Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ideas on Making a Sydney/ACT Premier League

On the Rookie List

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Cheese Cake 69 View Post
    *I accept peoples comments about Balmains win/loss records. However i was looking at it more of a marketing point of view and the finacial backing from Drummoyne Leagues Club. However if this were to get of the ground and say Wests were in over Balmain, I'd be more than happy to fight for a spot to play Premier League each week for the feeder club

*Also understand the swans and ws18 wanting their own players together. but this doesnt happen in Adelaide or Perth. There could be an option of both Swans and WS18 having their own team like the Brisbane Lions do.

Its all just banter and dicussion I guess.

Cheese Cake on your Balmain/West point what do you think West Aussie Rules club is I have been to both and i seam to think that West's club has a lot more potential for making the money needed to back such an adventure

On the other hand i do agree with the Swans / West Sydney not having a induvidual team in the comp if you look at SA / WA they seam to have no problem playing with someone one week and then against them the next i think it makes there more aware of the players that they may play with.
    Carn' The Crows

Quote Originally Posted by RPM View Post
    On the other hand i do agree with the Swans / West Sydney not having a induvidual team in the comp if you look at SA / WA they seam to have no problem playing with someone one week and then against them the next i think it makes there more aware of the players that they may play with.
    It also means that if you have 5 inside midfielders in the "seconds" they can all play serious game time at no detriment to the others. Same for multiple ruckmen, key forwards et al. Then there is the bonus of possibly having, for example, your reserve fullback playing on your reserve full-forward, and both tightening their games for the experience.
    10100111001 ;-)

On the Rookie List
    balmain may have the backin of dramoyne leauges club however on the contray clubs such as belconnen in the canberra afl have the backing of such larger clubs that include poker machines and golf courses.

This obviously brings in a lot of profit to the club which will allow larger player budgets these player budgets are something that wont be able to be meet by sydney afl teams.There for i see that will make the competition very un-even this dosent make for good footy.

aka Mr Taxman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunger View Post
    ... A preseason knockout comp between premier div SFL and Canberras top tier teams.
    Could be pre-season, mid-season (akin to FA Cup in soccer) or post season (like Champions League in soccer).

Could also be either the form of club v club or league v league. Endless possibilities that are not too costly or timely.

Swans ressies would appreciate playing against an ACTAFL rep side in July I am sure rather than an u/23 development squad in Feb.

From small acorns grow big trees ...
    See me run a marathon again as a leprechaun?
    Donations

Quote Originally Posted by Norris Lurker View Post
    There's been numerous threads on State leagues before, but it's hard to see how one's ever going to get off the ground. As Boris mentioned, the travel costs would be prohibitive.
    The holy grail of a super league has always escaped fruitition .
    A super league certainly has merit .It would save Canberra and lift the profile of Australian Football in NSW .How can we do this .
    I think it is agreed that Canberra is the nucleus of any new league .
    It is cost prohibitive to add a bunch of SFL teams so any resources would have to go into one extra team at a time .We don't have the luxury of a standout team that once enabled Campbelltown to break new ground .
    So what are the alternatives for adding teams .
    1.Promotion and relegation using the SFL grand finalists .
    2.Building a representitive team from scratch - e.g. a WS side .
    3.Splitting the Swans reserves in two .
    4.Inclusion of border teams - what did happen to Wagga exactly ?

give it to the game

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12