• West (Parramatta'ish)

1 0.79%
  • Northwest

12 9.52%
  • Southwest

14 11.11%
  • South / Shire

4 3.17%
  • Greater Sydney (eg Newcastle, Wollongong, Blue Mountains)

9 7.14%
  • Other NSW/ACT

8 6.35%
  • Non -NSW (including, of course, our valued Victorian brethren)

44 34.92%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Region of origin

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    I'm pretty sure that residents of the Blue Mountains would disagree with that!

Haha yes. I have always regarded "West" as being between Blacktown and Penrith. Any further west and it becomes "Mountains"

177th Senior AFL Match - Round 4, 2009 - Sydney vs Carlton, SCG. This is obviously out of date. I suppose I'll update it once I could be bothered sitting down with the fixture and working it out....
    Des' Weblog

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    I'm pretty sure that residents of the Blue Mountains would disagree with that!
    We do. We look down on those Penrith folk (literally).
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Blog Entries
    I said South, although technically, it is SSW.

Senior Player
    I'm fairly certain the ABS relies upon the following statistical divisions for greater metropolitan Sydney with the Mountains as far as Lithgow falling under Outer Western Sydney. Not sure if a poll allows for this many categories having never created a poll myself. There are plenty of vagaries however and is always a difficult thing to neatly encapsulate. People who live in a particular region may identify with an adjoining region too.

Metro Regions

BL Blacktown
    CB Canterbury - Bankstown
    CNS Central Northern Sydney
    CWS Western Suburbs / Parramatta
    ES Eastern Suburbs
    FLV Fairfield - Liverpool
    GW Gosford - Wyong
    ISY Inner Sydney
    IWEST Inner Western Sydney
    LNS Lower Northern Sydney
    NB Northern Beaches
    OSWS Outer South Western Sydney
    OWS Outer Western Sydney
    SGS St George - Sutherland

For the purposes of the poll I ended up identifying with where I live now (Blue Mountains) and intend to live until I die. I'm not sure that I have had a place that I'd call 'home' until now having lived in 30+ residences throughout my life, born in Sydney, grew up in Melb, returned to Sydney, lived inner west, mountains, northern beaches, north bondi, inner city... no wonder I'm unstable. Though I ain't moving again. Enough is enough.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Born and bred in Blacktown, played all my junior footy there,senior footy out in the Hawkesbury for last 12 yrs,now a resident of this great part of the country. Hawkesbury RECOGNISE!

Paddo boy myself, though as of this year I'm in Canberra. Very surprised by the number of people from inner/south/north west on this board!
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

The buses from God's Country, aka The Shire, are always pretty packed for the Homebush games. Although it is generally always the same diehard fans.
    And the man who started it all, the Schneiderman . . . . .

Regular in the Side
    Canberra has it's own Government and I hear very soon will have it's own afl team

Quote Originally Posted by BSA5 View Post
    Paddo boy myself, though as of this year I'm in Canberra. Very surprised by the number of people from inner/south/north west on this board!
    Yeah, and if Bear has his way, we'll all end up supporters of the new western Sydney club.

It'll make this year's membership collapse look like a blip on the radar.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheer Squad View Post
    Yeah, and if Bear has his way, we'll all end up supporters of the new western Sydney club.

It'll make this year's membership collapse look like a blip on the radar.
    In fairness, it's not the inner west population that the new team will be looking to attract; it's the WEST west. Newtown, Marrickville, Erskineville, and even out to Homebush, all those places are basically within range of the Swans, and separate from the (admittedly stereotypical) working class culture of the Greater West of Sydney. It's Blacktown, Campbelltown, genuine western Suburbs, that the Western Sydney team should be appealing to.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Quote Originally Posted by BSA5 View Post
    In fairness, it's not the inner west population that the new team will be looking to attract; it's the WEST west. Newtown, Marrickville, Erskineville, and even out to Homebush, all those places are basically within range of the Swans, and separate from the (admittedly stereotypical) working class culture of the Greater West of Sydney. It's Blacktown, Campbelltown, genuine western Suburbs, that the Western Sydney team should be appealing to.
    Don't bring fairness and reason into the world of Cheer Squad. It won't suit his/her argument.
    "As a player he simply should not have been able to do the things he did. Leo was a 185cm, 88kg full-back and played on some of the biggest, fastest and best full-forwards of all time, and constantly beat them." Roos.
    Leo Barry? you star! We'll miss ya, ''Leapin''.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Canberra has it's own Government and I hear very soon will have it's own afl team
    And they will win a flag before Freo.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast