Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sat Afternoon game into Sydney...

Regular in the Side

Sat Afternoon game into Sydney...

Why is there no football on tv this afternoon?? It makes no sense!!

Quote Originally Posted by alison.z View Post
    Why is there no football on tv this afternoon?? It makes no sense!!
    Because Ch 10 is showing the Monday game between Collingwood and Melbourne. There's no game on FTA anywhere because of this.

I'm on the Chandwagon!!!

If you cannot compete for the premiership, it's better to be young and exciting than middle-aged and dowdy.

Each of Channel 7 and 10 can show 2 games FTA each. 7 and 10 agreed to split it so that Seven ahas Friday night & Sunday, Ten has Saturday day and night. However Ten can 'swap' their game to Monday or Thursday night when appropriate.

Yes. It blows.

The good news is I've been talking to the Department of Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy (Conroy's office) and once ONE becomes a national channel (currently not broadcast in some regional centres) then Channel 10 can use it to show games without simulcasting on their 'main' channel. I for one hope Channel 10 uses it to full advantage in the next rights deal, being able to carry permanent timeslots for AFL on Friday night, Saturday afternoon & night, Sunday afternoon as well as boutique timeslots, all FTA. Here's hoping.
    10100111001 ;-)

Only one Saturday arvo game this round, but the current stipulations suck.
    I only support one team: The SYDNEY SWANS!!!!!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by laughingnome View Post
    I for one hope Channel 10 uses it to full advantage in the next rights deal, being able to carry permanent timeslots for AFL on Friday night, Saturday afternoon & night, Sunday afternoon as well as boutique timeslots, all FTA. Here's hoping.
    Would be surprised if that happens to that full extent but I could see them possibly taking 7's Fri. night coverage into Sydney & Brisbane given it doesn't seem to provide a lot of value to Foxtel. All the networks seem a little less brand sensitive these days when talking about what is being broadcast on their networks (where you would never hear the words Foxtel uttered on FTA you hear it quite regularly mentioned as the host broadcaster on 7's Sunday coverage now), so maybe this might be possible.
    7 have built their brand on FNF as well as Sunday arvo, so they won't give that up nationwide in a hurry, of course depending on what Nine want to do in the picture as well.
    Don't forget 7 and 10 get a lot of their outlay from Foxtel, they wouldn't want to devalue that too much either as it's pretty good guaranteed money to offset the bigger spend to the AFL. The entry of the Western Sydney team may also provide some impetus to improved FTA in Sydney.

Quote Originally Posted by laughingnome View Post
    I for one hope Channel 10 uses it to full advantage in the next rights deal, being able to carry permanent timeslots for AFL on Friday night, Saturday afternoon & night, Sunday afternoon as well as boutique timeslots, all FTA. Here's hoping.
    Ten simply don't have the money to become the sole rights holder when you consider the AFL is seeking $1billion next time around.

Despite the vocal minority, the current arrangements work well for all concerned as the costs - both rights and production costs - are split 3 ways.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by hammo View Post
    Ten simply don't have the money to become the sole rights holder when you consider the AFL is seeking $1billion next time around.

Despite the vocal minority, the current arrangements work well for all concerned as the costs - both rights and production costs - are split 3 ways.
    You really should talk to more football followers. Across the football world it is the majority that don't like the current arrangements. I meet footy followers from right across Australia, and very few are happy with the drop from 5 to 4 games on FTA in the current deal.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    No Saturday afternoon or Sunday afternoon game again this week.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    No Saturday afternoon or Sunday afternoon game again this week.
    Because there are no games in those time slots due to the split round???

I'm on the Chandwagon!!!

If you cannot compete for the premiership, it's better to be young and exciting than middle-aged and dowdy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_B View Post
    Yep, the split round officially sucks!
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    That's a poor excuse!

Well, I feel cheated anyway.

There was no game on Saturday Afternoon, but there were two games on Sunday. A call to channel 7 shows they know nothing; they couldn't tell me why they weren't broadcasting the Hawthorn Brisbane game, on at 1pm in Hobart, without breaking their contract with the AFL. Waiting on a response from the AFL.
    10100111001 ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast