Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bruce Purser Oval opens in style

Almost Football Legend

Bruce Purser Oval opens in style

The NSWACT-AFL and the East Coast Eagles are to be congratulated for the way the AFL trial at Bruce Purser was conducted tonight.
    The ground was in great shape, the catering and all other arrangements went smootly (so far as I could tell); and as well as promoting the AFL the local Sydney competition and the East Coast Eagles were well promoted throughout the night.
    The ground is a great advertisement for Sydney football. For those who didn't make it out there tonight, when your team is away to East Coast Eagles you'll be playing on the best surface in Sydney footy. For the Eagles, having their own ground has been a long time in coming; but it's been worth the wait.

I'll be uploading some pics from the game shortly and I'll put the link up on the RWO Chat board when they're online; but I've done these ones first for the NSW-ACT Footy board - these are of the official opening ceremony at half-time.

The official party:
    http://www.harboursport.com/DSCF3110.JPG

Baulkham Hills Mayor Larry Bolitho addresses the gathering:
    http://www.harboursport.com/DSCF3115.JPG

The Mayor unveils the plaque:
    http://www.harboursport.com/DSCF3118.JPG

The Mayor with East Coast's Gus Seebeck and Peter Physick:
    http://www.harboursport.com/DSCF3130.JPG

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

I was at the game last night, and what an incredible atmosphere it was, so many kids, and i dare say, many new faces introduced to the game, which is what its all about. East Coast, for whatever reason, tall poppy syndrome i think, has many knockers in this league, and especially from the countless people who choose to not put their names to their comments, but they should be applauded for the many long years of lobbying local council for their own patch of ground to call their own. Pete Physick has been instrumental in all of this from day dot, and can be proud of last night's outcome. Easily the best surface in Sydney, testament to this is a tick of approval from the AFL to play last night's game there. All players who trot onto the pristine surface of Purser will be more then happy, as it will a pleasure to play on. I cant wait til we meet UTS there as part of the Nor-West Gala Day.
    Also worth a mention was all the support staff from the Eagles, who did the "1%ers" cleaning up, selling food and drinks, a great job by them too.

Senior Player
    [QUOTE=Pekay;428515]Easily the best surface in Sydney, testament to this is a tick of approval from the AFL to play last night's game there. All players who trot onto the pristine surface of Purser will be more then happy, as it will a pleasure to play on. I cant wait til we meet UTS there as part of the Nor-West Gala Day.
    QUOTE]

Sorry mate Ill disagree with that one. Id challenge anyone to come to Rosedale this week and have a look at the playing surface and give an honest opinion on its surface and if they didnt say it was at least the equal of Pursner then they'd be lying. The groundsmen have done a great job on the surface this year (after no work due to the horse flu last year) believe whilst we think it looks superb now we wont see its best for another two years when the new grass that has been seeded really comes into its own. Unfortunately for us though during the footy season it doesnt get maintained to the same level that it does for cricket.

Im not having a go at Pursner but it will take time for the surface to settle. And yes I have seen the ground a number of times as I only live a few minutes from it.

[QUOTE=tara;428523]
    Quote Originally Posted by Pekay View Post
    Easily the best surface in Sydney, testament to this is a tick of approval from the AFL to play last night's game there. All players who trot onto the pristine surface of Purser will be more then happy, as it will a pleasure to play on. I cant wait til we meet UTS there as part of the Nor-West Gala Day.
    QUOTE]

Sorry mate Ill disagree with that one. Id challenge anyone to come to Rosedale this week and have a look at the playing surface and give an honest opinion on its surface and if they didnt say it was at least the equal of Pursner then they'd be lying. The groundsmen have done a great job on the surface this year (after no work due to the horse flu last year) believe whilst we think it looks superb now we wont see its best for another two years when the new grass that has been seeded really comes into its own. Unfortunately for us though during the footy season it doesnt get maintained to the same level that it does for cricket.

Im not having a go at Pursner but it will take time for the surface to settle. And yes I have seen the ground a number of times as I only live a few minutes from it.
    Who Cares Tara???????????????????????????

I didnt know they were handing out trophies for the best ground in SFL?????

will finals be played there do you think?

Senior Player
    [QUOTE=GoEagles;428526]
    Quote Originally Posted by tara View Post

Who Cares Tara???????????????????????????

I didnt know they were handing out trophies for the best ground in SFL?????
    I think the work that the Eagles have done is fantastic and regardless of what people may say are brilliantly run by those behind the scenes but supporters like you are fools plain and simple and your constant smartarse remarks show what limited intellect you have.

Personnally I think my remarks have hit home for you because Id imagine that if the powers did hand out such a trophy you would have loved it -pity your a bridesmaid again.

Almost Football Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by #31 View Post
    will finals be played there do you think?
    I think they're committed to Henson for this year, but for future years it's a possibility. Blacktown would be another possible future finals venue.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Norris Lurker View Post
    I think they're committed to Henson for this year, but for future years it's a possibility. Blacktown would be another possible future finals venue.
    Certainly a better venue than Henson but you would imagine the AFL want a neutral venue if possible. If Blacktown makes its deadline you would imagine that all the Premier Div and other higher grades would be there in the future.

Also kinda (most likely wrong) remember something about Pursner holding some finals this year after the problems experienced with last years finals.

[QUOTE=tara;428523]
    Quote Originally Posted by Pekay View Post
    Easily the best surface in Sydney, testament to this is a tick of approval from the AFL to play last night's game there. All players who trot onto the pristine surface of Purser will be more then happy, as it will a pleasure to play on. I cant wait til we meet UTS there as part of the Nor-West Gala Day.
    QUOTE]

Good to hear Tara. I have played on Rosedale when it was yellow - up there with Gwawley "I have no more ankle cartlidge left" Oval.

Indeed it will Tara, but as i said, the proof is in the fact that an AFL game has been played on Purser, within weeks of its opening. The cricket pitch was barely noticeable, the balance of the surface was even, hardly a fault to pick. I haven't been to Rosedale since last years trial between our clubs, but if its as good as you say, post some pics up so we can have a look!!

Not a bad little ground at all - the playing surface looked great. Shame there wasn't enough VIP area to cater for all of us

I'll definitely come out for a look throughout the year - it is just 10 min from my place.

Pekay, DG said he ran into you on the way in. I must have just missed you because I was sprinting back to my spot after the bastard called me halfway through the first quarter to go and give him his tickets at the gate!

177th Senior AFL Match - Round 4, 2009 - Sydney vs Carlton, SCG. This is obviously out of date. I suppose I'll update it once I could be bothered sitting down with the fixture and working it out....
    Des' Weblog

Yeah Des i was speaking to him about coming back out to play for a good 10 minutes, so i must've just missed you-shame, haven't seen you for awhile!
    Had a look at some of the pics you took, you had a great spot where you were. I only stayed around the beer and food outlets and managed to sneak into the VIP tent for a about half an hour to chat to some old friends, so will be sure to take a walk around there next time i'm out there. Stand by what i said, it looks fantastic, cream of Sydney footy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast