Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Why no Indigenous recruits??

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Maybe the swans scouts should go up north and pick up some untapped talent from Darwin. The AFL is stoopid for picking the Blacktown Bogans over a team from Darwin. They don't even have to physically go ... they can watch games on NITV.

With Goodesy and MickyO doing some mentoring (while they still can) ... who knows what sort of star will emerge in the future.

If they're putting their hands up ... the club should do something.

Maybe by saying what they said they are telegraphing the clubs intentions.

Also it doesn't mean they have to be playing to mentor a player.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Maybe by saying what they said they are telegraphing the clubs intentions.

Also it doesn't mean they have to be playing to mentor a player.
    Bingo - exactly what I was thinking.

I love the x-factor that MOL, Goodes and some of the other indigenous players bring to the game. I'm not sure that a premiership winning team needs some x-factor if they are sufficiently classy in the regular skills department but it makes a game much more enjoyable to watch.

I have noticed a lot more evasion tricks this year from LRT, Mattner and others. Better fakes or exploiting the momentum of the opposition to get past them - maybe MOL has opened up his box of tricks a little already.
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    Sorry, as I read it, that is exactly what you implied.
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    What I have said, is that our recruiters should take a punt on some Indigenous kids, just like they do with others.
    See the words "take a punt" indicate that you advocate taking a risk.
    Drafting the most suitable and desirable player when the selection comes up is not risky, it is simply picking who they see as the best player available.
    You want them to select another player, and indigenous player, rather then the best player available at the selection time.
    This is clearly a player which the club would rate is inferior to the clubs requirements.

For the record, I couldn't really give a toss if the club decided to recruit an indigenous player for the sake of his purported skill set.
    As we all know, it's one big lottery in the end.
    The first picks sometimes go crap and the later picks sometimes star.
    Just don't think it will happen.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Racism...give it a break. If you can't see the benefit for a young Indigenous player to be guided and mentored by one of his own, then you don't understand the obvious deep connection that Indigenous people of this country feel for eachother.
    Firstly, you are right.
    I cannot understand the deep connection that indigenous people feel for each other.
    Partly because I am not one, and partly because the government couldn't be bothered caring enough to educate me and our youth etc adequately.
    If a while player were to come out and say that he wished to mentor only a white player, he would be hung drawn and quartered.
    As stated previously though, I misquoted when saying that the two in question only wanted to mentor an indigenous player.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Suspended by the MRP reigning premier's Avatar
    Is that the truth?? Or did you read it in the Telegraph?
    The other reasons I wrote were to do with the swans need for players with speed, skill and awareness, which an extremely high percentage of indigenous players possess as their skill set. And the fact that our drafting history over the last 5 years has produced very few players with this skill set. So assuming the draft is a punt, why not have a punt on some indigenous kids who may help balance our disiplined, hardnosed, conservative style with some more pace, skill and unpredictability. Having said that, having Mick and Goodsey to mentor is a very important resource in making such punts more likely to succeed.
    Sounds like a typical stereo-typing racist comment to me.

Blog Entries
    I got a slap on the wrist for starting a thread like this once. I think the "R" word was used then. Apparently I implied that the Swans recruitment strategy has been racist - that hard work over talent may have excluded blackfellas from getting a look in, based on prejudice and the notion that an Aboriginal wont give it 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by ROK Lobster View Post
    I got a slap on the wrist for starting a thread like this once. I think the "R" word was used then. Apparently I implied that the Swans recruitment strategy has been racist - that hard work over talent may have excluded blackfellas from getting a look in, based on prejudice and the notion that an Aboriginal wont give it 100%.
    "ROK Lobster" was the R word?

As in "ROK... You tool"....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reigning premier View Post
    "ROK Lobster" was the R word?

As in "ROK... You tool"....
    Perhaps the R word is Report - for personal abuse. Expect a holiday RP!

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    See the words "take a punt" indicate that you advocate taking a risk.
    Drafting the most suitable and desirable player when the selection comes up is not risky, it is simply picking who they see as the best player available.

As we all know, it's one big lottery in the end.
    The first picks sometimes go crap and the later picks sometimes star.
    You just don't get it, or don't want to get it. Yes I do advocate taking a risk, as you say yourself, "it's a big lottery". Whether a player is white, yellow, brown, green or black makes no difference, it's still a punt. ie The recruiters obviously don't know which players are going to be successful, if they did we'd have a team of champions with no duds. So why not take a punt on a few fast and skillful Indigenous boys to add to the mix?..Particually when we have two of the very best Indigenous players to of played AFL on our list, who are keen to help them.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    Firstly, you are right.
    I cannot understand the deep connection that indigenous people feel for each other.
    Partly because I am not one, and partly because the government couldn't be bothered caring enough to educate me and our youth etc adequately.
    So it's the governments fault...yeah right.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

You just don't get it, or don't want to get it. Yes I do advocate taking a risk, as you say yourself, "it's a big lottery". Whether a player is white, yellow, brown, green or black makes no difference, it's still a punt. ie The recruiters obviously don't know which players are going to be successful, if they did we'd have a team of champions with no duds. So why not take a punt on a few fast and skillful Indigenous boys to add to the mix?..Particually when we have two of the very best Indigenous players to of played AFL on our list, who are keen to help them.
    Then why start a thread titled "Why no indigenous recruits??" when surely a title like "Why haven't we been more adventurous in our recruiting??" would of been more appropriate??

Quote Originally Posted by ROK Lobster View Post
    Perhaps the R word is Report - for personal abuse. Expect a holiday RP!
    Sounds tempting.... Tahiti or the Caribbean??

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast