Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Saturday afternoon home games: your thoughts?

I don't care when thay play, Monday morning is OK, as long as it's at the Swans home ground.....THE SCG.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Very little junior sport (no AFL) on the middle weekend of school holidays ... WINNER!

Regular in the Side
    [QUOTE=JF_Bay22_SCG;433911] I do fear however that many people who play sport may not be able to come if we play too many Saturday afternoon games. Hopefully the AFL can orchestrate things with the local footy leagues so that juniors etc etc play early or on a Sunday. The incentive for everyone should always be to get to the game.

The key, as shown this year, is to have the Saturday afternoon games in Sydney in the middle weekend of the April and July school holidays. That weekend is guaranteed not to be an organised junior sporting weekend.
    Last edited by top40; 20th April 2009 at 07:41 AM. Reason: mistake

Quote Originally Posted by JF_Bay22_SCG View Post
    Just a shame that the after-match was not full. When the "Celebrity Head" joke in the MA Noble Stand always is, despite not being 10% as interesting & informative. The club should plug Club Swans & the after-matches there.

JF
    It is a shame that there weren't more people there but some are still a bit reluctant to go to the Cross - especially if they have kids (which is understandable) & the parking station may as well be a toilet its awful- the club itself however is terrific - its just in a lousy location. I would go more often if it wasnt in King Cross.
    sadly I didnt get to the game was at neices 30th b'day afternoon party with about 20 screaming kids - thank God Aussie Ange texted the scores and when I got in the car to leave, turned on the radio and heard the club song - so there was an upside to the afternoon!;-)
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..................
    Chickens drink - but they don't pee!
    AGE IS ONLY IMPORTANT FOR TWO THINGS - WINE & CHEESE!

Regular in the Side
    I enjoyed the Saturday afternoon time slot. It makes it a lot easier to get back to Canberra than games played on a Sunday. A Monday 5am morning motorcycle ride out of Sydney and down the freeway to go to work isn't my idea of fun.

Add me to the "like Saturday afternoon games" vote. Get to the game, have a good time, stroll down the road after and find a pub to meet and hang with other Swans supports for a few beers, then find a place to eat, get home, and sleep in a bit Sunday morning. I hope they schedule more.

I like Saturday days too - gives you Sunday to recover. And unlike Saturday night, it allows you to sit and relax, have dinner etc after you get home.

However, I'll go against the grain here and say that I actually prefer the earlier 1pm start. Have to travel a bit further so by the time we got back from the game on the weekend it was pushing 7pm. Also an earlier start means less of the late afternoon sun that I have to put up with!

177th Senior AFL Match - Round 4, 2009 - Sydney vs Carlton, SCG. This is obviously out of date. I suppose I'll update it once I could be bothered sitting down with the fixture and working it out....
    Des' Weblog

Yep, put me down as liking Sat afternoons.

Somebody should send a link of this thread to the club. Almost to a man, the Sydney based members have given Sat arvo the thumbs up.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

We should play more games at the SCG. Its prob cheaper to operate and the seats are not wasted. Saturday is great as there is usually little rugby league,on and families have the time to watch the games. Of course Demetriou being the **** he is, will prob decide to schedule games that don't help the Swans at all

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Knickers View Post
    I quite like Sunday arvos but yesterday was ok and I went to the aftermatch function for the first time at Club Swans which I wouldn't do if it was Sunday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xie Shan View Post
    I would've gone if I'd known it was on! Not a word in the Swans members' e-mail!
    Saturday arvo is GREAT. Loved every second of it.

Re the after match functions ... note that they will only be held after the Saturday and Sunday AFTERNOON games this year.

This got a big boooooo from me.
    Last edited by AnnieH; 21st April 2009 at 01:22 PM.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I enjoyed the Saturday afternoon time slot. It makes it a lot easier to get back to Canberra than games played on a Sunday. A Monday 5am morning motorcycle ride out of Sydney and down the freeway to go to work isn't my idea of fun.
    The Canberra people who sit in front of me loved it too.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234