Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: RWO widely held beliefs

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    Not to be too harsh on you connolly, I appreciate you are clearly a senile old man who thinks he's found something delightful to harp on, but is this perhaps a case of you rewriting history regarding Davo yet again? I direct you to 2:06 of the clip below; I could be mistaken, but I'm fairly certain that Davo never has an opportunity to fail to bend his back and pick up the ball as it never got past Buchanan and Davo was one man on from him.
    Footy is about opinions. I have had a look at the clip and its worse than my hazy memory here at the nursing home. Davo actually ran away from the ball and the goals. Now he had two options (your suggestion that he ran a decoy is inventive). One was to shepherd which he didn't do and the other was to move into the pack. He did neither and as I said thank christ for Buchanon. The point i am making is that our recollections are coloured by bias and when things occur in the game. Three other points - the tape shows just how much we owed Ball for the premiership. His ruck work in the finals series particularly on the forward was a big factor in the win against Geelong and in the GF. And how much we owe Buchanon for the GF win. Not only did he in the clip attack the ball under enormous pressure in a grand final and kick the winning goal but he played a blinder. I can forgive him a lot in his recent drop off in form and it would be decent if people tempered the calls for his dumping with at least an acknowledgement of what he did on that day. And finally the Bevanator (another unsung hero of the 05 finals campaign) lays a ferocious tackle on the recovering victim with medicinal problems at 13 seconds if i'm not mistaken. A little high but he nailed him. Worth a look just for that. Thanks.
    Bevo bandwagon driver

Quote Originally Posted by 31 hard at it View Post
    I was sitting directly in front of that masive play in the GF.
    If was a carbon copy of the Ball to Davo tap in the Semi (and again Jolly to McVeigh 2 weeks ago).
    The players set up and Davo ran wide (I think as a decoy because all West Coast players had watched that Semi and were watching him).
    Bucky ran through the lne and bent it around.

The play was clearly a well practiced one and it is amazing that West Coast did not cover it after the Semi Final play was so well publicised.

Both Davo and Bucky did exactly what they trained for in that play and for that they get my eternal thanks and congratulations.
    Decoy. You don't run decoys in Grand Finals in front of goal. You go in and get it or help your team mate. Davo ran wide alright when we needed players to run straight at the ball. As i said thank goodness Buchanon was there and ran at the ball. We now officially have another Davo myth. He ran a decoy in the last quarter of the Grand Final! The truth is he went mything in action.
    Bevo bandwagon driver

Excellent stuff. The Zapruda tape didn't get this much scrutiny.

Did Davo act alone? Was there a magic football? Is it a coincidence that Playfair lost the tap and ended up at the Swans?
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Suspended by the MRP reigning premier's Avatar
    Is that the truth?? Or did you read it in the Telegraph?
    Quote Originally Posted by connolly View Post
    Footy is about opinions. I have had a look at the clip and its worse than my hazy memory here at the nursing home. Davo actually ran away from the ball and the goals. Now he had two options (your suggestion that he ran a decoy is inventive). One was to shepherd which he didn't do and the other was to move into the pack. He did neither and as I said thank christ for Buchanon. The point i am making is that our recollections are coloured by bias and when things occur in the game. Three other points - the tape shows just how much we owed Ball for the premiership. His ruck work in the finals series particularly on the forward was a big factor in the win against Geelong and in the GF. And how much we owe Buchanon for the GF win. Not only did he in the clip attack the ball under enormous pressure in a grand final and kick the winning goal but he played a blinder. I can forgive him a lot in his recent drop off in form and it would be decent if people tempered the calls for his dumping with at least an acknowledgement of what he did on that day. And finally the Bevanator (another unsung hero of the 05 finals campaign) lays a ferocious tackle on the recovering victim with medicinal problems at 13 seconds if i'm not mistaken. A little high but he nailed him. Worth a look just for that. Thanks.

Blah blah blah........

So we could of won 05 without Davis but not without Ball and Buchanan.... right... gotcha...

The thing I take from that clip is how heavily Davo is featured, yet little Bevan (as you point out his only contribution to the clip is giving away a free). I am reminded of Leigh Matthews great words as Bevo accepted his premiership Medal - "Did he deserve it?"
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    The thing I take from that clip is how heavily Davo is featured, yet little Bevan (as you point out his only contribution to the clip is giving away a free). I am reminded of Leigh Matthews great words as Bevo accepted his premiership Medal - "Did he deserve it?"
    The stats of the 05 Grand Final are instructive. Ablett got three kicks (one of which went straight to the party boy dead in front in the last quarter), the greatest Bloods forward since Bob Pratt collected four kicks, four handpasses (all hot potatoes) laid one tackle and kicked absolutely nothing through the sticks. Decoy Davo was on the paddock for most of the Grand Final.Apparently he was running decoys on that afternoon. Unfortunately there is no stat data base that collects the stats on decoys. But if his job in the GF was to run decoys on the outside of the pack he did brilliantly. Best decoy game played in a Grand Final. The Bevantor as the youngest player on the squad and with limited game time had four kicks (same as the Decoy king) three handpasses and laid two (crunching) tackles. He played mainly in the third quarter as a defensive midfielder and put enormous pressure on the Eagle who collapsed in Las Vegas in the 06 post premiership celebrations (not implying anything there mind you) So take your pick. If Bevo didn't deserve his medal did the Decoy? By the way Dempster had six possessions for the match. We also forget that Fossie had 26. Mathews - the luckiest coach in the history of the game is a convicted criminal for one of the most cowardly acts on a football field. No credibility and his asinine comment against a kid who played his heart out in a grand final and contributed to a great win was another low act.
    Bevo bandwagon driver

Quote Originally Posted by reigning premier View Post
    Blah blah blah........

So we could of won 05 without Davis but not without Ball and Buchanan.... right... gotcha...
    If you are talking about the Grand Final the stats indicate that Davo had little influence at the ball. Off the ball on the outside of the packs apparently he played a blinder.
    Bevo bandwagon driver

And how much we owe Buchanon for the GF win.

Grand final credits have all run out.

Darl, I'm sure we voted and the majority said that we owed Leo Barry for the GF win.

Apparently he was running decoys on that afternoon.
    Decoys???? WTF????
    Playing "decoy" IMO means "not getting in there and trying to do something with the ball".

Is that what you mean?
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post

Grand final credits have all run out.

Darl, I'm sure we voted and the majority said that we owed Leo Barry for the GF win.

Decoys???? WTF????
    Playing "decoy" IMO means "not getting in there and trying to do something with the ball".

Is that what you mean?
    Indeed
    Bevo bandwagon driver

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If you are talking about the Grand Final the stats indicate that Davo had little influence at the ball.
    the Bevanator (another unsung hero of the 05 finals campaign)
    Davo in the 2005 GF: 9 disposals, 1 tackle
    Bevo's 2005 finals average: 4 disposals, 3 tackles

So one is quiet and the other a hero? That's a lot of value to put on tackles, you aren't the original designer of fanfooty are you?
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Suspended by the MRP reigning premier's Avatar
    Is that the truth?? Or did you read it in the Telegraph?
    Aren't tackles just an indication of how often you're opponent is running away from you carrying the ball?

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    Davo in the 2005 GF: 9 disposals, 1 tackle
    Bevo's 2005 finals average: 4 disposals, 3 tackles

So one is quiet and the other a hero? That's a lot of value to put on tackles, you aren't the original designer of fanfooty are you?
    Davo had precisely three more handpasses than the kid and was on the paddock for twice the time. Bevo's tackles were crunchers in the hot spots. The closest Davo got to a hot spot was the shower he had after the game. Still his fifteen minutes of fame helped get us there. His GF game was shall we say subdued.
    Bevo bandwagon driver

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast