Thread: Ugly game on the weekend

bloodstainedangels Emerald Hill's Avatar

Ugly game on the weekend

Melbourne newspapers and radio broadcasts today are full of complaints about a shocking game on the weekend. And it wasn't us!! It was the North/Essendon game! The Swans weren't involved and no-one blamed us for it, either! How refreshing! I know we're not the most entertaining team around but I had the impression that everyone thought that all the faults in modern footy were caused by us! It's nice to see someone else copping the flak for a change!
    "Notwithstanding the sight of all our miseries, which press upon us and take us by the throat, we have an instinct which we cannot repress, and which lifts us up." - Pascal

I haven't seen the papers commenting, but it appears that if there isn't a cricket score kicked, then it is an ugly game.

I for one am sick of this type of attitude. I think someone else said on here during the last week, that a close, low scoring hard game used to be admired. But not these days, as the Fat Controller tries to make the game as soft as he was when he played I fear it will only get worse.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

I hate circle work. I can honestly say I enjoy watching our brand of footy more than the loose, soft, run and carry, no kicking to contest, circle work that seems to be the flavour of the month.

As for the rolling zone - what a snore fest - watching playing kick to kick until someone @@@@s up.
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.

Wasnt Essendon crtiticised last year for being too attacking? This type of criticism by people who should consider watching basketball instead of Aussie Rules has become very very boring.
    Occupational hazards:
    I don't eat animals since discovering this ability. I used to. But one day the lamb I was eating came through to me and ever since then I haven't been able to eat meat.
    - animal psychic Amanda de Warren

Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    I haven't seen the papers commenting, but it appears that if there isn't a cricket score kicked, then it is an ugly game.

I for one am sick of this type of attitude. I think someone else said on here during the last week, that a close, low scoring hard game used to be admired. But not these days, as the Fat Controller tries to make the game as soft as he was when he played I fear it will only get worse.
    Generally true, but in the case of the Bombers/Roos game, the badge of stinker sits pretty well - the skill levels were atrocious. It wasn't a low scoring tough contest, it was a low scoring skills free mess!

What bugs me more is the inference (unsurprisingly by the melbourne media mostly), that the game doesn't stack up as well as a spectacle as in the past (70's, 80's etc). What bollocks that is - there have always been stinker games, there will always be stinker games. In the past, however, most people were spared seeing them unless they were at the ground. Apart from the games the media called back then, they only ever got to see highlight reels of the other games, so I guess it is no surprise the old media hacks look back with rose coloured glasses!

I say thank heavens for the odd stinker game, makes the appreciation of a belter even higher I reckon!

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SwansFan1972 View Post
    Generally true, but in the case of the Bombers/Roos game, the badge of stinker sits pretty well - the skill levels were atrocious. It wasn't a low scoring tough contest, it was a low scoring skills free mess!

What bugs me more is the inference (unsurprisingly by the melbourne media mostly), that the game doesn't stack up as well as a spectacle as in the past (70's, 80's etc). What bollocks that is - there have always been stinker games, there will always be stinker games. In the past, however, most people were spared seeing them unless they were at the ground. Apart from the games the media called back then, they only ever got to see highlight reels of the other games, so I guess it is no surprise the old media hacks look back with rose coloured glasses!

I say thank heavens for the odd stinker game, makes the appreciation of a belter even higher I reckon!
    Good post.

I'm glad that it wasn't another Sydney-bashing article.
    I only support one team: The SYDNEY SWANS!!!!!

I love watching our game. You have to concentrate. I guess there is a reason why others don't like it, not able to concentrate.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood