Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Swans place Barry on long-term injury list

I agree with Liz, Leo's effectiveness against the big forwards very much depends on his athleticism, age and injury have reduced his athletic ability to the extent that his contribution this year could amount to very little.

The crying shame is that Faulks was developing very nicely at fullback in the resssies, his final effort for us was a brilliant beat his man and rebound that led to the Beckmans kick after the siren that won the game. He was cut for his eforts, so instead of carrying on that development at the Swans, he is now plying his trade elsewhere.
    Pay peanuts get monkeys

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by connolly View Post
    an over the hill defender break down
    For once I agree C-man, but you forgot to add - living off that one mark
    sprite

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post

Dalai, as your close relation, the great Chinese detective Harry Who was want to say....."amaissing".
    Didn't the dirty Decetive Harry also go to say "you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"

On the Rookie List
    Have to say our backline lacks experience without Leo down there - he gives some stability to it and leadership. Whether they play him on the back flank as opposed to full back - not sure. Poor Leo could play above his height and weight a few years ago but think it is unreasonable for Roosey to think he can still do it. I do believe, he is still a required player down back. Thought White was really average on Tredrea; a lot better when he is up forward. Let's hope Leo proves us all wrong.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Thought White was really average on Tredrea; a lot better when he is up forward. Let's hope Leo proves us all wrong.
    I think some perspective needs to be put around White's performance on Tredrea. Yes, he was beaten but:

- Tredrea may be nearer the end of his career than the start but at his prime he was one of - if not the - best power forward going around and he is still a handy player. He is no older than Hall and we all still expect Hall will regularly beat his man.

- Particularly in the second quarter, the ball was coming into the Port forward line at will and there was almost no pressure from the Sydney midfield. Even the best, most experienced key defender will struggle to defend one-on-one in these circumstances because the forward is able to dictate the play and the backman has to react. I really doubt a fit Leo would have been able to do much more on Tredrea than White did with the rest of the team not functioning.

- White is still very experienced. We shouldn't expect him to come in and perform as the best key backs perform. He has to learn and the only way he is going to do it is by playing on players like Tredrea and learning.

I am quite disappointed that Grundy and White got switched at half-time. I thought Grundy looked sharp and productive in the first 5 minutes of the game while the Swans were winning the ball all around the ground. For most of the rest of the first half he had little chance to operate as a forward because the ball was rarely down that end. And when the Swans put on that mini-spurt in the third quarter, he wasn't up there to show what he could add to the forward line. White might have done a couple of useful things but I suspect Grundy would have done just as much, if not more, had he been down there while the Swans were actually attacking. After all, the one goal that White actually scored was created almost totally by ROK's kick that forced White to the right spot.

I am not anti-White as a forward (though I reckon he is more likely to make it as a back in the long term). I just wish they'd make up there minds with the pair of them (White and Grundy) and not switch it halfway through a game that doesn't really matter when most of the rest of the team is non-functioning.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123