fence and wait. I remember it like it was yesterday. It was very funny.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    I remember as a young boy being there for Fred Cook's 100th goal. The funny thing was when he was on 99, he kicked quite a few behinds (I think it was 7 in total), before he kicked his 100th. Every time he kicked a behind, us kids would jump the fence only to be told it wasnt a goal and we would have to go back over the fence and wait. I remember it like it was yesterday. It was very funny.
    Absolute legend of Port Melbourne and the VFA, Cooky!

What's your link with South/Port, Johnno?

My Dad was born in Port and lived in South where he met and married my mum. He started taking me to South games when I was four. Although I have never actually lived in the area myself because Mum and Dad shifted out when they married, I consider South/Port to be "home".

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Hill View Post
    Absolute legend of Port Melbourne and the VFA, Cooky!

What's your link with South/Port, Johnno?

My Dad was born in Port and lived in South where he met and married my mum. He started taking me to South games when I was four. Although I have never actually lived in the area myself because Mum and Dad shifted out when they married, I consider South/Port to be "home".
    Born and raised in Port Melbourne. I now live around one corner of my parents old house and my sister lives around the other corner of my parents old house. So the family is still close to one another. As I said, have been there my whole life and am glad I have never left. Close the beach, close to the city, I walk to the telstra dome when the swans play there, easy to get to the M.C.G., just cut through South Melbourne and its about a 12 min drive tops. I went to quite a few VFA games in the past, I live only a 5 min walk away from North Port Oval, or TEAC oval as its called these days. Havent been to a VFA/VFL game for a while though.

Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    Born and raised in Port Melbourne. I now live around one corner of my parents old house and my sister lives around the other corner of my parents old house. So the family is still close to one another. As I said, have been there my whole life and am glad I have never left. Close the beach, close to the city, I walk to the telstra dome when the swans play there, easy to get to the M.C.G., just cut through South Melbourne and its about a 12 min drive tops. I went to quite a few VFA games in the past, I live only a 5 min walk away from North Port Oval, or TEAC oval as its called these days. Havent been to a VFA/VFL game for a while though.
    I'm jealous! I'd love to live in South/Port but can't afford it!

I go to a couple of Port games each year - just loved it when they had an alliance with the Swans and "up and comers" like Amon Buchanan and Luke Ablett were running around in Port jumpers - but the Bloods are my first love. Sounds like it's the same with you.

I never went to any Port games because they were on a Sunday, but I always watched them when the games were televised, I think it was on Channel 0. I was in the SM cheer squad in the 70's, so was reasonably involved with supporting the club.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Port boy as well here.

Didnt go to heaps of games though watched heaps on TV.
    Tony Ebayer ones of my favorites and loved big Vic Aanenson as well.
    Est 1874
    SMFC

Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    I never went to any Port games because they were on a Sunday, but I always watched them when the games were televised, I think it was on Channel 0. I was in the SM cheer squad in the 70's, so was reasonably involved with supporting the club.
    The Channel 0 telecasts were "must see" viewing. And the VFA games in those years really pulled big crowds.

The SMFC cheer squad didn't have much to cheer about in the 70s although we did play semi finals in 1970 and 1977. Unfortunately, we lost both games by healthy margins! Good to see Bobby Skilton play a final in 1970, though, and Graham Teasdale was an absolute star in his '77 Brownlow year.

How's the newest Swan, by the way?

Quote Originally Posted by 2005 View Post
    Port boy as well here.

Didnt go to heaps of games though watched heaps on TV.
    Tony Ebayer ones of my favorites and loved big Vic Aanenson as well.
    I liked "Stretch" Aanensen, too. He was a very good player for the Swans and the Borough. South did extremely well with Port Melbourne players around that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Hill View Post
    The Channel 0 telecasts were "must see" viewing. And the VFA games in those years really pulled big crowds.
    and had good blues.

The SMFC cheer squad didn't have much to cheer about in the 70s although we did play semi finals in 1970 and 1977. Unfortunately, we lost both games by healthy margins! Good to see Bobby Skilton play a final in 1970, though, and Graham Teasdale was an absolute star in his '77 Brownlow year.
    I was in the CS from 78-80

How's the newest Swan, by the way?
    He is doing really well, will be out of his enclosed crib into an open one hopefully some time over the weekend.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Mum and Dad from Port and took me to games at the Lake Oval. Unfortunately we moved from Port when still a toddler. If its any consolation i do live in another Port suburb. Still love Port.
    Bevo bandwagon driver

Quote Originally Posted by connolly View Post
    Mum and Dad from Port and took me to games at the Lake Oval. Unfortunately we moved from Port when still a toddler. If its any consolation i do live in another Port suburb. Still love Port.
    Another addition to our select band of Bloods/Borough fans!
    "Notwithstanding the sight of all our miseries, which press upon us and take us by the throat, we have an instinct which we cannot repress, and which lifts us up." - Pascal

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast