Thread: Places up for grabs round 1

Places up for grabs round 1

As it turns out there aren't that many places up for grabs.

Out for start of season - O'Loughlin, Schmidt, Barry, Playfair

There are 17 inked in starters for round 1...barring further injury, of course.

Backs - C. Bolton, T. Richards, M. Mattner, L Roberts-Thomson, P. Bevan, N. Malceski,

Ruck - D. Jolly,

Midfield - B. Kirk, A. Goodes, J. McVeigh, L. Ablett, N. Malceski,

Forwards - B. Hall, J. Moore, K. Jack, C. Bird, R. O'Keefe, Tall Forward

Bench - Second Ruckman, Spare Tall, Two Medium Midfielder/Forwards

So that's only 5 players unknown. Of these we need 1 Ruckman, 1 O'Loughlin replacement and 1 Barry replacement plus two mids. Who will they be? In order of probability the midfield contenders are

Veszpremi
    Crouch
    O'Dwyer
    Smith
    Brabazon
    Laidlaw
    Meredith
    D. O'Keefe
    Thornton

Ruckman Contenders

Currie
    Pyke
    White

Tall Forward Contenders

Grundy
    Barlow
    White
    Johnstone

Tall Back Contenders

Grundy
    White
    Pyke

So for all the hype about places up fro grabs and new players etc...in all probability the five will be Veszpremi, Crouch, Grundy, White and just the one new bloke in Currie (or Pyke). So not as exciting as I thought this exercise might be.

Would be exciting to see a brilliant NAB cup display from Johnstone or Meredith just demanding their spot. Sigh.

PS. For those wondering...Location not Buxton for a while (till the road reopens) house fine, garden, a mess, new baby Caspar is 12 days old and will hold the title of youngest Swans fan on the planet till someone on RWO says different!
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Pushing for Selection
    I'm pretty sure Shaw will play in rd 1 if available

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuhob View Post
    I'm pretty sure Shaw will play in rd 1 if available
    Agree.

Some of the other spots I doubt are inked. Ablett has been ill according to newspaper results so we don't know what physical condition he is in. And despite the games they played last year, I don't think Jack or Bird would consider themselves inked in. Maybe pencilled, but it must be possible that one or two of the other young up-and-comers will have such a good pre-season campaign that they pressure these guys for their spots. That is what is exciting about the next few weeks - finding out who's ready and who's not.

White would be certain to come in for Round One. Either as a replacement for Leo in Defence or as the 2nd Ruckman if Currie doesn't impress during the Practice Matches considering he has just got over a groin injury (Currie, not White)

As for the MOL replacment, well Grundy would be first cab off the rank you would think. If he doesn't get that spot and considering Playfair is out injured then only Lewis Johnstone would be available as Tall Forward option (taking into the fact White most likely will be used elsewhere on the ground).

Still it does leave at least 2 spots open with more possible if injuries and form come into play (which they normally do) so exciting times ahead.
    Once was, now elsewhere

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Agree.

Some of the other spots I doubt are inked. Ablett has been ill according to newspaper results so we don't know what physical condition he is in. And despite the games they played last year, I don't think Jack or Bird would consider themselves inked in. Maybe pencilled, but it must be possible that one or two of the other young up-and-comers will have such a good pre-season campaign that they pressure these guys for their spots. That is what is exciting about the next few weeks - finding out who's ready and who's not.
    This is the second time recently that you have said that Jack and Bird would not be walk up starts. Both these players were good last year and Bird played all but 2 games IIRC in his 1st season. I expect Bird to be an outstanding midfielder. I would consider them well ahead of Ablett and
    J Bolton who Sharp9 omitted to name. They have youth on their side and showed they are more than capable of finding more of the ball than Bolton and Ablett who have a decided lack of pace. While Bird is not the quickest going around he knows "where to go" and his delivery is way superior to what Bolton's has ever been, so early in his career.

Make that 6 places as you have the Eski as playing back and midfield.

How is LRT a cert?

Is Ablett over his recent illness? Might not be match fi.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    This is the second time recently that you have said that Jack and Bird would not be walk up starts. Both these players were good last year and Bird played all but 2 games IIRC in his 1st season. I expect Bird to be an outstanding midfielder.

They were good and no doubt they are near the top of the list challenging for spots. But one season doesn't establish a player as a certain starter. It is pretty common for players to find their second year at senior level more challenging than their first. The expectations on them increase, and they often get more attention from the opposition who have had more time to work out their weaknesses and how to explout them.

Add to that the pressure coming from below. The guys challenging them for their spots are themselves in their 3rd and 4th years on the list so should be reasonable mature. Some of them have had a small taste of senior footy - as Jack did in 2007. Some are champing at the bit for their first chance. It only takes a couple of these to have outstanding pre-seasons and/or for Jack or Bird to drop off slightly from last year and there may not be room for them in the team.

Like you I am optimistic about their long-term potential. I just don't think that translates to them being inked in for round 1 before the preseason campaign has even got under way. We'll have more of an idea on Sunday night.

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned Jake Orreal in these discussions. He made huge progress last year and was one of the rookies who helped get the ressies over the line. If he can continue that improvement he's a motza to get elevated. Both he and Currie can also play forward; Crusher had only played as a tall forward before he was drafted, and anybody who has watched the ressies will know that he is very accurate in front of the big sticks. I hope that our fitness people have not done it agian and crippled Dan by overtraining him pre season.

I had good mail at the end of last season that Currie and White were the two young talls pencilled in for elevation this year.

If Scooter can get fitter than last year, stay healthy and keep his hat size from expanding I want to see him in.

I hope Barlow has had his arse kicked and kicked hard in the off season, because he had a huge dose of second year blues last year. If his headgear from 2007 fits again he should be another to step up.

I think those four plus ex scum Shaw are the five most likely.

The blokes I will be looking at this pre season are O'Keefe, Laidlaw, Thornton and Meredith. They all have talent, but have been crippled with injury. I would be thrilled if any of them stepped up in the pre season and demanded top be picked.

Crouch was just so important in 05. My logic says he is finished; it would be a huge bonus if he gets back to that level this year.
    Pay peanuts get monkeys

Sorry my mistake....I was moving Shaw etc between mid and back trying to get the correct number overall....So Shaw in (one of the Malceski's out) and J. Bolton in (of Course) leaving just one mid player (probably) Vezs, two talls and a ruckman to be decided.

Wish I could count properly!
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005