Thread: West Sydney team doomed, Senate told

West Sydney team doomed, Senate told

It appears the stooges at AFL House are the only people in Australia that believe a Western Sydney team can succeed.

West Sydney team doomed, Senate told

"You'll end up with a non-viable team in western Sydney and losing your base in Tasmania," Greens senator Christine Milne said. "What about that for a strategy?"
    Last edited by goswannie14; 28th March 2009 at 09:25 AM.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Great Story......

Its a hoot.....and spot on. Western Sydney franchaise is just throwing money away.....they are dreaming especially with falling Swans memberships....The development of a team in Tassie has a far greater chance of success than any West Sydney/Gold Coast proposal. We can always go back to that hoary old chestnut.....there are too many clubs in Melbourne.....one should go to Tassie! ASAP.

They want an extra team in Sydney because they belive it will lead to more viewers on TV thus equally higher prices for TV rights. No thought whatsoever to the viability of that team or the support a Tassie team would generate both sponsorship wise and member wise.

But cash is king and that's what the stooges at AFL House are chasing....

I'm on the Chandwagon!!!

If you cannot compete for the premiership, it's better to be young and exciting than middle-aged and dowdy.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Ed Biggs, who ran the National Australian Football Council, told the inquiry a western Sydney team was a "massive, massive risk" that could end in disaster.

Biggs, who has been a long term advocate of Australian football's expansion into a national code, said he was an optimist but also a realist.

"They are biting off a lot more than they can chew with the Gold Coast and western Sydney," Biggs said.

"They are kicking against the wind for four quarters."

Sounds about right.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

I'll enjoy the look on Demetriou's face if it indeed becomes a disaster.
    I only support one team: The SYDNEY SWANS!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 573v30 View Post
    I'll enjoy the look on Demetriou's face if it indeed becomes a disaster.
    He would bail out way before that happened.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

I'm guessing they're in it for the long haul - ie - a strategy of "we're prepared to lose money for a decade or more before beginning to break even".

It's all about the AFL brand in their minds. Very risky IMO.

On merits, Tassie should clearly have a team. If one of the Melbourne teams eventually succumbs to the AFL's financial "gun to the head" approach to support (and sees no alternative but to relocate), the AFL will be delighted to send them on the way.

But they won't support a new club there because (as I think another poster mentioned somewhere else) the Taswegians already tune in to the AFL tv wise. Apart from a few Hawks games there, what choice do they have? Therefore, there is no additional tv revenue to come from there, and the revenue streams for a new franchise would be weak also. Even if every single person on the apple isle spent $10 somehow connected to a Tassie AFL team, it would still only amount to 3 million dollars (half the playing roster's salary per season).

The financials just don't stack up. But neither do they in West Sydney, so it comes back to what the hierarchy of the AFL want. They always get what they want, so West Sydney will more likely happen than not, no matter what anyone here (or anywhere else) thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood View Post
    I'm guessing they're in it for the long haul - ie - a strategy of "we're prepared to lose money for a decade or more before beginning to break even".

It's all about the AFL brand in their minds. Very risky IMO.
    Yeah well I wouldn't be going and spending that $780 million in a big mad hurry ... it's not likely that the next deal will go for half that much - not in the new world GFC*.

* It's not the "Global Financial Crisis" any more ... Ch7 just call it GFC. Noice.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

can't see it working