Thread: Pre-season comp revamp that I would like to see.

Pre-season comp revamp that I would like to see.

I have been thinking about the NAB cup, and how boring it is to have the same teams running around as in the regular season.

I would like to see the AFL do something a bit radical in the next few seasons by adding other "lower" grade teams to the comp. My thoughts are to have a 5 week knockout format. This would comprise of 32 teams, 16 AFL teams, the top 4 teams from each of the WAFL, SANFL and VFL and a team each from Tas, NSW/ACT, Qld and NT.

The draw would have to be done randomly so that it doesn't just end up with and AFL teams playing non-AFL teams in the first round and all of the "non-AFL" teams getting knocked out in the first round.

All in all it would be a little like the FA Cup, giving the clubs outside the top echelon to have some competition against the top teams in the land.

I know it's not a perfect system, but I think it could add some more interest to the comp than what there currently is.

Anyone have any thoughts?
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Commentary Team Captain BeeEmmAre's Avatar
    I still say no NAB Cup and a 30-round season, but your proposal has merit.
    Don't know how competitive the four minor State teams would be, unless they were of course representative teams. They'd still get beaten, but not by as much.
    "It's up to the rest of the players in the room to make a new batch of premiership players next year," Adam Goodes, triple Bob Skilton Medallist, October 7, 2011.

YOU BETCHA!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BeeEmmAre View Post
    I still say no NAB Cup and a 30-round season, but your proposal has merit.
    Don't know how competitive the four minor State teams would be, unless they were of course representative teams. They'd still get beaten, but not by as much.
    I agree with you on the amount of rounds. There must be some way to liven up the pre-season cup if they insist on having one.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    I agree with you on the amount of rounds. There must be some way to liven up the pre-season cup if they insist on having one.
    Call it the Ansett Cup ... as a true reflection of it's relevance.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

On the Rookie List Darren Thomson's Avatar
    I went to the Wollongong under 12's to watch a friends boy run around, some of the players swaopped jerseys at half time and played on the other side to even out the talent, maybe the afl should do this with games, we could swap NOG for Judd, LRT for Jimmy BArtel etc, what fun

Paul Roos for PM