Thread: Research needed

I'm SO over the swans! swan_song's Avatar

Research needed

I would be interested to discover how many times over, say, the past three seasons (or even since Roosie took over), that we have gone a quarter without goaling, or a half without goaling, or a half only kicking one or 2 goals.
    It would be interesting to see how this compared to other teams, going goalless for quarters...
    "Davis...Davis has kicked 2...he snaps from 40...dont tell me, dont tell me, hes kicked a goal....unbelievable stuff from Nick Davis, can you believe this, he's kicked 3 final quarter goals and Swans are within 3 points..."

A lot...certainly way more than any other team in the comp....surely you've got an hour up your sleeve to look at the results? Should make really enjoyable reading
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Yep, you want to find out so you can justify not renewing your membership this year, then go ahead.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

i am willing to bet that we have held a lot more teams goaless for a quarter of football then they have held us goaless in the time Roos has been in charged. Think about it, in 05 and 06 especially, how many teams had goaless quartes against us, heaps.

I'm SO over the swans! swan_song's Avatar
    OK GoSwannie here goes:

Since 2005, the Swans have played 59 quarters in which they have scored either one goal or no goals. Included in that were many games in which they scored only two or three goals in halves of footy. And this with a forward line that at times included Pebbles, Bazza, Magic and ND....
    Now its not true that they lost all those games, and in fact they still managed to win many of them, but in my book it does show that there is something very wrong when a team is so bereft of scoring opportunities for such long periods of time.
    It's also true that many teams go quarters without scoring more than a goal, but I wonder if those teams do so over such a period of time. In 2005 there were 14 games in which the Swans scored only one or no goals in a quarter; in 2006 it was 10 games; 2007 12 games; 2008 9 games.
    In these games the Bullies, Collingwood, Saints, Crows feature heavily, but we've also had trouble scoring against nearly every other team in those years.
    "Davis...Davis has kicked 2...he snaps from 40...dont tell me, dont tell me, hes kicked a goal....unbelievable stuff from Nick Davis, can you believe this, he's kicked 3 final quarter goals and Swans are within 3 points..."

Fascinating (not really) - what is your point?

Regular in the Side
    It was certainly very frustrating seeing the Swans failing to kick a goal against St Kilda for back to back quarters. For the record: since 1973, South Melbourne/Sydney has only failed to kicked goals in back to back quarters just four times:

R12 Essendon-Middle two quarters

R8 Brisbane Bears -First two quarters

R21 Carlton-First two quarters

R 1 St Kilda-Middle two quarters
    Last edited by top40; 31st March 2009 at 08:47 PM. Reason: mistake

Regular in the Side
    Top40 - you are scary.

Thanks stats man.
    Now.
    Get up.
    Turn off the computer.
    Go outside.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Thanks stats man.
    Now.
    Get up.
    Turn off the computer.
    Go outside.
    But the stats are all like, right over there. You just need to know where to look.
    10100111001 ;-)

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by bandwagon View Post
    Top40 - you are scary.

Perhaps I'll scare you some more by stating that the last time the Swans were goal less for three quarters in row was in 1962 Round 6 against Melbourne. Herein they didn't score a single goal for the last three quarters at the game. South's final score was 1.11 (17).