Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brett Kirk - The King of Cool (article)

Drummoyne..INNER WEST BABY!! (Bay 29 SCG)
    snajik you gun! That was a brilliant read! Thanks alot! Go Kirky!!
    Official Driver Of The "Who Gives A @@@@ As The Player Will Get Delisted Anyway" Bandwagon.

Top article.

The kind of column I'd love to read in the mainstream press.

Congrats Kirky. An absolute champion of not just the club, but the game.

Great story - thank you
    CHER - Who has two types of blood cells "RED ones and WHITE ones"

Senior Player
    I just wanted to say thanks to all for the positive feedback. It?s good to see that we can all unite in celebration of this great man and his fine achievements. I suspect the subject matter may have played a part in the favourable responses. I?ll send a few PMs out to those who wished to explore various tangents. Hope that?s ok.

I?ll no doubt write something again one day but at the moment my life feels like the Bwindi Impenetrable Forest. Time, time, time is not on my side (no it ain?t). Possibly a piece to coincide with Kirky?s 300th. Should give me around 4 and a half years of planning time.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

This is simply a beautiful read,

Brett Kirk is definently all the, And the inspiration he creates cannot be put into words but this was definently close.

Top effort.
    Brett Kirk; Heart and Soul of Sydney.
    Respected, Admired, Feared

Sir Ashmole Gruntbucket hot potato's Avatar
    That's just made my day, and uplifted my spirits, a fine tribute to an extraordinary Blood. He may well make a very good football coach.

Well documented, and a top idea for Roosey to read it to the players on Sat, or Fri night.

HP
    "He was proud of us when we won and he was still proud of us when we lost' Tami Roos about Paul Sept 06.

On the Rookie List
    A superbly constructed piece on my favourite player in the AFL.

Most of it seemed to have read my mind for the past decade.

I was really bouyed by some words from Joel Selwood (my favourite Cat) who idolised the courage of Paul Kelly and then immediately afterwards, transfer that very strong admiration to love Brett Kirk for all the same reasons.

A proud club Geelong with many warriors and genuine stars and, for all that deep parochial tendancies, his idols are the 2 greatest Swans in my memory.

The bravery at the contest as well as the bravery to lead. The conviction to improve on the impressive and the iron-man way they avoid complacency. Always humble and in it up to their necks for team and code.
    The Pain of Discipline is Nothing Like The Pain of Disappointment

I know I am just sounding like a broken record on this thread now but that is an awesome article mate. An absolutely fitting piece of prose for an underrated legend of the club. I had to fill out one of those 'who am I' surveys at work the other day and Kirk was inked in very early as a person I most admire...sure he hasn't solved world poverty or cured cancer, but I just love what he does. He gets the most out of himself. If everyone were like this bloke, I think it would go a long way to solving some of the world's biggest issues!!! Congrats Kirky - you are a true champ!
    Go you mighty BLOODBOYS!

Quote Originally Posted by snajik View Post
    I just wanted to say thanks to all for the positive feedback. It?s good to see that we can all unite in celebration of this great man and his fine achievements. I suspect the subject matter may have played a part in the favourable responses. I?ll send a few PMs out to those who wished to explore various tangents. Hope that?s ok.

I?ll no doubt write something again one day but at the moment my life feels like the Bwindi Impenetrable Forest. Time, time, time is not on my side (no it ain?t). Possibly a piece to coincide with Kirky?s 300th. Should give me around 4 and a half years of planning time.

I joined RWO today, just to say great post...

On the Rookie List Darren Thomson's Avatar
    Magnificent and all true. Should be wearing No 14

Paul Roos for PM

The morning of Brett's 150th game I was lucky enough to have a special "close encounter".

We were waiting for the lift at the Holiday Inn in our Swans clobber (heading for the game) when a family (mum, kids and grandparents) came along with a little kid in a Swans jumper. In the lift we noticed the number 31 on the back. We asked him if he knew who 31 was. The kid looked a bit sheepish till Mum said "He should - it's his Dad!" Then we noticed the twins in their carry cots (Granddad doing the honours - not Brett's father obviously - two arms).

The jumper was brand new and he was going to run on the ground for the first time with Dad.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by j s View Post
    The morning of Brett's 150th game I was lucky enough to have a special "close encounter".

We were waiting for the lift at the Holiday Inn in our Swans clobber (heading for the game) when a family (mum, kids and grandparents) came along with a little kid in a Swans jumper. In the lift we noticed the number 31 on the back. We asked him if he knew who 31 was. The kid looked a bit sheepish till Mum said "He should - it's his Dad!" Then we noticed the twins in their carry cots (Granddad doing the honours - not Brett's father obviously - two arms).

The jumper was brand new and he was going to run on the ground for the first time with Dad.
    Nice story. However before these Chinese whispers become an urban myth I'm fairly certain that Brett's Dad was missing a hand and not an arm, apparently lost in a farming machinery accident as a child. A courageous half-back flanker from all accounts.

Let's hope we get to see Kirk the Younger running around in his Dad's #31 in years to come courtesy of the father / son rule.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast