Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Divisional Structure - Your early impressions

Buddy
    Some of you blokes need to grow up. Footballers will always gravitate to the best league they are able to play in.

I know South West Sydney, Penrith Nor West etc lose players to premier clubs because players want to play a better standard which is added with a financial inducement.

Guess what?

Pennant Hills, St George, North Shore etc lose just as many players, their BEST players, to the AFL, VFL and even the SANFL & WAFL. Good & Elite players want to play at the best level they can. It is no different to what happens to the division 1 & 2 clubs.

I dont hear the good clubs whinging when blokes go to AFL clubs under these NSW scholarships. 80% wont play a game of AFL but their Sydney clubs realise their place in the food chain and dont waste their time whinging because their best players have moved on to better football. They wish the kids well. Some come back, most dont, it doesnt matter the clubs, just develop whoever is left.

Anyone reading this site would think that some of your clubs had 10 players go to East Coast, Sydney Uni or wherever. The moaning, bleating and sour grapes from some directions is pathetic.

I hate Baulkham Hill as much as anyone but 15 years ago they were in the old SFA struggling but at least they did something to bring them up. Now Sydney Uni is trying something and they to should be congratulated.

Some of the clubs represented on here have been crying the same tune for 20 years but dont do anything out of the ordinary to promote change. The cycle hasnt changed and it wont.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by humphrey bear View Post
    Some of you blokes need to grow up. Footballers will always gravitate to the best league they are able to play in.

I know South West Sydney, Penrith Nor West etc lose players to premier clubs because players want to play a better standard which is added with a financial inducement.

Guess what?

Pennant Hills, St George, North Shore etc lose just as many players, their BEST players, to the AFL, VFL and even the SANFL & WAFL. Good & Elite players want to play at the best level they can. It is no different to what happens to the division 1 & 2 clubs.

I dont hear the good clubs whinging when blokes go to AFL clubs under these NSW scholarships. 80% wont play a game of AFL but their Sydney clubs realise their place in the food chain and dont waste their time whinging because their best players have moved on to better football. They wish the kids well. Some come back, most dont, it doesnt matter the clubs, just develop whoever is left.

Anyone reading this site would think that some of your clubs had 10 players go to East Coast, Sydney Uni or wherever. The moaning, bleating and sour grapes from some directions is pathetic.

I hate Baulkham Hill as much as anyone but 15 years ago they were in the old SFA struggling but at least they did something to bring them up. Now Sydney Uni is trying something and they to should be congratulated.

Some of the clubs represented on here have been crying the same tune for 20 years but dont do anything out of the ordinary to promote change. The cycle hasnt changed and it wont.

Maybe you have missed the point of the thread Humphrey - The thread is about do you think that the new Tiered structure is working? Then Reactive One decided that it isnt obviously working after clubs in the South West Region have played between one and two games and suffered in a couple of cases heavy defeats. He raised the valid point that something needs to be done to address the situation and quickly. Sorry if discussing this is not to you liking. Also a certain AFL club and coach objected to a few things you think should be congratulated on - so its not just us poor peasants in the lower divisions.

As for wishing players well I have done exactly that with both boys we lost to St George this year and have been out to watch them play and play well at that.

Tara,

Slightly off track, but in response to your previous post. The two boys that you mentioned who left Moorebank originally played with St George (I believe).

Can you enlighten us as to the reason they left St George in the first place and why they returned this year (and left Moorebank)?

Warming the Bench

Guess what?

Most Premier Division clubs would be lucky to lose 1-2 players a year to the elite competitions interstate (Pennant Hills are probably a recent exception), so I don't really think your example is valid. Plus, there would be more than that gravitate to Premier clubs from interstate each year. I don't think anyone has a problem with talented over age players trying their luck at a higher level, we've had a number over the last few years and I would wish all of them the best of luck.

I think the issue is more the talented under age kids who you can at least attempt to build a solid senior club around. It's incredibly disheartening when your best kids get picked up year after year by clubs who are situated in regions where they have more than enough natural talent to work with, without pilfering those who have very little already.

I guess the bottom line is whether or not you think the fact that no Premier Division club exists in the major population corridor west of Ashfield isn't a major structural problem for the Sydney AFL. I don't see how this can be denied and whilst the status quo remains, it will never change.

As for your last point, I'm happy to take any advice on board that you think might help, although from the sounds of things "acceptance of our lot" is the way to go.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by The Insider View Post
    Tara,

Slightly off track, but in response to your previous post. The two boys that you mentioned who left Moorebank originally played with St George (I believe).

Can you enlighten us as to the reason they left St George in the first place and why they returned this year (and left Moorebank)?

Both Kids were originally juniors from Liverpool and then Bankstown. As for their reasons yes I know but you would have to ask them.

Guess what?

Nicely said Humphry - for once we will agree on something

Guess what?

Yeah not quite 10, only 7:
    The edge is not the limit, It's just the starting point...

Quote Originally Posted by tara View Post
    I accept what you are saying there and that is why we have been actively working with a number of junior clubs in our area for some time now and yes we have had players involved in coaching. However at the end of the day it means nothing if you cant compete with the inducements on offer from other clubs.
    ... doing things consistently over a period of time will cause change, both positive and negative ... I know your club has embraced the positive philosophies, and will be one that has a bright future.

unfortunately, some senior clubs have ignored their juniors over time ... the outcome for them and their junior comps is now evident to all.

Humphrey is right to a certain extent ... the elite will go where their ambition takes them, and of course you will always have your mercenaries ... but the well run clubs (those that have nurtured the next tier of juniors) will get them back to play with their mates, when reality bites!

... so far as the original question, has changing the names of some competitions done anything ... maybe, maybe not, too soon to tell, not really important, because it does not fix the underlying problem for Sydney AFL, which is and has always been the same challenge...

getting them involved in AFL, and then keeping them involved in AFL.

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawknik View Post
    As I have only played in NSW, honest questions:
    * Are there other leagues in OZ whereby they play a divisional / tiered structure?
    * How long have they been in operation?

Cheers

I grew up in SA playing in amature wich at that time had something like 20 odd divisions (i am talking 15 years ago) and the structure does work well but there are a lot more people around that are willing to help and donate there time to help out, this is about the only issue that will be a problem in NSW, as people when they retired in SA they stayed around the club and helped out here in NSW once they retire most are never seen again unless its some sort of p@@s-up reunion
    Carn' The Crows

Cheers for the reply RPM and very good point. If we take your feedback, then the restructure has a very strong chance of working for the competition of grades but volunteers and staffing then becomes the issue to make Clubs continue. So if we can cover that off over time, then there is a good chance if could be for the betterment of Sydney footy.

Quote Originally Posted by tara View Post
    Wise One we nearly folded three years ago - since that time we have regrouped formed an 18's and now have two senior sides. We will admittedly stuggle this year in D4 but we are more concerned about building numbers in the club this year with a longer term view.

You are happy to make a judgement after one round so be it but maybe we should call you "Reactive One" from now on. For the record I was reasonably happy for our D3 first hit up given there were 13 new players in the side and the scoreline didnt give a true reflection of the game - how about you pass judgement after we play them again on our ground rather than on the postage stamp that they play on.

You have mentioned Tom Young but he isnt the only kid the Campbelltown have lost is it? They arnt the only club losing kids either what about Bankstown Juniors Steve Michaels BOG in SU Challenge cup loss on the weekend of Lewis Cowper why arnt they at a either St George or our club? Maybe the AFL has to add zoning in and enforce it ? Do you think that if this happened teams out west would still be struggling - Im sure Penrith would be far far better off?
    Tara, 4 rounds in and several sides are starting to single out from the rest, there appears to be only 1 or 2 chances in most grades, except for the 1st Div which possibly stretches to 4.
    And the issue still remains in the Sth West area of no wins from 16 games between all 3 clubs excluding CT premier division and whilst you said i was reactive early, i doubt much will change for the rest of the season.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by wise one View Post
    Tara, 4 rounds in and several sides are starting to single out from the rest, there appears to be only 1 or 2 chances in most grades, except for the 1st Div which possibly stretches to 4.
    And the issue still remains in the Sth West area of no wins from 16 games between all 3 clubs excluding CT premier division and whilst you said i was reactive early, i doubt much will change for the rest of the season.
    As for the weekend we were woefull however both of the other games were a different story. On the weekend we had 20 players unavailable for selection through injury, weddings, work etc and it hurt us on the field badly -however we managed to field 18's (won) and two senior sides without any of our under 18's backing up so from a rebuilding point of view Im happy we are heading in the right direction especially considering less than three years ago we had under 30 players on the books.

As for Division three all the four sides in the top four would be in contention Id think and I wouldnt write us off yet either.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast