Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: A discussion on drafting

Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    I've wondered about this - I'm sure all the recruiters have been thru their game theory permutations, but it seems to me as I see it that if you have a good chance of losing an uncontracted player to GC, clubs would be desperate to try and do a trade instead - if that's the case, and given the heightened value of early draft picks, there's clearly a chance for some real "bargains". I'm certainly not convinced that the Swans won't be prepared to go the marquee recruiting route if they think they might find their next Plugger/Bazza.
    If you loose an uncontracted player to the gold coast are are compensated with a draft pick from the afl, the formula considers a range of things including where that player was drafted, their age and where they finished in the b & f and their club ranking they then determine which round of the draft that player is worth and you get a pick.

So i dont really think there will be a fire sale clubs will have to weigh up what they can get for the player v the compensation pick they would get from the afl.

There are bargains going around at draft time with clubs unwilling to give up draft picks hence why we got Shaw so cheap i think he would probably cost more had there not been compromised drafts in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Brisbane's achievement in playing in 4 grand finals was outstanding. But after scraping into the finals in their first non-GF year in 2005, they have finished outside the top 8 for the last 3 seasons. And despite retaining much of the core of their very best players from their "dynasty", including Black, Brown and Power.

Port were almost as good during that period as the Lions - indeed they were as good during the H&A but just fell to bits in the finals, 2004 excluded. Since they started to "rebuild" they have had one excellent year, 100+ pt GF thrashing aside, and have been pretty pathetic in the other two completed seasons. This year looks to be more of the same. They certainly don't appear to be any more competitive a unit than the Swans, despite being arguably a couple of years further in the "rebuild" and having had access to significantly higher draft picks than the Swans.

West Coast managed to be so pathetic just two years after winning a GF (and supposedly embarking on a dynasty of their own) that they qualified for a priority pick - and could yet get a pre-first round priority pick in 2009.

All this goes to show just how hard it is to stay at or near the top of the ladder for an extended period and to bounce back quickly, even while retaining a core of superb players.
    This is a clear indication that the difference between a premiership team and a team outside the 8 isn't the top 6 players - it's the bottom 6.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by UglyDuckling View Post
    If you loose an uncontracted player to the gold coast are are compensated with a draft pick from the afl, the formula considers a range of things including where that player was drafted, their age and where they finished in the b & f and their club ranking they then determine which round of the draft that player is worth and you get a pick.

So i dont really think there will be a fire sale clubs will have to weigh up what they can get for the player v the compensation pick they would get from the afl.

There are bargains going around at draft time with clubs unwilling to give up draft picks hence why we got Shaw so cheap i think he would probably cost more had there not been compromised drafts in the near future.
    Thanks for that - wasn't quite sure how it worked. Is this in writing somewhere or policy by press release?

Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    Thanks for that - wasn't quite sure how it worked. Is this in writing somewhere or policy by press release?
    here is an article from afl.com explains it pretty well

Gold Coast's draft rules explained - AFL.com.au

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234