Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bottom 2 teams in Sydney AFL Div.1 relegated?

Quote Originally Posted by No Idea View Post
    I do agree with you on leaving Premier Division alone and promote the two clubs that are performing well in UTS and Manly.

By leaving the comp as is may not have helped Campbelltown and Balmain 2's on the scoreboard each week, but it keeps the clubs playing list together on game day. Some day in the future these two clubs will be strong in these grades. What goes around comes around.

Another issue arises when say the two mentioned clubs try to keep under 18's who finish at that level and are fringe first graders. I'm sure these players would prefer to play at a club with first grade playing on the same day at the same ground as the magoos. Anyway enough dribble for now, I just realised I have No Idea!!!
    I agree that this would have been the best option. Everyone keeps saying they would compete so put them in and let them. There reserves would also be strong enough to be competitive, have a 12 team comp and stay with a premier and challenge cup for the 18s and grade the rest of the sides in 3 divisions with promotion/relegation based on performance and i think it would be easier on the clubs that have to split and games would still be more even as you wouldnt have the Bats and Manly flogging the likes of Norwest,camden etc(Sorry Pekay)
    Last edited by Pace To Burn; 3rd June 2009 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Apology
    The edge is not the limit, It's just the starting point...

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by No Idea View Post
    I heard a whisper that the league have decided that the bottom two teams in Sydney Div 1 may now be relegated instead of the bottom team as stipulated at the start of the season. As it stands that means both St George and Wests could be on the way out. A shame really when both sides have history on their side and may be going through a bad patch.

For the past decade or so St George magoos have been at the top of the table or there abouts in reserves.
    You are kidding right - 4 years ago I was missing games at Sutho's two's and getting day clearances to play for St George... Manly and UTS have shown the arrogant Premier Div sides that they are not as advanced as they would like to think so and no bottom ranked side at any Sydney club will be overly competitive in that Div one comp.

The top 5 sides in last years SFA would have beaten most premier Div sides reserves (if not all) - Clubs with depth Like the Uni's and Penno etc will be the ones to dominate with several higher grade teams in the near future.

The outer suburbs will struggle to be as competitive as those teams fielding 4 and 5 sides.
    Carn the Southern Power.....

Quote Originally Posted by cartman48 View Post
    The top 5 sides in last years SFA would have beaten most premier Div sides reserves (if not all) - Clubs with depth Like the Uni's and Penno etc will be the ones to dominate with several higher grade teams in the near future.

The outer suburbs will struggle to be as competitive as those teams fielding 4 and 5 sides.
    You are kidding me right? I think you are still bitter about playing 2's then being traded out the door each week. Anyway I'll move on, it is people like you that has placed such importance on beating a premier league reserve grade side. My arguement is not one of arrogance stating you CAN'T beat a premier league reserves side, but how it is unfair on those teams in premier league to be splitting their club up every 3 - 4 weeks. As you have mentioned in your single mindness to dribble rubbish about the ultimate in beating reserve grade teams, both Manly and UTS would be very formidable in Premier Division. My point, and it seems similar to those expressed by others is that relegation and promotion should be based on first grade, not second grade. I believe the league should promote UTS and Manly along with their reserves, make premier league 12 teams with the same teams in division 1 and the rest fighting it out in what ever league they wish to choose. Apart from UTS and Manly no other team in the lower division could compete in first grade of the Premier Division, including your Sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by cartman48 View Post
    You are kidding right - 4 years ago I was missing games at Sutho's two's and getting day clearances to play for St George... Manly and UTS have shown the arrogant Premier Div sides that they are not as advanced as they would like to think so and no bottom ranked side at any Sydney club will be overly competitive in that Div one comp.

I dont know about that champ. Uts and Manly are obviously showing that but even Manly has only just got over the line in a couple of games this year. Parramattas ones havent exactly set the world on fire in Div2 and are sitting behind Uts ressies and struggled to beat us at their ground and we didnt win a game last year in Premier reserves. I havent seen the Sharks this year but the teams they are beating are the bottom three premier ressies sides from the last few years and i can tell you the likes of East Coast, Penno, Easts, Syd Uni ressies are a diff kettle of fish than the sides youv'e been playing this year.

Not involved in any clubs mentioned above but i do believe the sharks beat manly 2 out there 3 meetings last year so i think there 1's might be just as competative?

Quote Originally Posted by OLDMATE View Post
    Not involved in any clubs mentioned above but i do believe the sharks beat manly 2 out there 3 meetings last year so i think there 1's might be just as competative?
    And there depth what is that like. I see that although they beat them twice they finished fourth. Does that mean Holyroyd should be there too.

This has probably been highlighted already by someone. now its a not a huge reason, But a reason i believe the relegation system should work from the form of each teams first grade side is also for when players are dropped from 1's to 2's. they could be dropping more than one division. now i know people will argue the TEAM belongs there but perhaps a player may be put in the 2's to gain form or they are coming back from injury. i dont think many would argue premier division is a completely different pace and skill level to lower grades, so how do these players gain form? another question, how does the 1st's coach view the players progress from another ground?

we need to keep all clubs as close knit as possible on game day

Wonder what will happen now that Norths look like running second last not Wests?

Id say if it was 10 years ago and J LIvy was running the comp the rule would be scrapped and no relegation would take place.

Id love to know how many premierships Norths ressies have won, now like us they have had one bad season and they get punished.

The whole relegation system is a farce, Southern Power are coming up because they are the number 1 team but all those years were they had to play against UTS, Manly, Sydney Uni & UNSW/ES they were struggling to make the finals.

Just looking at possible promotion/relegation. One that sticks out would be Southern Power, looking likely to get to div 1 with their 2nds having to drop to Div 4 (Holroyd, who are winless in Div 3, cannot be relegated as they have a div 4 side)
    Last edited by ShortHalfHead; 27th August 2009 at 10:54 AM. Reason: bad grammar :(

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortHalfHead View Post
    Just looking at possible promotion/relegation. One that sticks out would be Southern Power, looking likely to got to div 1 with their 2nds having to drop to Div 4 (Holroyd, who are winless in Div 3, cannot be relegated as they have a div 4 side)
    Take into consideration that D3 has only 9 teams in it so there may not need to be a team relegated. - The sharks position on the ladder was no way a relection of where they were at more so an indication that no one took them lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Boy View Post
    Sounds most reasonable to me, No Idea. I have pity for Campbelltown and particularly Balmain. IMO their 2s down a division makes Balmain's return to Premier league success harder if not impossible. IMO the real impact on both of these clubs will take a few years to take effect when many of their younger players do not mature to Premier league class and the clubs fail to recruit fringe players from outside. Overall, any good club will tell you the importance of solid 2s on their first grade success. The rise of Wollongong and Sydney Uni to premier league has done little (as yet anyway) to lift the standard of football in Sydney. Possibly that was a goal of all of this in the first place??
    Mate, don't feel sorry for the Balmain Two's, they had 6 wins htis year and have progressively gotten better over the past three years with a very similar team each year. THe team basically wen't from 2nd Div to Reserve grade when mac uni raided the place. Plus if you take out the Power and Maq Uni who are far two good for DIV II, Balmain actually look pretty good. THey took it to some good sides this year, just couldn't manage the effort for four quarters. But ethere is definate improvement, which is what you want from any team. WIth roughly the same crew next year, they will be very competitive.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast