Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 49 to 60 of 88

Thread: Sam Newman's Blast against the Swans

  1. #49
    In The Apple Isle Cheer Squad mbr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Lifting That Noble Banner High!
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    Once I began to notice it, I deliberately looked out for it and I can tell you it happened a bit too often.
    This also happens with some of the other interstate teams.
    "Two cities, One team, Together, Living the Dream."

  2. #50
    On the Rookie List Robbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    2,946
    If we won by playing the type of footy that he bagged, then he would have to eat his words.

    But this wasn't the case.

  3. #51
    On the Rookie List Jewels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Copacabana
    Posts
    3,258
    Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    Once I began to notice it, I deliberately looked out for it and I can tell you it happened a bit too often.
    Yes, you are right. I watch the footy show every week (I'm a masochist)
    particularly now it is on 9HD and at a decent time and I would say that nine out of ten times we are either last or close to last and they race through it.
    While on the subject, on "AFL Teams" on Thursday night, when they did our game, they never acknowledged Lewie's 100th, our injuries, our dream team point scorers or anything yet acknowledged Williams 100th and all other teams milestones, injuries etc! It was a disgrace.

  4. #52
    Carpe Noctem CureTheSane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Knoxfield, Victoria
    Posts
    4,785
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbo View Post
    Sam said our negative style of play was pathetic. That's true.

    We played positively last night and moved the ball quickly.

    Sam shouldn't have to eat his words, because we didn't win by playing the style of footy that he was bagging.
    Yep.

    There could be an argument taht Sam inspired the Swans to change their game plan.
    I'm sure that's the way the Footy Show will present it.
    I know if I had publicly complained about the Swans game plan, say on radio, and then they changed it, I'd be ringing back in claiming that it was my influence
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

  5. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    Yep.

    There could be an argument taht Sam inspired the Swans to change their game plan.
    I'm sure that's the way the Footy Show will present it.
    I know if I had publicly complained about the Swans game plan, say on radio, and then they changed it, I'd be ringing back in claiming that it was my influence
    Sounds very Robert walls in 2005.
    10100111001 ;-)

  6. #54
    Leadership Group goswannie14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Belmont, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    11,166
    Quote Originally Posted by sidswan View Post
    Can someone post the address for Shanes mailbag? Thanks
    Why, can't you use a computer?
    Does God believe in Atheists?

  7. #55
    Senior Player sharp9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Cust, New Zealand
    Posts
    2,334
    We beat Richmond by 100 points a couple of years ago...Essendon by 100 points....etc, etc, etc.....what the nuff nuffs in the media don't understand is that the game plan has not changed (certainly not from round one to round two 2009!!) it's just that sometimes we are no good. In particular , when we lose the midfield clearances and contested possessions and tackles we fail to score because our game plan requires getting men free and linking up. When the effort is down we not only lose the contested ball but we (worse) can't get men free when we do have possession....which leads to stuffing around and either turnovers or ball-ups /throw ins downfield. Only a nuff nuff would think that we WANT to play like that!!!!! Lots of ballups and no scoring when we have possession is an indicator that we are playing @@@@@...not an indicator of a boring game plan! The complication (and let's face it almost none of the ex player media commentators can comprehend a two dimensional idea) is that for a long time we were the only side who could still when win the other team were playing better. We did this by sheer effort and force of will to CAUSE stoppages WHEN THE OPPOSITION HAD THE BALL. This is called brilliant and tenacious defence...now perfected by Collingwood, Geelong Hawthorn (last year) and St. Kilda (this year). Idiots opined that the Swans game plan is to cause stoppages......true...but NOT WHEN WE HAVE THE BLOODY BALL!!!!!!!! Our game plan if we are winning the contested ball is to score 8 goals in a quarter.

    As a rule of thumb, four goals in a quarter is winning football. We have done this on (I think) 5 of 8 quarters this year. I'll take that as an indicator of a healthy game plan going pretty well.

    To recap - we don't INTEND to score 8 goals to 7 to win a match...we just deserve kudos for all the time we managed to win even though we were being "beaten" by every measure and couldn't manage to score more than 8 goals in an entire game.

    Terry Wallace (speaking of nuff nuffs) and Mathew Knights both brought on the kids with public mantra of "we're going out there to score 4 goals a quarter". They are the ones with the crap "game plan" if the "game plan" didn't include what to do on the days when the opposition midfield is giving you a belting and you would give your eye teeth for a single stoppage in the middle of the ground.
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

  8. #56
    On the Rookie List
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    827
    Quote Originally Posted by Donners View Post
    Don't disagree with him. I enjoyed watching the Swans in the early 90s more than I do now - and that was when we were getting belted.
    You cannot be serious!

  9. #57
    pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Coast NSW
    Posts
    6,325
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    We beat Richmond by 100 points a couple of years ago...Essendon by 100 points....etc, etc, etc.....what the nuff nuffs in the media don't understand is that the game plan has not changed (certainly not from round one to round two 2009!!) it's just that sometimes we are no good. In particular , when we lose the midfield clearances and contested possessions and tackles we fail to score because our game plan requires getting men free and linking up. When the effort is down we not only lose the contested ball but we (worse) can't get men free when we do have possession....which leads to stuffing around and either turnovers or ball-ups /throw ins downfield. Only a nuff nuff would think that we WANT to play like that!!!!! Lots of ballups and no scoring when we have possession is an indicator that we are playing @@@@@...not an indicator of a boring game plan! The complication (and let's face it almost none of the ex player media commentators can comprehend a two dimensional idea) is that for a long time we were the only side who could still when win the other team were playing better. We did this by sheer effort and force of will to CAUSE stoppages WHEN THE OPPOSITION HAD THE BALL. This is called brilliant and tenacious defence...now perfected by Collingwood, Geelong Hawthorn (last year) and St. Kilda (this year). Idiots opined that the Swans game plan is to cause stoppages......true...but NOT WHEN WE HAVE THE BLOODY BALL!!!!!!!! Our game plan if we are winning the contested ball is to score 8 goals in a quarter.

    As a rule of thumb, four goals in a quarter is winning football. We have done this on (I think) 5 of 8 quarters this year. I'll take that as an indicator of a healthy game plan going pretty well.

    To recap - we don't INTEND to score 8 goals to 7 to win a match...we just deserve kudos for all the time we managed to win even though we were being "beaten" by every measure and couldn't manage to score more than 8 goals in an entire game.

    Terry Wallace (speaking of nuff nuffs) and Mathew Knights both brought on the kids with public mantra of "we're going out there to score 4 goals a quarter". They are the ones with the crap "game plan" if the "game plan" didn't include what to do on the days when the opposition midfield is giving you a belting and you would give your eye teeth for a single stoppage in the middle of the ground.
    Thoughtful post, and well said.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

  10. #58
    In The Apple Isle Cheer Squad mbr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Lifting That Noble Banner High!
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    Yes, you are right. I watch the footy show every week (I'm a masochist)
    particularly now it is on 9HD and at a decent time and I would say that nine out of ten times we are either last or close to last and they race through it.
    While on the subject, on "AFL Teams" on Thursday night, when they did our game, they never acknowledged Lewie's 100th, our injuries, our dream team point scorers or anything yet acknowledged Williams 100th and all other teams milestones, injuries etc! It was a disgrace.
    Sounds disgraceful, doesn't it!
    "Two cities, One team, Together, Living the Dream."

  11. #59
    If you want a more balanced footy show then watch the Marngook Footy show (if you get foxtel). Much better analysis , none of the rubbish that the footy show serves up and balanced commentary by a group of experienced footballers without a gripe.

    They dont hide the fact they might barrack for a particular team but also they dont let this get in the way of a good discussion.

  12. #60
    On the Rookie List Jewels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Copacabana
    Posts
    3,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    If you want a more balanced footy show then watch the Marngook Footy show (if you get foxtel). Much better analysis , none of the rubbish that the footy show serves up and balanced commentary by a group of experienced footballers without a gripe.

    They dont hide the fact they might barrack for a particular team but also they dont let this get in the way of a good discussion.
    Yep, that is far and away the best footy show on TV.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO