Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brett Kirk - The King of Cool (article)

Senior Player

Brett Kirk - The King of Cool (article)

BRETT KIRK ? THE KING OF COOL

It's time to open up that creaky cabinet door and blow the dust from those long neglected stacks of irregularly labelled VHS tapes. We're heading back to 2002; Round 22 at the Olympic Stadium to be precise.
    Paul Kelly had recently announced his retirement and before the players entered the field to wallop the Tigers and send Kel out a winner, Kel and Brett Kirk could be seen in the players' race up close and personal revving each other up in a pre-match display of competitive intensity.

In hindsight this microcosmic episode reminded me (in want of a less macabre analogy) of those mythical tales of cannibalistic tribes who would for example consume the feet of their most gifted runner upon their death in the hope of inheriting their speed. Not that I'm suggesting that dining on human flesh is de rigueur down on Driver Avenue, but it was almost as though Kel's self-belief, skills, attributes and relentless passion for the team was transferred to Kirky the chosen one that night to become the new torch bearer of the Swans spirit. Although Sydney won well in this final round of 2002, both Kel and Kirky had minimal influence on the outcome. Kel was kept quiet by Duncan Kellaway and Kirky's tagging role on Mark Coughlan was unable to completely quell his impact. This game coincided with an overt outpouring of support for Paul Roos from supporters and players alike and would ultimately be influential in landing the then caretaker coach permanent tenure. The appointment of Roos would be instrumental in salvaging Kirk's desultory career.

I've always taken a shine to players that punch above their weight. I'm more inclined to follow a player's career more avidly should they excel without being blessed with flair, poise or innate wizardry. I can certainly admire players such as James Hird, Peter Matera or Chris Judd but it's those awkward seemingly ungifted players like Rod Carter, Wayne Henwood, Andrew Dunkley and Paul Kelly that have their limitations but can guts it out on a consistent basis that get me excited about football. Footy isn't about glamour and entertainment, it's more about determination, team spirit and soul. Brett Kirk fits within this category like a pencil in a stencil. An RWO thread in early 2003 asked who your new favourite player would be now that cult hero, club champion and legend Paul Kelly had retired. Kel was one of my primary reasons for attending the football and he had been my fave Swan for the previous decade but I had no hesitation in nominating Kirky. I had a suspicion that something special could be moulded from this rough diamond.

Earlier in season 2002 the wheels were falling off for the Bloods. They had lost a raft of close games; snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. They played out a lamentable draw against what was ostensibly St Kilda's reserve grade side in a match that resembled an ugly game of chess, accommodated Plugger's ill-advised return to the big time and dodged rumours of bad blood between the board and coach Rodney Eade. By Round 12 both Eade and Plugger had left and veteran Wayne Schwass would retire simultaneously, with the future retirements of Kelly and Dunkley imminent.

Some players strike a rapport with their coach but this didn't appear to be the case with Kirk under Eade. This is not uncommon. For example both Troy Luff and Peter Caven flourished under Eade and Malcolm Blight respectively after struggling to earn Barassi's respect. It happens. Eade allegedly advised Kirky and Daniel McPherson that it was unlikely that their services would be required beyond 2002 and they shouldn't expect to receive regular game time for the remainder of the season. Sadly for Frosty this prediction would ring true. He would add a further eight games to a solid and serviceable career. Not so for Kirk who would team up with Roos following Eade's departure to become a critical member of the Swans team. From Round 15 2002 he would embark on an unbroken run of 159 games (and counting) eventually leading the way for most consecutive games in the competition for a current player. The influence of Stuart Maxfield should not be overlooked within this period of turbulence. Maxfield, who had become a mentor to Kirk, was influential in persuading Roos to persist with him, and the two developed a strong bond.

Eade later conceded that he had underestimated Kirk's abilities and believed that at the time there wasn't room for Kirk in a stellar midfield that included Kelly, Cresswell, Williams, Schwass and Maxfield. Kirk admitted that he probably didn't have the confidence to approach Eade with suggestions as to how he could reshape his role. It's difficult to imagine Kirk lacking confidence in any situation, particularly in a contemporaneous context where his seemingly innate leadership qualities often find him in the thick of the action directing, encouraging and advising his team mates.

The tail of 2002 allowed Kirk to put his hand up and prove his worth to Roos or whoever the new coach might be. For the second time in three years the Bloods missed the finals however Roos was successful in securing the position of coach and a new era was about to begin. Pundits sounded the death knell for the 2003 Swans with a number of 'experts' tipping them for the spoon. With an inexperienced coach and the departure of a number of veterans it was expected to be a long season.

It was 2003 when Roos decided to persist with Kirky in a tagging role. His role in the team had probably been unclear to this point but being reinvented as a run-with player helped Kirk to not only cement his place in the side, but to excel in this role to such an extent that by season's end he was widely considered to be the best in the league. Each week Roos would hand him a difficult assignment, and each week Kirk's opponent would be neutralised. This was the breakout year that culminated in finishing runner-up to Goodes for the Best and Fairest and a Preliminary Final appearance for the Swans who would ultimately finish third.

Kirk's game would continue to develop. Whereas previously his opponent would notch single digit possessions, his possession count would be similar. Soon he was racking up possessions in his enhanced role as an inside midfielder while still nullifying his opponent. His handball skills were now reminiscent of Greg Williams, and his tackling was fearsome. He quickly earned the reputation as one of the league's best in this department. The hearts of opponents would sink when they found Brett Kirk lining up on them, yet at the same time would have felt a degree of flattery that the Swans regarded them so highly.

Kirk's kicking, or more accurately his kicking style, often comes under scrutiny. While it looks ungainly and awkward, it's mainly effective. It should be noted that many of his possessions come from congested clearances where time allowed for decision making is minimal. He often relies on instinct. One aspect of his game that I would have liked to see go further is his goalkicking. Not only because this has increasingly become another arrow in the midfielder's quiver, but Kirky's post-goal celebrations are so infectious. The enjoyment he gets from slotting a goal has such team-lifting potential.

In 2005 Kirk's sustained improvement was rewarded when (along with Hall, Barry, J Bolton, Goodes and Mathews) he was appointed as co-captain following the early season retirement of Stuart Maxfield. He is the sole remaining co-captain from this leadership group that has held the position continuously. Within a few short years Kirk had become a pivotal player in the Swans side and the role of captain was a natural progression. He is not only an inspirational leader (as Kelly was) whose deeds on the field attract a sense of awe, but also a fine communicator and strategist who can quickly assess a situation on the field and provide the necessary advice, instruction or encouragement. In 2005 when Nick Davis allowed his Geelong opponent to wander downfield to pinch a last quarter semi-final goal Kirky allegedly informed Davo that it wasn't good enough. Davo immediately responded with four of the finest goals you will ever see, and a potentially wasted season instead became a premiership triumph.

Paul Roos has led the Swans to the finals in every season since being appointed head coach; the most successful period in Swans history. Brett Kirk has been a constant feature of this era. The difference between this period and other relative periods of recent success (such as 1986 / 87 and the late 1990s) is the formation or the re-emergence of the Bloods culture in which Kirk played a crucial part. Not only did the resurrection of the Bloods culture recognise the club's rich history and imbue the club with a soul, but it effectively went a long way toward healing any lingering wounds caused by the relocation. It was also reflected on the field through team performances that relied on intensity, pressure, relentlessness, and a will to win that putting one's body on the line for the club. Kirk as the spiritual leader was the embodiment of this philosophy with weekly performances that primarily encompassed physical carnage. It was no coincidence that the Bloods would go on to play in consecutive Grand Finals and that bicycle helmets would become a fashion accessory. The 2005 Grand Final victory was a fitting reward.

On an individual level there isn't much that Kirky hasn't achieved. He's not the type of player known for winning Brownlows yet he invariably polls well, and has racked up 69 votes across his career to date. He is in his 5th year of captaincy in a successful side, been selected in the All-Australian side, has won a Grand Final and two Bob Skilton Medals for Best and Fairest. In fact in the six full seasons that Roos has coached the side Kirk has finished either first or second in the B & F count validating his amazing level of consistency. I find it amusing that fans will draw your attention to any below average performance from Kirk, almost as if there is now an expectation for him to play brilliantly each time he takes the field.

The public persona of Brett Kirk the man, while incomplete and edited, is nonetheless easy to relate to. It helps to have a captain that is both articulate and intelligent, that has interests and philosophies that venture beyond football. Brad Seymour was once quoted as saying that Brett Kirk was the most intelligent person he'd ever met. From a personal perspective my admiration of Kirky was possibly enhanced when I learned of his connection with Buddhism. Having Buddhist leanings of my own I thought this to be pretty impressive as was his involvement with the Dalai Lama's visit last year. (Still keen to see a photo of the Dalai wearing the signed jumper that Kirky presented him with). Along the way I've noticed occasional commonalities. We both agree that the inner west of Sydney is the heart and soul of the city, we are both fathers of twin daughters, and then there's that irresistible sideburn thing. I've made a number of mental notes to unfurl the yoga mat again; so far I'm only there in spirit.

I can also thank Kirky for semi-converting my previously sport-detesting partner into someone who will now accompany me to the occasional game. In her circle of friends he is referred to as the thinking woman's sex symbol, and while she may not pore over statistics and match reports and is disinclined to absorb all of the game's nuances, it's always nice to have her along.

While I believe that I was one of the first to recognise Kirky's cult hero potential it wasn't long before pockets of spectators began to twig. Suddenly ripples of excitement would emanate when he touched the ball or laid a tackle. Affectionate nicknames such as 'Hippy', 'The Captain' (pre-captaincy), 'The Kirkster' and 'Ringo' were created by the converted. Banners were created in his honour. The most accurate of these read 'Brett Kirk - Toughest Man Alive'. Tiger Power might argue with that http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3394045.stm but who can forget his response to the ferocious Byron Pickett shirtfront in the 2003 Qualifying Final? Or how he got his head stitched up during the 2005 Preliminary Final sans anaesthetic and played out the remainder of the game? Or how he casually strolled back to the boundary line after being KO'ed by an errant Richmond boot at the SCG a couple of seasons back?

The king of cool had arrived. A new kind of cool. No need for arrogance or a contrived swagger. This was a cool that was measured, calm, clinical and concise. At a B & F acceptance speech Kirky paid homage to Stuart Maxfield by saying 'Thanks Stuart, I love you mate' or words to that effect. It isn't too often that you hear footballers talking in this manner, but somehow Kirky gets away with it, because you know when he says it, it's with conviction and sincerity.

I was in the crowd for Brett Kirk's debut back in 1999. It was my sole experience of the O'Reilly Concourse. It was a fine debut. Kirky kicked three goals and got a heap of the ball. Unfortunately we were defeated by the evil Roos that night. This weekend he fronts up for his 200th and as mentioned previously his 159th game in succession. I won't be able to make it to the world's most isolated city for this auspicious occasion but I hope that he has a ripper and that the team lifts accordingly and come home with a win. There wouldn't be too many followers of the game (myself included) that would have predicted that Brett would have reached this milestone. He is now in the all-time top ten for games played with Sydney - South Melbourne.

At the time of his retirement I never thought that the feats of Paul Kelly could ever be equalled. I realise that it would be contentious to suggest it, but I think that that day has now arrived. These assessments of course are always subjective. Others may mount an equally convincing case for the careers of O'Loughlin, Goodes or Lockett. Though I would contend that if Kirk hasn't as yet equalled the deeds of the revered Paul Kelly, then by the end of his career this benchmark would have been achieved if not surpassed. Further, I think that I'd only be mildly surprised to see Kirky still running around in the #31 as a 40-year-old, such is his durability.

I think what places Kirk in the elite class is not only his high level of consistency but his ability to deliver in big games and dominate when the game is there to be won. Ironically I think that his best game was in a match that we lost but possibly should have won, the 2006 Grand Final. In the first half we looked inept, imprecise and all at sea before Kirk (ably assisted by Richards, Goodes and Davis) wrested momentum back from the rampaging Eagles. We went within a whisker of back to back flags thanks to this 'never give in' attitude and Kirky was at the game's end by all accounts completely spent.

So 200 games it is. A remarkable achievement. I can't see the side letting this one slip irrespective of the shellacking that the Dockers will receive this week from the parochial WA press. 200 is a fine number but I sense that there is still a whole lot more to come. By the tail end of 2010 will eclipse the games tally of the great Paul Kelly himself (assuming that he continues to avoid injury, but we're talking about a guy whose body is dismissive of even the suggestion of injury. Paul Roos refers to it as 'pain immunity'). By the end of 2010 however Kirky will be 33 and soon to turn 34. No doubt ill-informed southern journalists will have him inked in for retirement because in a normative sense footballers don't last into their mid-30s. There is an acquiescent expectation to quit. We're not dealing with an ordinary footballer here though. This is Brett Kirk - the heart and soul of the Bloods. You'd reckon quitting just wouldn't be an option for a bloke that just keeps going and going and going again.
    Last edited by ScottH; 21st April 2009 at 10:41 PM.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Beautiful!
    What a wonderful tribute to Kirky. Thanks snajik.
    Namaste Kirky for everything.
    I'm really disappointed that I won't be there to watch this milestone.

Regular in the Side
    That my friend, is simply beautiful and a most fitting tribute. I hope Brett gets to read it.
    Patterns emerge, but do they mean anything? No.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Fantastic article, I really enjoyed reading that. Thanks snajik.

Best of luck to Kirky on his 200th.

I love it Snajik - nicely put

Here's to The Captain, and hoping he cleans them up in Perth.

177th Senior AFL Match - Round 4, 2009 - Sydney vs Carlton, SCG. This is obviously out of date. I suppose I'll update it once I could be bothered sitting down with the fixture and working it out....
    Des' Weblog

Excellent article!

Regular in the Side
    Snajik, that is a wonderfully written and well thought-out tribute to Kirky.

I'd just finished yoga when I read it (I really relate to Brett's philosphy on life).

I know a couple of his close friends and they say he's the nicest and most humble guy you could ever meet. But as we know, he's also tough, intelligent, driven and the spirit that embodies our team.

Thanks again - it's a pleasure to read such a positive piece.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Fantastic, snajik; a fine piece of work that eloquently states what we value in this man. Thank you (and by hell we'd better win against Freo!)
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Happy and I know it
    What a beautifully heart-felt tribute to an outstanding player who embodies our team. I hope Brett gets to read it.

Mate, that was fantastic, well done. Is there any way of getting Paul Roos to read that prior to the game in the changerooms to the boys? If that happened, you could gaurantee victory.

Brilliant.

Well done
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Blog Entries
    Spinetingling stuff! Well done Snajik - Thanks!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast