Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Swans place Barry on long-term injury list

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Some - not just on here - have criticised the list management following a relative thin trimming of the list at the end of last year, the premature departures of Fosdike and Kennelly (not to mention what appears to be a truncated rookie list), and a few more who look likely to depart at the end of this year.

But I reckon the failure to make the tough call on Leapin' is the one they will regret. No doubt it would have been a very hard thing to tell a captain and highly respected player it was time to go. But despite playing some pretty good football over the last couple of years, two consecutive seasons cut short by lingering hamstring problems should have been the signal that it was time to call it a day - moreso with the questions over Fosdike, Magic, Kennelly and Crouch's ongoing durability as well as Leo's. And unlike at least 3 of those, there was no contract to get in the way of salary cap management.
    I agree, but I was also one of those who thought Micky was dead and buried a couple of years ago and he came good pretty well.

I suppose the thing to remember is that even though these guys play havoc with their bodies, they are still relatively young and can come back from even longer term injuries.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by gossipcom View Post
    Here I was thinking, I was the only one who thought we shouldn't have delisted Brennan for this reason alone.

Whoever gets the position though, best wishes to them.
    Brennan may have signed his departure papers with some poor defensive performances, particularly the late season match against Freo. Looser than (oops family site). We will be better off perserving with Barlow as a tallish defender than Brennan.
    Bevo bandwagon driver

Roos comment on White. Not sure if it's an endorsement or some FantasyFooty bromide:

?Certainly a position exists over the next 1-2 years. He?s a big powerful kid who?s got good pace and has had a good pre-season. In terms of opportunity there?s one that exists for Jesse and he can take that during the NAB Cup and during the year. We?d like to see him continue his development and there?s an opportunity to fill Leo?s (Barry) role in the near future.?? ? coach PAUL ROOS

12 SuperCoach smokies | Herald Sun
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Suspended by the MRP

Toobee Shaw?

Has the Rhesus Macaque contracted rotor virus as yet?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama View Post
    Has the Rhesus Macaque contracted rotor virus as yet?
    Back onto the subject; Leo has a hammie late in 2008 as in 2007. Conspiracy theory; it was knee not a hammie but still signs a one year contract. Then in "pre-season" does a knee and has an arthroscope and is listed as out for 3 months. Hang on, can anyone tell me how long a standard arthroscope keeps a player off the park for?
    I thought it was the wonder op that gets them back quick. Just a clean up so to speak.

Dalai, as your close relation, the great Chinese detective Harry Who was want to say....."amaissing".

What a year 2005 SSFC/CFC
    Scorn was thrown around at the end of last season at any mention of cutting Leo. Well look at us know. Long term I/List in his last season a waste of probably 150/200k and another spot we could have drafted. I think Lewis J is a really good pickup but with Fossie Tadgh and Leo this year's list management has been appalling.
    Sports do not build character. They reveal it....Heywood Broun

I always turn to the sports pages first, which record people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures......Earl Warren

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-bloods View Post
    Scorn was thrown around at the end of last season at any mention of cutting Leo.
    Not from this little black duck.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    Scorn was thrown around at the end of last season at any mention of cutting Leo.

I thought he should have gone at the end of 2007.

He is now looking like a boxer who doesn't know when to quit.
    sprite

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    But I reckon the failure to make the tough call on Leapin' is the one they will regret. No doubt it would have been a very hard thing to tell a captain and highly respected player it was time to go. But despite playing some pretty good football over the last couple of years...
    The Swans have a very honest culture that outsiders don't really understand, so they would not be scared to tell a player he is no longer required.

At this stage we are missing 3-4 games from player who continues to be a vital cog. The list management issue is the failure to develop promising key talls to give proper support to club champions like Leo.

September will be the time to make an informed judgement, but even then that will be hard to come by on this forum.
    "As a player he simply should not have been able to do the things he did. Leo was a 185cm, 88kg full-back and played on some of the biggest, fastest and best full-forwards of all time, and constantly beat them." Roos.
    Leo Barry? you star! We'll miss ya, ''Leapin''.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    The Swans have a very honest culture that outsiders don't really understand, so they would not be scared to tell a player he is no longer required.

September will be the time to make an informed judgement, but even then that will be hard to come by on this forum.

And you know this how? I don't think the swans are anymore honest then any other club. I think you might be in love with the crap thats put out in the media, I have know idea myself of the goings on in the club but I reckon public image is onething and reality is something very different. As for your last comment just because you dont agree with a comment dosent make it any less informed than yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    By September the blinding obvious that Barry should not have been signed to a new contract will not be a "judgement" but hindsight. We have had two players walk out on contracts, an over the hill defender break down, a midfielder retire due to injury and a blow hasn't been struck. If this is the result of a "culture", as Goering said whenever you hear the word culture reach for your gun.
    Bevo bandwagon driver

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite View Post

He is now looking like a boxer who doesn't know when to quit.
    Punch Drunk...?

should have gone at the latest, end of 2008.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast