Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sydney and Nick Davis locked in dispute over payments - Melbourne Herald Sun

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    I should say reading over what I wrote previously I think I've probably made it sound more clear cut than it actually is, I believe there is still scope for a review of the specific injury (ongoing career impact) etc. which may also be a point of contention with it all.

One thing that may throw a spanner in the works is whether AFL Canberra is classified as being a fully fledged state body competition, and if so whether listed players receive a seperate match payment or not for it. If it is then he is entitled to up to 2 years of potential games (capped at 30) at that rate (approx $600, so about $18,000 if a state body and they receive seperate match payments)- however if it's either not a state body competition or the player's aren't paid a match payment for it then he is possibly entitled to the same number (capped at 30) at his contracted senior match payment rate; based on the minimum senior match payment for 2008 that'd be $2600 per game- so for 30 games it'd be $78k, however if they did opt to put hefty incentive components in Nick's pay and they offered him a relatively low base but a significantly increased senior match payment (which I believe they can do) then that figure could stack up pretty quickly.
    His career as a first grade footballer with Sydney had finished effectively before he was injured in Canberra. His potential to even get another contract was zero. After bludging on the club for the previous two seasons he lodges a speculative claim when he has been rejected by every club in the comp. Nice work if you get it.
    Bevo bandwagon driver

Veterans List
    Someone said "get a job". He has a job, "punter". It was pretty clear it was going to be a seamless transition after footy and he put in plenty of practice in getting ready.
    The mail is though, not a very good punter.

So how long will 200 large last him.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by connolly View Post
    His career as a first grade footballer with Sydney had finished effectively before he was injured in Canberra. His potential to even get another contract was zero. After bludging on the club for the previous two seasons he lodges a speculative claim when he has been rejected by every club in the comp. Nice work if you get it.
    Regardless of opinions either way, I don't know that it's particuarly relevant whether he was a shot to play senior footy again or not; he was still on the senior list when the injury occured.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Blog Entries
    Maybe the Swans could sue him for breach of his statutory fiduiciary duty to try his hardest (under the subjective Kirk test) pursuant to his contract. Davis probably owes the club miney, don't you reckon conners.

Quote Originally Posted by ROK Lobster View Post
    Maybe the Swans could sue him for breach of his statutory fiduiciary duty to try his hardest (under the subjective Kirk test) pursuant to his contract. Davis probably owes the club miney, don't you reckon conners.
    I reckon we all broke even in the end Lobs. His natural ability booted us into one of the greatest wins in our history (there were others there as well mind you) in as stirring a twenty minutes of sport that has been played anywhere and the club gave him a regular wage through some of the most desultory performances ever put in a red and white geurnsey. i actually do agree with a decent compo system. Good luck to him hope he makes it in an increasingly harsh world.
    Bevo bandwagon driver

Blog Entries
    I reckon we all broke even in the end Lobs. His natural ability booted us into one of the greatest wins in our history (there were others there as well mind you) in as stirring a twenty minutes of sport that has been played anywhere and the club gave him a regular wage through some of the most desultory performances ever put in a red and white geurnsey. i actually do agree with a decent compo system. Good luck to him hope he makes it in an increasingly harsh world.
    Nice work

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234