Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leo and magic

double vodka lemon pls

Leo and magic

So when the screen last night focused in on Magic..I cheered and then I thought...I wonder whats going through his mind and this is what I think

" thank christ I am not out there tonight, I could not keep up with that game"

I reckon after watching last night that both magic and Leo are now officially going to struggle to get back in the team....I have been denying it to myself but both are now too old and not fast enough and I am happy to say we have some freaking awesome replacements...
    you know what they say, dirty pants- clean botty

Quote Originally Posted by woo View Post
    So when the screen last night focused in on Magic..I cheered and then I thought...I wonder whats going through his mind and this is what I think

" thank christ I am not out there tonight, I could not keep up with that game"

I reckon after watching last night that both magic and Leo are now officially going to struggle to get back in the team....I have been denying it to myself but both are now too old and not fast enough and I am happy to say we have some freaking awesome replacements...
    Agree with leo, but not Magic. He was still pretty quick off the mark last season, won't know if he still is until he plays.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Leo I agree with but Magic would have made us even more dangerous last night.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Leo I agree with but Magic would have made us even more dangerous last night.
    I agree about Magic.
    Leo will be interesting to watch: he obviously won't be on the first or second forwards, and his days of minding gorillas are thankfully over, but I suspect that if he gets fit enough to line up with the firsts, he will still be a useful defender. I suspect he might do a better job on say, Milne, than Bevan did. But you wouldn't put him on a Rioli.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veteran Site Admin
    Great as our defence has been defensively - even last week, given the lack of support from the midfield - I think we are missing an offensive element down there at the moment. Against the zones of Hawthorn and St Kilda (and probably other teams) you need someone willing to take them on and run through traffic on the half-back line. Shaw, Mattner and Bolton are all reasonably quick but they like to run in straight lines.

The most obvious presence we're missing in this department is, sadly, Kennelly. But maybe it is something Leo might be able to bring if he gets himself back into the team. I know he's not as quick as he used to be but he does like to take risks. They don't always come off but I think the value of his ducking and weaving over the years has been underestimated.

Magic has a spot for himself.
    Sitting in the forward pocket.
    That's where old forwards are put to pasture.

Leo however, needs to provide run off the back line.
    He may well struggle, but who knows, he might have a bit left yet....
    He played a massive part in that GF win, so I guess he still has some credits.
    I'm happy for him to play until he's got nothing at all left.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Great as our defence has been defensively - even last week, given the lack of support from the midfield - I think we are missing an offensive element down there at the moment. Against the zones of Hawthorn and St Kilda (and probably other teams) you need someone willing to take them on and run through traffic on the half-back line. Shaw, Mattner and Bolton are all reasonably quick but they like to run in straight lines.

The most obvious presence we're missing in this department is, sadly, Kennelly. But maybe it is something Leo might be able to bring if he gets himself back into the team. I know he's not as quick as he used to be but he does like to take risks. They don't always come off but I think the value of his ducking and weaving over the years has been underestimated.
    Go to disagree with you on this post Liz. I said after the game to P46 that we didn't miss Barry one bit as our efficiency with backline clearances last night was very good. Everyone seemed to know what to do and where to go and LRT is breaking from CHB to space whereas Barry normally takes off with the footy from FB. Also don't know what Leo would do under the new rushed behind rule. I can see him panicking no end on the last line. Clearly the backline is playing a different style this year. Leo's ducking and weaving always gives the opposition time to set up the wall and that's why in my opinion is one of the reasons he seems to have no idea what to do at disposal time.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Go to disagree with you on this post Liz. I said after the game to P46 that we didn't miss Barry one bit as our efficiency with backline clearances last night was very good. Everyone seemed to know what to do and where to go and LRT is breaking from CHB to space whereas Barry normally takes off with the footy from FB. Also don't know what Leo would do under the new rushed behind rule. I can see him panicking no end on the last line. Clearly the backline is playing a different style this year. Leo's ducking and weaving always gives the opposition time to set up the wall and that's why in my opinion is one of the reasons he seems to have no idea what to do at disposal time.
    Spot on there Nico. LRT is a superstar and Leo is a slow goose. Now that we're back in the top four race i don't see any use in playing Leo.

Go the Sydney boys!!!

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Go to disagree with you on this post Liz. I said after the game to P46 that we didn't miss Barry one bit as our efficiency with backline clearances last night was very good.

I had my heart in my mouth much of the match, with the otherwise impressive LRT and Bolts playing kick to kick with each other across the goal, especially when they couldn't kick it actually at each other.

Enjoyable - and impressive at times - as last night's win was, there were still times when we struggled mightily to get across the half-back zone. Even when we didn't turn it over, many times were we forced to kick it to a contest barely past the halfway line. Had we not been so dominant at stoppages, it could have come back towards Roughhead and Franklin in the blink of an eye.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Enjoyable - and impressive at times - as last night's win was, there were still times when we struggled mightily to get across the half-back zone. Even when we didn't turn it over, many times were we forced to kick it to a contest barely past the halfway line. Had we not been so dominant at stoppages, it could have come back towards Roughhead and Franklin in the blink of an eye.
    Yep. The commentators also noted that we had trouble with our kick outs too. Kennelly is whats missing, unfortunately. Hopefully Thornton will one day play this role? I do not think many of our other young midfielders are very suitable for half-back, maybe Jack with his pace advantage. Hmm.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleed Red Blood View Post
    Yep. The commentators also noted that we had trouble with our kick outs too. Kennelly is whats missing, unfortunately. Hopefully Thornton will one day play this role? I do not think many of our other young midfielders are very suitable for half-back, maybe Jack with his pace advantage. Hmm.
    Not sure Thornton is the answer to this particular need. He is solid all round player but not overly quick. The one who might be able to create a spot for himself off the half-back flank is Laidlaw - if he can ever get himself fit, that is.

Longer term, Gilchrist and (by sounds of it since none of us have seen him play) Heath seem like HBF types.

Kick ins still a problem, and probably will be all year. Not sure Tadgh could help much - his input in recent years was way down (at the time we thought due to injury, but after he left, he gave insight that perhaps it was not wanting to risk injury that held him back). If LRT can hold even 75% of last night's form, we'll be ok defensively this year. Shaw coming along very nicely and his zip really stood out last night I thought. Apart from one clanger kick, he was pretty sharp and reliable all night.

One blood boiling moment was having their first (in living memory) quick kick in after a point (last quarter I think it was) called back for using the wrong freaking ball ... couldn't believe it. The three blind mice have never been more prominent in games - they over officiate, pay tiggys all the time and then the most blatant frees are ignored or not seen ....

And St Kilda got another dream run against the Crows. Umpies favourites for this year for sure - mid 30's to around 18 I think it was... not that I am bitter or have a long memory or anything! ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast