Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Goodes = Mathew Hayden

Blog Entries

Goodes = Mathew Hayden

Great talent no doubt but rarely turns it on when it matters. What's the point of playing a blinder when the team has just conceded 13 straight goals?

And for that reason I agree with the rest of the football world that Goodes is over-rated as a player. Individually brilliant but incapable of single handedly turning a game - or even changing the momentum to a significant enough degree that others can help him swing a game.

No problem with the Brownlows, it is an individual award. But we know that Sydney is not about individuals (unless you can individualise yourself by constantly sacrificing your individulaity and gain a certain status as the bloke that stands out so much for never standing out - but that's a different gripe).
    Last edited by ROK Lobster; 31st May 2009 at 01:37 PM.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by ROK Lobster View Post
    Great talent no doubt but rarely turns it on when it matters. What's the point of playing a blinder when the team has just conceded 13 straight goals?

And for that reason I agree with the rest of the football world that Goodes is over-rated as a player. Individually brilliant but incapable of single handedly turning a game - or even changing the momentum to a significant enough degree that others can help him swing a game.

No problem with the Brownlows, it is an individual award. But we know that Sydney is not about individuals (unless you can individualise yourself by constantly sacrificing your individulaity and gain a certain status as the bloke that stands out so much for never standing out - but that's a different gripe).
    How do you define "the rest of the football world"?

Quote Originally Posted by Margie View Post
    How do you define "the rest of the football world"?
    I ask the same thing ??
    Who is the rest of the Football World ROK ??
    Est 1874
    SMFC

Blog Entries
    A bit hard to turn a game when the rest of the team are playing like the local U 12's.

Yeah, ROK Lobster is right. I'd much prefer a captain who plays badly when it's tough, but gets heaps of it when the team is going well. Because, you know, if we're 10 goals up it's critical to turn it on then.

Our leaders led yesterday. The youngsters on our list couldn't follow them. That is going to happen quite a bit as we turn over our list. We will put in some great performances like last week, then some shockers like yesterday. But as they mature, the consistency will come.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    I thought this was going to be about his new cookbook, Adam Goodes presents Home Style Cooking Cajun Style??

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Puppy Eyes View Post
    Yeah, ROK Lobster is right. I'd much prefer a captain who plays badly when it's tough, but gets heaps of it when the team is going well. Because, you know, if we're 10 goals up it's critical to turn it on then.
    I'm not certain that's the point he is making (not that I'm particuarly agreeing with it).
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    Far from it, the Bulldogs (or Cats for that matter) aren't exactly a flat track! I agree with Scott!

Goodes will never be a Judd. He hasn't got that steely almost inhuman core that Judd has. Goodes is much more human and he is inconsistent. He would have been picked up higher in the draft if he had those qualities that Judd and Hodge have.

I don't expect him to turn games and never have....but he came mighty close in the GrandFinal of 2006. He and Kirk were really willing the team onby their own example.

So, yes he is flashy at various times and doesn't produce it consistently, but it is harder to play very well when your team is getting thrashed than it is when they are winning so yesterday should be raated as a good game.

It's like comparing Lockett to Dunstall. The bloke with the loaf of bread on his head was forcefed by a dominant team while the greyhound breeder had to battle for every goal in a rabble.
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by ROK Lobster View Post

Yep, Goodes's over-rated status as an elite player was my primary concern to come out of yesterday's thrashing. I feel he should have done more to turn yesterday's game and lift his team mates rather than concentrate on his own game by having a blinder.

I'd be very unhappy to have his inconsistency and lack of application in my every day life.

BTW: Love to see Judd in a ruck contest.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Yep, Goodes's over-rated status as an elite player was my primary concern to come out of yesterday's thrashing. I feel he should have done more to turn yesterday's game and lift his team mates rather than concentrate on his own game by having a blinder.

I'd be very unhappy to have his inconsistency and lack of application in my every day life.

BTW: Love to see Judd in a ruck contest.
    Strange response.
    Last edited by Lohengrin; 31st May 2009 at 09:08 PM.

How can we expect others to rate him when some of his supporters can't even see how brilliant he is? Sorry but this thread is ridiculous.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast