Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 37 to 48 of 88

Thread: Sam Newman's Blast against the Swans

  1. #37
    On the Rookie List Robbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    2,946
    Sam said our negative style of play was pathetic. That's true.

    We played positively last night and moved the ball quickly.

    Sam shouldn't have to eat his words, because we didn't win by playing the style of footy that he was bagging.

  2. #38
    Veterans List DeadlyAkkuret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    4,469
    Pretty sure he said a lot more than that, actually.

  3. #39
    Leadership Group goswannie14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Belmont, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    11,166
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbo View Post
    Sam said our negative style of play was pathetic. That's true.

    We played positively last night and moved the ball quickly.

    Sam shouldn't have to eat his words, because we didn't win by playing the style of footy that he was bagging.
    You're right Robbo, I can't believe the stupidity of some of the postings on here. As I said earlier, Sam said what most people on here said about round 1, but because he says it they take offence.

    For the record, if the Swans had played in round 1 like they did on the weekend, then Sam would not have said anything. To say saturday night proved Sam wrong is just stupid, because the style we played on Saturday night was not what Sam was bagging.
    Last edited by goswannie14; 6th April 2009 at 10:52 AM.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

  4. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Donners View Post
    Don't disagree with him. I enjoyed watching the Swans in the early 90s more than I do now - and that was when we were getting belted.
    This sums it up pretty well. Some people here would rather watch the Swans play "attractively" than win. Forgive me if I don't find that a compelling argument.

  5. #41
    On the Rookie List
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    In the Valley
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    You're right Robbo, I can't believe the stupidity of some of the postings on here.
    or the record, if the Swans had played in round 1 like they did on the weekend, then Sam would not have said anything. To say saturday night proved Sam wrong is just stupid, because the style we played on Saturday night was not what Sam was bagging.
    Sam wasnt just talking about Round 1! If he was, I wouldnt have bothered posting anything because yes, they played terribly, everyone agrees. However all teams have their off games. His comments are not warranted. Alot of the games the swans play are heartstoppers. Lets face it, Sam always bags the Swans. Next it will be Sydney only beat the Hawks because of their injuries blah blah blah.

  6. #42
    Swans Tragic No. 1 BigD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Milperra, NSW
    Posts
    394
    All I can say is

    GET THAT ONE INTO YA SAMMIE BOY!!

  7. #43
    On the Rookie List johnno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    1,102
    Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Hill View Post
    Absolutely right, Johnno. Sam's been bagging us ever since 2005 and predicts our demise every week/year. I suppose he works on the assumption that if he keeps saying it, one day he'll be right.
    and another thing.... I have always believed in a certain 'conspirecy theory' revolving around The Footy Show and the Swans. I have believed now for a few years, that on this program, they always previewed the swans vs whoever game as the last game they would preview week in week out. Spend 30 seconds on it and say goodnight. This doesnt bother me as I live in Melbourne, but once I found out the show goes to Sydney, but very late, like the NRL footy show does here, and the melbourne footy show almost always rune 20-30 minutes over time, the people in Sydney dont see the swans preview until very, very late, possibly 2:00am(ish). Always felt this was done deliberetly by Eddie and Channel 9 cause of his hatred for us. Even when they seem to doing games in order as they appeared on fixtures, even if the swans were playing on a saturday afternoon, it always seemed that they were previwed last.

  8. #44
    pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Coast NSW
    Posts
    6,327
    Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    and another thing.... I have always believed in a certain 'conspirecy theory' revolving around The Footy Show and the Swans. I have believed now for a few years, that on this program, they always previewed the swans vs whoever game as the last game they would preview week in week out. Spend 30 seconds on it and say goodnight. This doesnt bother me as I live in Melbourne, but once I found out the show goes to Sydney, but very late, like the NRL footy show does here, and the melbourne footy show almost always rune 20-30 minutes over time, the people in Sydney dont see the swans preview until very, very late, possibly 2:00am(ish). Always felt this was done deliberetly by Eddie and Channel 9 cause of his hatred for us. Even when they seem to doing games in order as they appeared on fixtures, even if the swans were playing on a saturday afternoon, it always seemed that they were previwed last.
    ..
    I never kept a tally, but it felt like it, and was one of the reasons I gave it away a long time ago. There were, of course, other reasons.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

  9. #45
    Surely this is a mistake after his outburst on the Footy Show and tipping the Hawks.

    AFL Tipping - Experts tips - Round 2
    Sam Newman AFL Footy Show
    Last week: 8/8

    Crows
    Cats
    Demons
    Blues
    Swans
    Bombers
    Bulldogs
    Eagles

    WWOS - AFL page

  10. #46
    I agree, always seems an anti-swans bias, often the last game previewed, even if its not the last game played. Could the 'bad' feelings be both ways? Not many swans players seem to be guests!

  11. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    All I can say is

    GET THAT ONE INTO YA SAMMIE BOY!!

    BigD i have a mate who is good mates with Sammy and he said that he watched the game on saturday night because he wanted to see our style of play. He said that he feels a bit silly for his tirade on the footy show, but he feels like maybe Roosy and a few others had been inspired by the spray. I'm not sure how anyone can possibly disagree with Sammy's comments. We played some of the worst football ever seen in the match against the Saints so something had to give.

  12. #48
    On the Rookie List johnno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    1,102
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    ..
    I never kept a tally, but it felt like it, and was one of the reasons I gave it away a long time ago. There were, of course, other reasons.
    Once I began to notice it, I deliberately looked out for it and I can tell you it happened a bit too often.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO